Glimpse for October 25th.

  • gurupemasiddhihum
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2004
      It has often intrigued me how some Buddhist masters I know ask one
      simple question of people who approach them for teaching: "Do you
      believe in a life after this one?" They are not being asked whether
      they believe in it as a philosophical proposition but whether they
      feel it deeply in their hearts. The master knows that if a man
      believes in a life after this one, his whole outlook on life will be
      different, and he will have a distinct sense of personal
      responsibility and morality. What the masters must suspect is that
      there is a danger that people who have no strong belief in a life
      after this one will create a society fixated on short-term results,
      without much thought for the consequences of their actions.

      Could this be the major reason why we have created a world like the
      one we are now living in, a world with hardly any real compassion?

      -Sogyal Rinpoche in the book: "Glimpse After Glimpse" available
      online at:
      http://www.rigpaus.org/Glimpse/Glimpse.php