Glimpse of the day, January 1st

  • kyabdro
    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 1, 2003
      When a much larger number of people know the nature of their minds,
      they'll know also the glorious nature of the world they are in, and
      will struggle urgently and bravely to preserve it. It's interesting
      that the Tibetan word for "Buddhist" is nangpa. It means "insider":
      someone who seeks the truth not outside but within the nature of his
      or her mind. All the teachings and training in Buddhism are aimed at
      that one single point: to look into the nature of mind, and so free
      us from the fear of death and help us realize the truth of life.

      -SOGYAL RINPOCHE in the book the Book: "Glimpse After Glimpse"

      Glimpses in your mail: http://www.rigpa.org/cgi-local/mojo.cgi
    • kyabdro
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 20, 2003
        Our minds can be wonderful, but at the same time they can be our very
        worst enemy. They give us so much trouble. Sometimes I wish the mind
        were like a set of dentures, which we could take out and leave on our
        bedside table overnight. At least we would get a break from its
        tiring and tiresome escapades.

        We are so at the mercy of our minds that even when we find that the
        spiritual teachings strike a chord inside us, and move us more than
        anything we have ever experienced, still we hold back, because of
        some deep-seated and inexplicable suspicion.

        Somewhere along the line, though, we have to stop mistrusting. We
        have to let go of the suspicion and doubt, which are supposed to
        protect us but never work, and only end up hurting us even more than
        what they are supposed to defend us from.