Khenpo Samdup/ Blazing Wisdom Dzogchen Retreat/Dec 8-11/Bristol, VT

  • DDCV ,DDCV
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2011
      Khenpo Samdup
      Blazing Wisdom Dzogchen Retreat

      Manjushri Empowerment

      Madhyamaka Practical Wisdom Teachings

      Trekcho "cutting through" Dzogchen Instructions:
      The Three Statements of Garab Dorje

      December 8-11, 2011
      Bristol, Vermont

      To see this online go to www.ddcv.com

      *****

      Thursday, December 8
      Manjushri "Blazing Wisdom" Empowerment

      The empowerment of Manjushri is one of the most important empowerments and
      practices in Vajrayana Buddhism. Through the unbroken lineage of realized
      masters going back to Shakyamuni Buddha, the blazing wisdom which cuts
      through all ignorance has been passed down from teacher to student. It is
      only through severing the root of ignorance that we can put to rest the
      afflictive emotions which cause ourselves and others so much suffering.
      Because it is from ignorance that all the afflictive emotions are born. It
      is a great blessing to be able to receive this Manjushri empowerment from
      Khenpo Samdup, for it is a practice that he has taken to heart, and through
      this empowerment the seed of blazing wisdom that goes back to the historical
      Buddha and other great realized masters will be planted within us, and if we
      do the practice, the seed of wisdom will grow into a blazing wisdom that
      will cut through our own ignorance, allowing our Buddha nature to awaken
      and manifest for the benefit of all sentient beings.
      Time: 7 PM
      Sug. Don. - $25
      Location: 2 Elm St. Bristol, VT

      *****

      Friday, December 9
      Madhyamaka Practical Wisdom Teachings:
      The Method which Severs the Root of Ignorance

      Madhyamaka is a powerful and universal means of calming our afflictive
      emotions and awakening our inner wisdom. It is a method that works with our
      everyday experience in a very practical way. Through this method we can
      deconstruct and cut through our ignorance and allow the sunshine of wisdom
      to penetrate the darkness of delusion that obscures our true nature. For
      Westerners, raised in a culture devoid of faith and devotion, Madyamaka is a
      method through which we can use reason, logic and analytical meditation to
      prove and gain certainty of the truth of the Buddhist wisdom teachings.
      Khenpo Samdup, though realizing the true nature of mind through the direct
      pointing out instructions of Khenpo Munsel, one of the greatest Dzogchen
      masters of the last century, chose to continue his studies and realize the
      teachings of Madhyamaka, so as to be able to benefit sentient beings who are
      unable through faith and devotion alone to recognize their true nature. So
      this is a very special and auspicious opportunity to be introduced to the
      teachings of Madhyamaka, from a true Khenpo, who has a unique gift in
      transmitting these teachings, which draw in part on skills we have naturally
      learned already receiving a Western education. Don't miss this opportunity
      to receive practical teachings which can cut the root of ignorance and
      ignite the fire of blazing inner wisdom.
      Time: 2-5 PM and 7-9 PM
      Sug. Don. - $50
      Location: 2 Elm st. Bristol, VT

      *****

      Saturday-Sunday, December 10-11
      Dzogchen Trekcho "cutting through" Instruction:
      The Three Decisive Statements of Garab Dorje:
      Khenpo Munsels Blazing Wisdom Teachings

      The opportunity to receive these teachings from Khenpo Samdup is the
      greatest kindness and most precious opportunity. These are the teachings
      that Khenpo received when he went together with his root Lama H.E. Garchen
      Rinpoche, to receive the heart essence Dzogchen Trekcho teachings from one
      of the greatest Dzogchen Masters of the last century, Khenpo Munsel. Khenpo
      Munsel was such a sublime and realized Master, that H.E. Garchen Rinpoche
      took him at his own root Lama. It was from Khenpo Munsel that Khenpo Sumdup
      was first truly introduced to the nature of his own mind. So to be able to
      receive these quintessential Trekcho Dzogchen teachings from Khenpo Samdup,
      is to be touched by the living wisdom mind of Khenpo Munsel, who though he
      has left the body, continues to benefit countless beings, through the
      blazing wisdom that he passed down to H.E. Garchen Rinpoche, Khenpo Samdup,
      and many other great realized beings. This is an opportunity to connect with
      the living wisdom mind of all the Buddhas, in a very direct and personal
      way. The Three Statements of Garab Dorje, in and of themselves, if taken to
      heart and practiced, will without a doubt bring about great realization in
      this lifetime, the wisdom that can put an end to suffering and be of true
      benefit to others.
      Time: 10-12 & 2:30-5 PM Both Days
      Sug. Don. - $100
      Location: 2 Elm St. Bristol, VT

      *****

      Registration

      For those attending the complete Retreat(December 8-11) the suggested
      donation is $150.

      To Register please email ddcv@...
      Or call 802-453-3431
      Work Study and Scholarships Available
      No one turned away for financial reasons.

      If you are able to pre-register for these teachings
      that is very much appreciated. But it is also ok to register at the door the
      day of the event.
      Registration checks should be made out
      to DDCV and sent to:

      DDCV
      PO Box 252
      Bristol, VT 05443

      You can also pay by Paypal.
      Our Paypal account is ddcv@...
      To pay by credit card please call 802-453-3431.

      All teachings December 8-11, 2011
      will take place at 2 Elm St. Bristol, VT 05443.

      Community Housing

      Inexpensive community housing is available for $20-25 per night. Contact us
      at ddcv@... or call 802-453-3431 if you need housing.

      Transportation from Airport/Bus/Train Station

      For those coming from out of town we can arrange transportation for you from
      Burlington, VT, which is the closest city to come by plane, train or bus. We
      often can also find rides for people coming from Boston or New York City. We
      will do whatever we can to help you attend these teachings, please don't
      hesitate to contact us and let us know what your needs are.

      ****

      AN ABBREVIATED ACCOUNT OF MY DHARMA HISTORY
      BY KHENPO SAMDRUP

      I was born in Kham, in the Nangchen region of Eastern Tibet. When I was
      seven years old I received the vows of Refuge from Garchen Rinpoche, and at
      the age of twelve I became ordained as a monk. I learned how to perform lama
      dance and pujas, and to play various musical instruments and so forth. For
      three years I traveled every winter with Rinpoche making the rounds to over
      15 or so different towns to hold great accomplishment practices, or
      drubchens. During the summers we would stay in retreat at the monastery in
      Gargon. Not long after that I had the great fortune of traveling with my
      kind root lama, Garchen Rinpoche to Amdo, where I met another extraordinary
      and highly realized lama, the Revered Dzogchen master Khenpo Munsel. From
      this great master I was able to receive instructions on trekchod and togyal,
      as well as direct pointing out instructions on the nature of mind. I also
      received teachings on the practices of refuge, the four thoughts that turn
      the mind and so on from many of the great Khenpos who were staying there
      with Khenpo Munsel. From these experiences I found that my mind had been
      deeply transformed. And I realized that to be monk without an authentic
      understanding of the Dharma would be of no real benefit, that without
      developing the mind through study, contemplation, and meditation, merely
      reciting mantras and going through the motions of ritual, it is difficult to
      accomplish one's own benefit, let alone the benefit of others. Not only
      that, but to sustain and nurture the recognition of mind's essence one has
      to meditate. And in order to grasp the profound meaning of the practices
      based on the pith instructions it is important to develop certainty with
      respect to the meaning of the teachings on The Middle Way.

      Prior to my experience with Khenpo Munsel I had faith and devotion, but I
      was lacking understanding. Now I knew that my practice of the Dharma had
      been based on blind faith, so from this point on I became especially
      interested in the study of Buddhist philosophy, and particularly the topics
      of Buddhist logic, reasoning, and the teachings of The Middle Way. I came to
      understand that through study and contemplation there arises a faith that's
      based on reason.

      The main objective of Buddhism is to reach the state of liberation and
      complete omniscience, and the path that accomplishes that objective is the
      conduct of love and compassion, and bodhicitta, together with the view of
      emptiness and karmic interdependence. I felt determined to apply myself to
      the practice of study, contemplation, and meditation.

      But at that time the Chinese government began to tighten its hold on the
      Tibetan people and they were starting to place many restrictions on the
      local monasteries. They made a new rule that no monks under the age of
      eighteen were allowed to stay at the monastery. So I went home to live with
      my family for some time.
      Later I heard about the great qualities of the master Khenpo Jigme Puntsok,
      and I gave rise to a strong longing to meet him. So before long I set out on
      a challenging journey alone to Khenpo Jigme Puntsok's monastery in Amdo,
      hoping I would finally be able to devote myself to study, contemplation, and
      meditation. It was a far distance away and at that time in Tibet the
      condition of the roads was very bad, so there were very few people traveling
      that way. It ended up taking me over a month to get there. When I arrived I
      found that I was much younger than most of the monks and I had great
      difficulty understanding and communicating because my dialect was so
      different. There was practically nobody there from my region at that time so
      I was quite alone and without any friends. There are plenty of amusing
      stories I could tell from those times, but I won't get into those here.

      I was however able to meet with Khenpo Jigme Puntsok and I received many
      pith instructions, empowerments and teachings. I also was able to receive
      teachings on almost all of the Twelve Great Scriptures from his main student
      Khenpo Tsultrim Lodro. I stayed at Khenpo Jigme Puntsok's for more than four
      years. During that time I was also able to visit the great yogi Khenpo
      Chokyab who resided nearby. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that his
      level of realization was comparable to that of Milarepa. From him, I was
      also very blessed to receive many pith instructions and clarifications on
      the meaning of texts.

      The number of monks who flocked to receive teachings at the feet of Khenpo
      Jigpe Puntsok had been steadily growing by the hundreds, and the Chinese
      were becoming nervous. So before long they began to impose restrictions on
      the numbers of people permitted to gather there. Once again I returned to my
      village where my father started a small school and I worked as a teacher of
      reading and writing and giving Dharma teachings at the local monastery. My
      own studies however still were not over. Later I would go on to study for
      four years at Dzogsar Shedra and then went on to Kagyu College where I
      received a graduate degree and taught for five years.

      Given the oppressive atmosphere in Tibet due to the control of the Chinese,
      I escaped to India,crossing the Himalayas by foot. When I reached the Noble
      land of India I was able to meet and receive the blessings of H.H. the Dalai
      Lama. and H.H. Chetsang Rinpoche.

      ******

      May these teachings benefit all sentient beings!
    • DDCV ,DDCV