    Message 1 of 785 , Jan 8, 2006
      When you meditate, breathe naturally, just as you always do.

      Focus your awareness lightly on the outbreath. When you breathe out, just
      flow out with the outbreath. Each time you breathe out, you are letting go
      and releasing all your grasping. Imagine your breath dissolving into the
      all-pervading expanse of truth.

      Each time you breathe out, and before you breathe in again, you will find
      that there is a natural gap, as your grasping dissolves.

      Rest in that gap, in that open space. And when, naturally, you breathe in,
      don�t focus especially on the inbreath but go on resting your mind in the
      gap that has opened up.

      The teachings show us precisely what will happen if we prepare for death and
      what will happen if we do not. The choice could not be clearer. If we refuse
      to accept death now, while we are still alive, we will pay dearly throughout
      our lives, at the moment of death, and thereafter. The effects of this
      refusal will ravage this life and all the lives to come.

      We will not be able to live our lives fully; we will remain imprisoned in
      the very aspect of ourselves that has to die. This ignorance will rob us of
      the basis of the journey to enlightenment, and trap us endlessly in the
      realm of illusion, the uncontrolled cycle of birth and death, that ocean of
      suffering that Buddhists call �samsara.�

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011