Beginner Questions

  • jmvelez00
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2010
      Hello,

      I have a question on malas. How do you use them? I have used prayer beads before but I think in a different way then you use malas. Also, in Tibetan Buddhism does one usually feel closer to a specific Buddha?( White Tara, Medicine Buddha, etc.) Thanks for any info you send my way.

      Jose
    • Kellie Snider
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2010

        I am not an expert, but…

        The way I’ve been taught to use a mala is to use it to count the repetitions of a chant.  The mala consists of 108 beads (or 21 for a wrist mala) and a larger bead called a Buddha bead.  The Buddha bead is there to let you know when you’ve completed the circuit of the mala.  For example, after taking your refuge vows, you may chant “I give refuge to the Buddha, I give refuge to the dharma, I give refuge to the sangha”.  By touching the mala beads you can keep track of how many times you’ve said the words without actually counting.

        Hope this helps- and there may be other ways to use the mala, but this is just the way I know.

        Kellie Snider

        "Be a light unto yourself."  Gautama Siddartha

        I have a question on malas. How do you use them? I have used prayer beads before but I think in a different way then you use malas. Also, in Tibetan Buddhism does one usually feel closer to a specific Buddha?( White Tara, Medicine Buddha, etc.) Thanks for any info you send my way.

        Jose

      • Sherab Gyatso
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5 9:02 PM
          --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Kellie Snider" <the.kellie@...> wrote:

          > I am not an expert, but.

          ================================

          I would say that if you use mala to count your prayers or mantras(very short prayers) then you are the expert!

          > The way I've been taught to use a mala is to use it to count the repetitions
          > of a chant. The mala consists of 108 beads (or 21 for a wrist mala) and a
          > larger bead called a Buddha bead. The Buddha bead is there to let you know
          > when you've completed the circuit of the mala. For example, after taking
          > your refuge vows, you may chant "I give refuge to the Buddha, I give refuge
          > to the dharma, I give refuge to the sangha". By touching the mala beads you
          > can keep track of how many times you've said the words without actually
          > counting.

          ===============================
          All of the above can be pretty good,

          More common way to say the refuge is:
          I take(or I go for) refuge in Buddha,
          I take refuge in Dharma
          I take refuge in Sangha.
          Thus refocusing your general system of values, which has great benefits.
          Can be also
          Homage to Buddha
          Homage to Dharma
          Homage to Sangha.

          Meaning Buddha is #1, Dharma is #1, Sangha is #1.....

          It is a very good idea to take part in a "Refuge Ceremony" to receive refuge from some one who has taken refuge in the lineage of the Buddha, obviously the greater that person in your eyes, the firmer refuge impression can be on you.
        • albert levy
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6 10:53 AM
            one of the first things I did as I did my research was to make a mala.. I have one that is finish and two others....I will post pics later.....

            A XIII

            93 93/93
            "Love is the Law Love under Will"

            Message 5 of 5 , May 6 11:42 AM
              I loaded some pics of the Mala I made on the site look in the photo section under Crafty Stuff....there are three all made with beads that I already had ..... one is made with wooden beads the others are glass. 2 have turquoise but no tassel yet.....