FW: Rigpa Glimpse of the Day

    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 23, 2010

      It cannot be stressed too often that it is the truth of the teaching that is all-important, and never the personality of the teacher. This is why Buddha reminded us in the Four Reliances:

      Rely on the message of the teacher, not on his personality;
      Rely on the meaning, not just on the words;
      Rely on the real meaning, not on the provisional one;
      Rely on your wisdom mind, not on your ordinary, judgmental mind.

      It is important to remember that the true teacher is the spokesman of the truth: its compassionate “wisdom display.” All the buddhas, masters, and prophets are the emanations of this truth, appearing in countless skillful, compassionate guises in order to guide us, through their teachings, back to our true nature.

      At first, more important than finding the teacher is finding and following the truth of the teaching, for it is through making a connection with the truth of the teaching that you will discover your living connection with a master.

       Sogyal Rinpoche

      New Windows 7: Simplify what you do everyday. Find the right PC for you.
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 21, 2011

        I remember how people would often come to see my master Jamyang Khyentse simply to ask for his guidance for the moment of death. He was so loved and revered throughout Tibet, especially in the eastern province of Kham, that some would travel for months on end to meet him and get his blessing just once before they died. All my masters would give this as their advice, for this is the essence of what is needed as you come to die:

        “Be free of attachment and aversion. Keep your mind pure. And unite your mind with Buddha.”