9448RE: Rigpa Glimpse of the Day

    Jan 1, 2007
      .....there are various factors that contribute to attaining that level of joy
      and happiness which we conventionally also recognize as sources of
      happiness, such as good physical health, ...the wealth that we accumulate,
      .....and a circle of friends we trust and with whom we can relate
      emotionally.

      Now all of these are, in reality, sources of happiness, but in order for one
      to be able to fully utilize them with the goal of enjoying a happy and
      fulfilled life, one's state of mind is crucial. If one harbors hateful
      thoughts within, or strong or intense anger somewhere deep down, then it
      ruins one's health, so it destroys one of the factors. Even if one has
      wonderful possessions, when one is in an intense moment of anger or hatred,
      one feels like throwing them--breaking them or throwing them away. So there
      is no guarantee that wealth alone can give one the joy or fulfillment that
      one seeks. Similarly, when one is in an intense state of anger or hatred,
      even a very close friend appears somehow "frosty," cold and distant, or
      quite annoying.

      What this indicates is that our state of mind is crucial in determining
      whether or not we gain joy and happiness. So leaving aside the perspective
      of Dharma practice, even in worldly terms, in terms of our enjoying a happy
      day-to-day existence, the greater the level of calmness of our mind, the
      greater our peace of mind, and the greater our ability to enjoy a happy and
      joyful life.

      --from "Healing Anger: The Power of Patience from a Buddhist Perspective"
      by the Dalai Lama, translated by Geshe Thupten Jinpa, published by Snow Lion
      Publications

      Whatever is happening to us now mirrors our past karma. If we know that, and
      know it truly, whenever suffering and difficulties befall us, we do not view
      them particularly as failures or catastrophes, or see suffering as a
      punishment in any way. Nor do we blame ourselves or indulge in self-hatred.

      We see the pain we are going through as the completion of the effects, the
      fruition, of a past karma. Tibetans say that suffering is �a broom that
      sweeps away all our negative karma.� We can even be grateful that one karma
      is coming to an end. We know that �good fortune,� a fruit of good karma, may
      soon pass if we do not use it well, and that �misfortune,� the result of
      negative karma, may in fact be giving us a marvelous opportunity to evolve.

      Some day, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and
      gravity, . . . we shall harness . . . the energies of love. Then, for the
      second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.

      TEILHARD DE CHARDIN

      The belief in reincarnation shows us that there is some kind of ultimate
      justice or goodness in the universe. It is that goodness that we are all
      trying to uncover and to free. Whenever we act positively, we move toward
      it; whenever we act negatively, we obscure and inhibit it. And whenever we
      cannot express it in our lives and actions, we feel miserable and
      frustrated.

      The way to discover the freedom of the wisdom of egolessness, the masters
      advise us, is through the process of listening and hearing, contemplation
      and reflection, and meditation. They advise us to begin by listening
      repeatedly to the spiritual teachings. As we listen, they will keep on and
      on reminding us of our hidden wisdom nature.

      Gradually, as we listen to the teachings, certain passages and insights in
      them will strike a strange chord in us, memories of our true nature will
      start to trickle back to us, and a deep feeling of something homely and
      uncannily familiar will slowly awaken.

      Get MSN Messenger emoticons and display pictures here!
      http://ilovemessenger.msn.com/?mkt=en-sg
    • Show all 785 messages in this topic