9491RE: Rigpa Glimpse of the Day

    Mar 2, 2007
      ..when we ask, what is the substantial cause of the material universe way
      back in the early history of the universe, we trace it back to the space
      particles which transform into the elements of this manifest universe. And
      then we can ask whether those space particles have an ultimate beginning.
      The answer is no. They are beginningless. Where other philosophical systems
      maintain that the original cause was God, Buddha suggested the alternative
      that there aren't any ultimate causes. The world is beginningless. Then the
      question would be: Why is it beginningless? And the answer is, it is just
      nature. There is no reason. Matter is just matter.

      Now we have a problem: What accounts for the evolution of the universe as we
      know it? What accounts for the loose particles in space forming into the
      universe that is apparent to us? Why did it go through orderly processes of
      change? Buddhists would say there is a condition which makes it possible,
      and we speak of that condition as the awareness of sentient beings.

      --from "Consciousness at the Crossroads: Conversations with the Dalai Lama
      on Brain Science and Buddhism" edited by Zara Houshmand, Robert B.
      Livingston, and B. Alan Wallace, published by Snow Lion Publications

      You can think of the nature of mind like a mirror, with five different
      powers or �wisdoms.� Its openness and vastness is the �wisdom of
      all-encompassing space,� the womb of compassion. Its capacity to reflect in
      precise detail whatever comes before it is the �mirrorlike wisdom.� Its
      fundamental lack of any bias toward any impression is the �equalizing
      wisdom.� Its ability to distinguish clearly, without confusing in any way
      the various different phenomena that arise, is the �wisdom of discernment.�
      And its potential of having everything already accomplished, perfected, and
      spontaneously present is the �all-accomplishing wisdom.�

      For meditation to happen, calm and auspicious conditions have to be created.
      Before we have mastery over our minds, we need first to calm their
      environment.
      At the moment, our minds are like a candle flame: unstable, flickering,
      constantly changing, fanned by the violent winds of our thoughts and
      emotions. The flame will burn steadily only when we can calm the air around
      it; so we can only begin to glimpse and rest in the nature of mind when we
      have stilled the turbulence of our thoughts and emotions. On the other hand,
      once we have found a stability in our meditation, noises and disturbances of
      every kind will have far less impact.

      The beginner�s mind is an open mind, an empty mind, a ready mind, and if we
      really listen with a beginner�s mind, we might really begin to hear. For if
      we listen with a silent mind, as free as possible from the clamor of
      preconceived ideas, a possibility will be created for the truth of the
      teachings to pierce us, and for the meaning of life and death to become
      increasingly and startlingly clear.

      My master Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche said: �The more and more you listen, the
      more and more you hear; the more and more you hear, the deeper and deeper
      your understanding becomes.�

      Gradually, as you remain open and mindful, and use a technique to focus your
      mind more and more, your negativity will slowly be defused; you begin to
      feel well in your own skin, or, as the French say, �tre bien dans sa peau
      (�well in your own skin�). From this comes release and a profound ease. I
      think of this practice as the most effective form of therapy and
      self-healing.

      Every single negative thing we have ever thought or done has ultimately
      arisen from our grasping at a false self, and our cherishing of that false
      self, making it the dearest and most important element in our lives. All
      those negative thoughts, emotions, desires, and actions that are the cause
      of our negative karma are engendered by self-grasping and self-cherishing.
      They are the dark, powerful magnet that attracts to us, life after life,
      every obstacle, every misfortune, every anguish, every disaster, and so they
      are the root cause of all the sufferings of samsara.

      Find singles online in your area with MSN Dating and Match.com!
      http://cp.intl.match.com/eng/msn/msnsg/wbc/wbc.html
    • Show all 785 messages in this topic