    Message 1 of 785 , Mar 6 9:15 PM
      Ego is the absence of true knowledge of who we really are, together with its
      result: a doomed clutching on, at all costs, to a cobbled together and
      makeshift image of ourselves, an inevitably chameleon charlatan self that
      keeps changing, and has to, to keep alive the fiction of its existence.

      In Tibetan, ego is called dakdzin , which means �grasping to a self.� Ego is
      then defined as incessant movements of grasping at a delusory notion of �I�
      and �mine,� self and other, and all the concepts, ideas, desires, and
      activities that will sustain that false construction.

      Such grasping is futile from the start and condemned to frustration, for
      there is no basis or truth in it, and what we are grasping at is by its very
      nature ungraspable. The fact that we need to grasp at all and to go on
      grasping shows that in the depths of our being we know that the self doesn�t
      inherently exist. From this secret, unnerving knowledge spring all our
      fundamental insecurities and fears.

      Remember the example of an old cow:
      She�s content to sleep in a barn.
      You have to eat, sleep and shit�
      That�s unavoidable�anything
      Beyond that is none of your business.
      Do what you have to do
      And keep yourself to yourself.

      PATRUL RINPOCHE

      Find just what you are after with the more precise, more powerful new MSN
      Search. http://search.msn.com.sg/ Try it now.
      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011