    Message 1 of 785 , May 31, 2005
      Imagine you are sitting in front of a glass door that leads out into your
      garden, looking through it, gazing out into space. It seems as though there
      is nothing between you and the sky, because you cannot see the surface of
      the glass. You would bang your nose if you got up and tried to walk through,
      thinking it wasn�t there. But if you touch it you will see at once that
      there is something there that holds your fingerprints, something that comes
      between you and the space outside.

      In the same manner, the ground of the ordinary mind prevents us from
      breaking through to the skylike nature of our mind, even if we can still
      have glimpses of it. We have to break out of the ground of the ordinary mind
      altogether, to discover and let in the fresh air of Rigpa.

      When you practice, say you find yourself in a deep state of stillness; often
      it does not last very long as a thought or a movement always arises, like a
      wave in the ocean. Don�t reject the movement or particularly embrace the
      stillness, but continue the flow of your pure presence. The pervasive,
      peaceful state of your meditation is the Rigpa itself, and all risings are
      none other than this Rigpa�s self-radiance. This is the heart and the basis
      of Dzogchen practice.

      One way to imagine this is as if you were riding on the sun�s rays back to
      the sun: You trace the risings back, at once, to their very root, the ground
      of Rigpa. As you embody the steadfast stability of the View, you are no
      longer deceived and distracted by whatever rises, and so cannot fall prey to
      delusion.

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011