Gates to Buddhist Practice by Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche

  • acephane
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2003
      OFFERINGS

      From "Gates to Buddhist Practice" by Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche:

      Practice has to happen consistently right where the mind is active,
      right there with the experience of desire or anger or happiness, at
      each moment. Then your meditation and your work join - it's a kind
      of marriage. If you want swift results, it's not enough to
      meditate only an hour or two a day. Never think, "I'll work
      now and meditate later." Who knows if you'll live that long?
      The lord of death is hard to put off. When he comes to visit, he
      won't listen if you say, "I'm sorry, but I've been so
      busy, and now I need to meditate. Just give me a week, a month, or
      three years."

      Through devoted practice, we develop the ability to transform
      negative conditions into supportive ones. Called "carrying
      adversity onto the path," this means not being obstructed,
      swayed, or overwhelmed by something, but seeing it as an opportunity
      to practice.

      The entire phenomenal world then acts as a teacher helping us to
      develop skill in dealing with life. We can make everything that
      happens to us a part of the path. Trials become opportunities for
      practice because they force us to develop patience. We learn to
      accept adversities joyously because we understand that, when we
      suffer, we purify karma. A single headache can purify what would be
      hundreds of years of suffering in a hell realm. This doesn't
      mean we reject happiness; rather, we rejoice in it, dedicate our
      merit to others, and pray that their happiness will last.

      "Gates to Buddhist Practice" by Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche, Junction
      City, California: Padma Publishing, 1993.