9750[TBG] Re: How can we as Buddhist develop more Compassion ?:

  • imperialdlptutoring
    Dec 19, 2007
      Thanks Steve! On the first point, I still hold that skillfullness and
      kind and gentle speech are important when dealing with disturbed and
      vulnerable people and other 'difficult' situations in life. I take as
      my basic moral benchmark 'non harm' (in speech and action). Will my
      words (or actions) do harm to others?? If so, then either remain
      silent or rephrase them (more skillfully) in a form that will not do
      harm.

      On the second point I think the issue of responsibility and
      diminished responsibility is a complicated one legally and in
      relating to/helping people suffering mental illness. But, as a
      relative Buddhist neophyte, I'm grateful for your explanation from
      the Buddhist perspective, and will take some time to try and digest
      this and it's implications!

      Metta,

      Mike (who really will try and go quiet here, having made his point...)

      --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, Steven Levey
      <sallev1@...> wrote:

      > Dear Mike,
      > Regarding this statement of yours:
      > "I personally, believe kind and gentle speech is VERY important
      online
      > when communicating with/about these troubled/disturbed individuals
      who,
      > through no fault of their own, are suffering mental illness."
      > I feel a couple of ways at once about this. First, let me say
      that I think your basic point is well taken. But I also think it
      serves well to have another explain a situation as best they can,
      (such as he who initially made us aware of the other's issues)
      without, as you mentioned, harsh overtones. That is, if they are
      really aware of something regarding a possible abuse of trust, of
      which others may not.
      > Secondly, If it were true that the mental instability in
      question were really-karmically, not the fault of the disturbed
      individual, then by the law of our being and Karma, there would be no
      way for one to make corrections (even as presented by a practioner),
      if they were inclined to allow Buddhism to work its alchemy upon them
      through a new humility and Mindfullness. This is because we are all
      responsable for the state of our minds, even in so much that the
      causes seem inscrutable. So, if we are not the cause, then we can not
      be the effect. Therefore, it must be true-only if we are the cause
      can we be effective in making the change, which we first have to
      admit we need (no small task), and then admit that only through "self
      devised and self imposed efforts" can equalibrium be reinstated-by
      the one who at some point must have been the original cause in the
      resultant disequalibrium (even in the case where our Karma has had us
      incarnate in a body with
      > an imperfect mind/brain relationship-it is still our Karma!). It
      is taught, and experience shows, that Cause and Effect is an exact
      linear relationship, although egoity wishes for only reasons it
      knows, to make it seem otherwise. Of course this is part of the
      problem of any resultant mental disequalibrium.
      > There is a Tibetan text which says that "The mind is the great
      slayer of the Real. Let the disciple slay the slayer". The
      implication being that it is only though Buddha mind that the Monkey
      mind can be aligned. However, until then, the Monkey mind is, through
      attachment to external phenomena, making desicions based upon Mara.
      To varying degrees, this is the cause of delusion for all of us and
      to those most afflicted, it is also the basis of
      their "troubled/disturbed" state.
      > None of the above is merely imperical. It is an understanding
      arrived at through Mindfullness and application to my own issues, as
      I have learned from those wiser than me. Does it require
      a "Professional" to present the antidote? Or, will a "wakefull" being
      do? Can there be both?-Sure. I think it aught to be said however, as
      Psong ka pa points out, as do others, that this human state is rare
      to attain, and per the Diamond Sutra, it is must be even further rare
      to have the Karma of the Three Jewels in ones life. To abuse such a
      combination seems very sad.

      > Steve

      Wellness

      > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs