9768Spiritual Names

  • faunalotus
    Jan 1, 2008

      I'm curious how people have come by their spiritual names?  What methods did you use to choose it?  Or was it given to you by somebody else?  How many times has it changed since you began your path, if at all?  If you do not have a spiritual name do you even want one?  What holds you back?

      During the summer of 2006 I stayed at a yoga ashram as a volunteer and as I worked beside the residents there I learned of their names and how they came by them.  Once someone had been there for a certain amount of time and grew spiritually their guru gave them a spiritual name he felt was appropriate for that person.  They were beautiful sanskrit names.  Since then part of me has always yearned for a teacher/ guru/ spiritual advisor to know me enough spiritually to give me a name they felt suited me.

      That is not in the cards at this time and I don't know if it ever will be.  For now I will just be happy as I am and choose for myself as my spiritual path continues to unfold before me.

      Namaste,
      Fauna Lotus

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic