US budgets $17 million for TIBET

  • Cittamani
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2009

      Part of letter from ICT.

      "Congress responds to numbers and when ICT goes to the Hill, our reputation and broad-based support from thousands of people like you makes them take notice and deliver.

      I am happy to report that funding recently approved for the 2009 budget totaled almost $17 million for a wide range of Tibet programs, including:

      • Tibetan refugee programs that ensure health care, food, clothing, and transportation. More than 100,000 Tibetan refugees in India and Nepal receive basic health care and have access to education because of your support of ICT's advocacy work.

        Funding for non-government organizations working inside Tibet supporting the preservation of Tibetan culture, promoting sustainable development, and advancing environmental conservation.

      • Radio Free Asia and Voice of America Tibetan language broadcasts into Tibet, the main media source of information not controlled by the Chinese government.

      • Funding for the Office of the Special Coordinator for Tibetan Issues. This State department position is charged with coordinating U.S. policy on Tibet and promoting dialogue between His Holiness the Dalai Lama and China.

      This year, funding also included $1 million to establish a Tibet section in the U.S. Embassy in Beijing to monitor political, economic, and social developments inside Tibet until there is a U.S. consulate in Lhasa. The Lhasa consulate was approved last year by Congress following much hard work on Capitol Hill by ICT's advocacy team. For a complete list of programs funded, visit the Policy Center of our website. "

      John Ackerly
      President

      International Campaign for Tibet
      1825 Jefferson Place NW | Washington, DC 20036
      info@... | 202-785-1515

      http://www.savetibet.org/