    Message 1 of 785 , Nov 1, 2005
      There is a spark of hope, a playful humor about the posture we take in
      meditation, which lies in the secret understanding that we all have the
      buddha nature. So when you assume this posture, you are playfully imitating
      a buddha, acknowledging and giving real encouragement to the emergence of
      your own buddha nature. You begin to respect yourself as a potential buddha.

      At the same time, you still recognize your relative condition. But because
      you have let yourself be inspired by a joyful trust in your own true buddha
      nature, you can accept your negative aspects more easily and deal with them
      more generously and with more humor.

      When you meditate, invite yourself to feel the self-esteem, the dignity, and
      the strong humility of the buddha that you are. If you simply let yourself
      be inspired by this joyful trust, it is enough: Out of this understanding
      and confidence, meditation will naturally arise.

      You can have no greater ally in the war against your greatest enemy, your
      own self-grasping and self-cherishing, than the practice of compassion. It
      is compassion, dedicating ourselves to others, taking on their suffering
      instead of cherishing ourselves, that, hand in hand with the wisdom of
      egolessness, destroys most effectively and most completely that ancient
      attachment to a false self that has been the cause of our endless wandering
      in samsara. That is why in our tradition we see compassion as the source and
      essence of enlightenment and the heart of enlightened activity.

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011