      From: imperialdlptutoring <imperialdlptutoring@...>
      To: tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2007 5:00:26 AM
      Subject: [TBG] Re: How can we as Buddhist develop more Compassion ?:

      Just picking up on one (important) point and then I really will go
      quiet, return to my practice, and allow the group/list to do the same:

      --- In tibetanbuddhistgrou p@yahoogroups. com, "dorjeshonnu"
      <dorjeshonnu@ ...> wrote:

      > Kusum Lingpa only recognized him to be a pretty crazy guy. He seemed
      > to me to be mentally unbalanced although not harmful.

      Since Buddhism IS par excellence about sanity and having a healthy mind
      (and, indeed, the benefits of meditation in terms of mental health are
      widely documented), not surprisingly, quite a few people suffering
      mental illness ARE drawn to Buddhism (in a genuine effort to take
      control of their minds and help themselves). So my personal view is
      that the compassionate action, so far as possible, is to welcome these
      individuals and applaud/assist them in their efforts to help themselves
      (albeit sometimes deluded and misguided) rather than condemn them.

      I also believe quite a few individuals suffering mental illness
      subscribe to online Buddhist lists like this one. So, since people
      suffering mental illness may be very vulnerable, and we cannot know
      what state of mind they are in when posting/reading online messages I,
      personally, believe kind and gentle speech is VERY important online
      when communicating with/about these troubled/disturbed individuals who,
      through no fault of their own, are suffering mental illness. If anyone
      reading this post IS suffering mental illness (and there is no stigma
      in that) perhaps I could draw your attention to the Buddhist Wellness
      Group:

      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/BuddhistWe llnessGroup/

      ... which has an explicitly mental health focus and where all are
      welcomed (whether monks or not ;-) ).

      OK, I really WILL go quiet here and leave everyone in peace to get on
      with their practice!

      With metta,

      Mike