Glimpse of the day, December 1st

  • kyabdro
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2002
      The beginner's mind is an open mind, an empty mind, a ready mind, and
      if we really listen with a beginner's mind, we might really begin to
      hear. For if we listen with a silent mind, as free as possible from
      the clamor of preconceived ideas, a possibility will be created for
      the truth of the teachings to pierce us, and for the meaning of life
      and death to become increasingly and startlingly clear.

      My master Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche said: "The more and more you
      listen, the more and more you hear; the more and more you hear, the
      deeper and deeper your understanding becomes."

      -SOGYAL RINPOCHE in the book the Book: "Glimpse After Glimpse"

      Glimpses in your mail: http://www.rigpa.org/cgi-local/mojo.cgi
    • kyabdro
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2002
        Gradually, as you remain open and mindful, and use a technique to
        focus your mind more and more, your negativity will slowly be
        defused; you begin to feel well in your own skin, or, as the French
        say, ĂȘtre bien dans sa peau ("well in your own skin"). From this
        comes release and a profound ease. I think of this practice as the
        most effective form of therapy and self-healing.

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 3, 2002
          Every single negative thing we have ever thought or done has
          ultimately arisen from our grasping at a false self, and our
          cherishing of that false self, making it the dearest and most
          important element in our lives. All those negative thoughts,
          emotions, desires, and actions that are the cause of our negative
          karma are engendered by self-grasping and self-cherishing. They are
          the dark, powerful magnet that attracts to us, life after life, every
          obstacle, every misfortune, every anguish, every disaster, and so
          they are the root cause of all the sufferings of samsara.

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 4, 2002
            It is important to reflect calmly, again and again, that death is
            real and comes without warning.

            Don't be like the pigeon in the Tibetan proverb: He spends all night
            fussing about, making his bed, and dawn comes up before he has even
            had time to go to sleep.

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 5, 2002
              Realizing the View subtly but completely transforms your vision of
              everything. More and more, I have come to realize how thoughts and
              concepts are all that block us from always being, quite simply, in
              the absolute. Now I see clearly why the masters so often say: "Try
              hard not to create too much hope and fear," for they only engender
              more mental gossip. When the View is there, thoughts are seen for
              what they truly are: fleeting and transparent, and only relative. You
              see through everything directly, as if you had X-ray eyes. You do not
              cling to thoughts and emotions or reject them; you welcome them all
              within the vast embrace of Rigpa. The things you took so seriously
              before - ambitions, plans, expectations, doubts, and passions - no
              longer have any deep and anxious hold on you, for the View has helped
              you to see the futility and pointlessness of them all, and born in
              you a spirit of true renunciation.

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 6, 2002
                Devotion is the purest, quickest, and simplest way to realize the
                nature of mind and all things. As we progress in it, the process
                reveals itself as wonderfully interdependent: We, from our side, try
                continually to generate devotion, which itself generates glimpses of
                the nature of mind, and these glimpses only enhance and deepen our
                devotion to the master who is inspiring us. So in the end devotion
                springs out of wisdom: devotion and the living experience of the
                nature of mind become inseparable and inspire each other.

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 7, 2002
                  What is our life but a dance of transient forms? Isn't everything
                  always changing? Doesn't everything we have done in the past seem
                  like a dream now? The friends we grew up with, the childhood haunts,
                  those views and opinions we once held with such single-minded
                  passion: We have left them all behind. Now, at this moment, reading
                  this book seems vividly real to you. Even this page will soon be only
                  a memory.