Glimpse of the day, December 31st

  • kyabdro
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 30, 2002
      Men come and they go and they trot and they dance, and never a word
      about death. All well and good. Yet when death does come - to them,
      their wives, their children, their friends - catching them unawares
      and unprepared, then what storms of passion overwhelm them, what
      cries, what fury, what despair! . . .

      To begin depriving death of its greatest advantage over us, let us
      adopt a way clean contrary to that common one; let us deprive death
      of its strangeness, let us frequent it, let us get used to it; let us
      have nothing more often in mind than death. . . . We do not know
      where death awaits us: so let us wait for it everywhere.

      To practice death is to practice freedom. A man who has learned how
      to die has unlearned how to be a slave.

      MONTAIGNE

      -SOGYAL RINPOCHE in the book the Book: "Glimpse After Glimpse"

      Glimpses in your mail: http://www.rigpa.org/cgi-local/mojo.cgi
    • kyabdro
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 20, 2003
        Our minds can be wonderful, but at the same time they can be our very
        worst enemy. They give us so much trouble. Sometimes I wish the mind
        were like a set of dentures, which we could take out and leave on our
        bedside table overnight. At least we would get a break from its
        tiring and tiresome escapades.

        We are so at the mercy of our minds that even when we find that the
        spiritual teachings strike a chord inside us, and move us more than
        anything we have ever experienced, still we hold back, because of
        some deep-seated and inexplicable suspicion.

        Somewhere along the line, though, we have to stop mistrusting. We
        have to let go of the suspicion and doubt, which are supposed to
        protect us but never work, and only end up hurting us even more than
        what they are supposed to defend us from.