Re: What is the basis of a Dharma Protector?

  • gurupemasiddhihum
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2004
      --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, tiarana_y <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Dharma Friends,
      >
      > I am a Buddhist of mainly the chinese mahayana tradition and so am
      > not very versed in the practice of Dharma Protectors. I have a few
      > queries about the practice of them.
      >
      > 1. What is the function and basis of fully enlightened Dharma
      > Protectors like Palden Lamo, Yamantaka, Mahakala, Kalarupa et al?
      ------------------------------
      It is a good question and there is no one simple answer that can be
      based on interpretation possible to encounter in newspapers. The
      answer is based on on very high teachings within Buddhist thought and
      goes beyound mundane understanding as i said. The key to it can sound
      something like this: "Enlightened nature manifests countless forms to
      turn us all towards Dharma" so if it looks like something and you are
      applying standart available and say: "wrathfull!" it may in fact just
      be "made" of compassionate means and in nature is nothing else but
      Bodhichitta manifesting in such way to benefit beings.

      > What about non-enlightened Protectors who were subdued and bound by
      > the Great Guru Rinpoche or other Great Lamas like Mamo Ekajati,
      > Rahula,Nechung and others?
      >
      > 2. Do Dharma Protectors punish or leave devotees to the consequences
      > of their Karma if the devotees are not 100% obedient to their guru?
      > ( With either good solids reasons or even excuses out of attachment
      > etc )
      ------------------------
      There are protectors that are synonimous to spirits, powerfull Lamas
      can put them in service. There can be harm and benefit associated with
      spirits. Protection from 3 jewels is unfailing and it is up to you
      to get tangled up in fears/hopes associated with spirits or select
      some one like Buddha Amitabha for protection with full trust and
      unwavering faith. Then nothing would ever be able to harm you. Buddha
      Amitabha is said to be very original protector of beings continually
      guiding them to eventual rebirth in Sukhavati(in Indian language) or
      Dewachen(in Tibetan language) or Pure Land(realm) of Great Bliss,
      which is Buddha Amitabha's pure land.

      It is also important to remember that Avolokiteshvara is Sambhigakaya
      emanation of Dharmakaya Buddha of Lotus family Amitabha and Guru
      Rinpoche is Nirmanakaya emanation and Hayagriva is an emanation of
      Buddha Amitabha as well. There is Buddha Amitabha in front of every
      being at all times...

      > Please educate me on this subject matter,
      >
      > Thank you
      > TY

      Hope it helps a little bit :)