Emptiness and Modern Physics, NYC, Jan 7

  • evam.institute
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2012

      EMPTINESS AND MODERN PHYSICS

      Dr Fred Cooper

      When: Saturday January 7, 2012

      Time: 10am-12.30pm & 2-4.30pm

      Place: 1455 Lexington Avenue, 2A (@ 94t Street) New York

      Cost: $60 ($30 per session)

      The course will consist of sessions of analytic meditation on emptiness from the perspective of modern physics and sessions of insight meditation on the nature of mind from the Mahamudra text, Ocean of Definitive Meaning, by the 9th Karmapa, Wangchuk Dorje. This will be interspersed with a discussion of various current trends in String Theory and Quantum Cosmology that might enhance our understanding of interdependence and emptiness. Analytic meditation on Emptiness is the process of deconstructing our concepts about the nature of self and phenomena. The lack of solidity of reality is more easily understood once one recognizes how our senses and mind create a seemingly solid reality from what exists on the sub-atomic level. We now know that even the concepts of space and time dissolve in the sub microscopic regime where quantum gravity effects are important. Recent cosmological theories suggest the possibility of a diversity of universesâ€"multiverses each having different laws of physics. This knowledge helps us realize intellectually that what I think of as a “cup” or a “hand” is really the result of interdependence specific to our particular universe. On a more experiential level, the language of quantum physics give us a way of describing metaphorically some of the experiences one has during meditation when one is observing thoughts and feelings. The structure of the quantum vacuum provides an interesting metaphor for how thoughts arise from and return to the mind and one finds a good metaphor for the store consciousness (alayavijnana) in the quantum vacuum.

      Dr Fred Cooper is a quantum field theorist who was a PhD student of the Nobel Prize winning Physicist, Sheldon Glashow, one of the co-inventors of the Standard Model of Elementary Particle Physics. Fred has written over 200 published papers in various Physics Journals and co-authored the book Supersymmetry and Quantum Mechanics. From 2002-2009, Fred was the Program Director for Theoretical Physics at the National Science Foundation. He is currently a staff member in the Theory Division of Los Alamos National Labs and is on the External Faculty of the Santa Fe Institute. He has been a student of HE Tai Situ Rinpoche since 1981 and received from him the entire transmission of the Ngedon Gyatso (Ocean of Definitive Meaning) by the 9th Karmapa. He has also received direct Mahamudra transmissions from HE the first Kalu Rinpoche and VV Mingyur Rinpoche. Fred has been teaching meditation at Karma and Shangpa Kagyu centers affiliated with HE Kalu Rinpoche for over 20 years. He currently is the President of Kagyu Shenpen Kunchab Buddhist Center in Santa Fe, NM.

      To register call E-Vam Institute on 518-392-6900 or email office@...