Glimpse for February 17th

  • gurupemasiddhihum
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2004
      As we follow the teachings and as we practice, we will inevitably
      discover certain truths about ourselves that stand out prominently:
      There are places where we always get stuck; there are habitual
      patterns and strategies that are the legacy of negative karma, which
      we continuously repeat and reinforce; there are particular ways of
      seeing things - those tired old explanations of ourselves and the
      world around us - that are quite mistaken yet which we hold onto as
      authentic, and so distort our whole view of reality.

      When we persevere on the spiritual path, and examine ourselves
      honestly, it begins to dawn on us more and more that our perceptions
      are nothing more than a web of illusions. Simply to acknowledge our
      confusion, even though we cannot accept it completely, can bring some
      light of understanding and spark off in us a new process, a process
      of healing.

      -Sogyal Rinpoche in the book: "Glimpse after Glimpse" available
      online: http://www.rigpa.org/Glimpse/Glimpse.php
    • gurupemasiddhihum
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2004
        We all have the karma to take one spiritual path or another, and I
        would encourage you, from the bottom of my heart, to follow with
        complete sincerity the path that inspires you most.

        If you go on searching all the time, the searching itself becomes an
        obsession and takes you over. You become a spiritual tourist,
        bustling about and never getting anywhere. As Patrul Rinpoche
        says: "You leave your elephant at home and look for its footprints in
        the forest." Following one teaching is not a way of confining you or
        jealously monopolizing you. It's a compassionate and practical way of
        keeping you centered and always on your path, despite all the
        obstacles that you, and the world, will inevitably present.