Re: [TI994A] Re: [TI-99/4A] PEB status report (changed from PEB woes?)

  • Bill R Sullivan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 23, 2013
      I just reported the sad news to Jaime that the replacement for the failed NanoPEB V2.0 serial port, failed immediately on power up (CTS signal only), but otherwise works well with the 2GB CF card that came with the first unit a little over a week ago, so my hardware woes continue.  Not to be out done by TI bobby hardware the 23" flat screen that serves as monitor for my TI support PC and the F18A powered NanoPEB system failed yesterday evening.  I was able to shutdown the TI system blindly, but not sure I want to try and shut down the PC blindly, so it's heart is still beating as I type on my laptop.  The only other monitors that I still have is the 16" flat screen used by the F18A powered TI with TI PEB system, and the Polish Commodore 1084 Analog RGB 220VAC monitor out in the garage.  I do have a transformer for it, so useable for SNUG-TI and/or Geneve.

      It will be a while before I can replace the bad monitor as my car will be ready this Wednesday, and I still owe a thousand on it.  Oh well, I've lived on tighter budgets before.  I just have to decide which hobby system I want to use for the next month or so.  I'm not watching much TV these days, so I could bring the 37" flat screen TV over for that time. ;-)

      Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

      On 9/12/2013 11:26 AM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
      Because I didn't find any of the usual buss buffer chips (74LS244 OR 74LS245) on this Corcomp Triple-Tech card I pulled all the 64K spool-er RAM chips in hopes that one of them would be the culprit, but no such luck.  My recent hobby hardware history remains consistent.

      Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

      On 9/12/2013 10:16 AM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
      In spite of a new lithium battery the Triple-Tech card only gave me the F18A green & black Logo screen of death and the obnoxious loud screeching noise.  I put the SPVMC back in and all is well.  This is consistent with my recent history of  bad hardware issues, so not a surprise.

      Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

      On 9/11/2013 8:21 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
      I'vw been to the desert (AKA my hot 3 car garage) in search of a variable step down transformer, and I found two weighty transformers, one for the TI PEB and the other a step up from 110 VAC to 220 VAC which is the one I used to power my only remaining/working Analog RGB monitor that I brought back from Poland.  It appars to be the only monitor/TV out there, but I recall seeing a couple of others along with my very old RCA 20" TV that still worked, but now no where to be seen,  I wonder, what's going on?

      I went through everything (boxes & trunks) that I knew were mine.  No high value hobby items; CF7A+/NanoPEB, SNUG-TI 40MB MFM hard drive, 80K GramKracker, SuperCart and all my self built Jon Guidry carts (16K & up, TF, CF2K+DM2K combo, etc.) six or so.   I did find everything except the two Tulin TL240 40MB MFM hard drives to re-assemble my old WDS-100 system as I have two Myarc Personality cards but just one Western Digital Hard and Floppy drive Controller card which fits perfectly with the two half-height Tulin drives in the external WDS-100 case that sits beneath or on top of a PEB sitting vertically on the power supply end.  All the cables are still connected to the WD 1002-05 controller card.  However it seems I was preparing the WDS-100 drive case to accommodate two SCSI drives as the case has IN & OUT SCSI connectors and cable mounted.

      I will decide later which way to go on this project as I have half a mind to put a 45 MB half-height MFM drive and a combo floppy drive in the WDS-100 case, if I can make the 1.2MB part function only as a 300RPM & DSDD 80 track drive.  Something to think about during one of my sleepless nights.  I also found another TI Speech adapter, only this one is  a Corcomp Triple-Tech card.  Has not  been in a PEB since I last lived in Texas (1995).  I wonder how the battery for the clock feature is?  I'll find out tomorrow.  No, I popped the CR2032 out, and she's dead.  I'll have to find the documentation so I can set the clock once I replace the battery.  Oh well, 18 years is a wee too long for a cheap battery to last, I guess.

      Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

      On 9/11/2013 2:02 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
      Hi Richard,

      Yes, and I did that for 10 minutes or so the other day, but did not help.  I'm thinking the 7805 bit the dust, and the battery only powers the RAM, and none of the other circuitry.  However, the local Radio Shack is no longer stocking such items, and I bought the last they had (two) and 2 7812 regulators a few weeks ago for restoring TI power to a RS-232 card I last used in Poland.  Back then my non-GenMod Geneve had all PEB cards with 7805 &7812 regulators removed.  After my return to the States I restored all cards, but RS-232 as I had lots of them (5 or 6)..

      Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

      On 9/10/2013 10:42 PM, swim4home@... wrote:

      Bill, does your HRD16 have a jumper for the battery circuit? You may need to disconnect battery power for 30 seconds to uncorrupt the memory chips and then start over with loading the CorComp ROS or the MYARC ROS. CorComp ROS is the default ROS for SNUG HRD16..

      On 09/10/13, Bill R Sullivan<br911sullivan@...> wrote:

      The last few days have been costly as I screwed up using DISKU as I couldn't find the documentation until after the disaster.  The diskette seems to have been marred for life, but I have some other recovery methods to try.  The big loss was my 3MB HRD-16 being wiped out, and so far I have not been able to restore the individual RAM "drives" to working order with CFG.  They seem to be OK, at first, until I try to copy files to it or save a BASIC program to it which causes that particular RAM "drive" to disappear, and one by one I can make everyone of them disappear in like manner.

      Yesterday I was sure I lost a couple of 720K real 3.5" DSDD 80 track diskettes (never previously used), but this morning I'm sure I have another 3.5" floppy drive starting to fail.  As you may recall I replaced this drive DSK2 right after the PEB failed, so now faced with another one about to fail totally.  The only apparent possible cause is that the 5VDC measures 6 volts, if my Radio Shack analog read-out multi-meter is to be trusted.  Which reminds me that I thought I lost the only floppy drive in my TI support PC also, but I swapped it out twice without success.  I may be suffering from all this medication I'm taking more than I thought.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Just choose the poison you wish to respond to wisely.  This means please be kind if I've missed the obvious.

      Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

      On 9/7/2013 4:25 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
      Hi all,

      Some good news to report as you may have noticed in my chats with Greg McGill my hard drive issue with the working PEB (SCSI & IDE) is some what alleviated with a successful RS-232 connection to my TI support PC peripheral running  more wonderful application software from that Wiz across the pond Fred Kaal known as HDX this time.  I did use it before for just a short time back in Golden Shores with my now missing CF7A+/NanoPEB, but never discovered the secret of accessing the local USB printer.

      For a while the other day I thought I had 4 bad RS-232 cards, as for some reason or another not even the good ones will work in one particular PEB slot.  I got busy preparing another TI-99/4A console for a new NanoPEB2 that will be on it's way shortly, so I now have two F18A powered TI consoles, thus allowing me to use both systems without further eye strain.  I will get back to running down the RS-232 issue with that one PEB slot.  Soon I hope, but my grandson, Kyle the Marine, is home visiting right now.  He's spending time with old hometown buddies at the moment, so I'm continuing to enjoy hobby fun while I can.  Talk to you later.

      Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

      On 8/28/2013 8:30 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
      Good news!  SCSI now working well.  I can access the Solid State SCSI drive, the SyQuest EZFlyer 230MB drive and the SyQuest EZ135MB drive.  I can see the SCSI CD-ROM drive, but I have to find the software on a SCSI cartridge somewhere before I can test it.  I do have CD-ROM discs for it.  I also have many cartridges for the EZFlyer230MB & EZ135MB drives besides those currently mounted.  Nice to even see the backups I made just before departing Poland late 1997.

      Having hobby fun again--life is sweet.

      Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

      On 8/28/2013 5:58 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
      Eric,

      I have as much of my TI/Geneve software in emulation files (mostly V9T9) as I could legitimately copy, so I'm also as safe as I can be, but I derive a lot of my hobby fun by using the real hardware.

      Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

      On 8/28/2013 5:00 PM, Eric wrote:

      I reasoned the same thing as you; our electronic equipment was manufactured thirty (30) years ago in the case of the TI-99/4A consoles & cards and around twenty-five (25) years ago for the third party electronics. I don't think many of those devices were designed to function for much longer than a quarter century.

      That is why I too switched over to using both Classic99 & Win994a on a 8GB SD Card. That way I am sure that my collection of TI-99/4A and third party equipment won't have to a chance to suffer from resistor, capacitor, diode, and chip failure that "Murphy's Law" saws eventually will happen!

      Why constantly invite a headache almost every time the older electronic equipment has current applied to it?

      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, richgilbertson@... wrote:

      > I had to opt out and go Classic99 full on emulations as keeping up the hardware was becoming impossible on my retirement money.
      >

      > Besides I can make Youtube videos much easier on a PC or Mac as I have no video camera.
      >

      > Rich

  • Bill R Sullivan
    Message 2 of 9 , Sep 24, 2013
      DO NOT DISTURB FOR NEXT TWO DAYS!

      Important find:

      1. SNUG-TI 40MB MFM hard drive in case with cables.
      2. TI Workshop 64K Module & E/A SuperCart.  Still missing 16K TF and 64K CF2K+DM2K+DU2K combo modules
      3. CF7A+ with 512MB CF card & NanoPEB V1.0 with 2GB CF card.
      4. 80K GramKracker

      I will be very busy for the next couple of days.  Only problem apparent is the lack of one monitor for two separate workstations.

      Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

      Message 3 of 9 , Sep 25, 2013
        Here's a good report (see below)
        Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
        On 9/24/2013 11:13 AM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
        DO NOT DISTURB FOR NEXT TWO DAYS!

        Important find:

        1. SNUG-TI 40MB MFM hard drive in case with cables.
        Now operational in standard TI PEB system.
        2. TI Workshop 64K Module & E/A SuperCart.  Still missing 16K TF and 64K CF2K+DM2K+DU2K combo modules
        TI Workshop & E/A SuperCart are functional.
        3. CF7A+ with 512MB CF card & NanoPEB V1.0 with 2GB CF card.
        Both the CF7A+ and and NanoPEB V1.0 are functioning as expected.   The NanoPEB V1.0 works well via RS-232 switch with HDX server on PC.  So it becomes the replacement for the NanoPEB V2.0 with bad COM1 port.
        4. 80K GramKracker.
        Thank God it's a functioning 80K GramKracker,  My most valued NanoPEB peripheral, especially for TIB+ development.

        I will be very busy for the next couple of days.  Only problem apparent is the lack of one monitor for two separate workstations.
        This is and remains the biggest problem until November when I might have a few extra dollars for hobby stuff.

        Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2013
          This is a "Good news--Bad news" report.  To begin with I'm not sure anyone is interested in these reports.  I will write them anyway as a log to myself of significant hobby events.  Yesterday was a BAD day and the day before was a GOOD day.

          Before the GREAT find of my long missing CF7A+ and NanoPEB V 1.0 and 80K GramKracker along with TI Workshop (close second to 80K GK as best peripheral for these sidecar devices) I was busy loading V9T9 disk images to the 2GB CF card that came with my new NanoPEB V 2.0 from Jaime Maliling.  Of course, I was bummed out when the serial/COM1 port failed after about 30 minutes of operation, and down right pissed off when the replacement arrived with the serial port/COM1 dead on arrival.  I don't know how many others have NanoPEB V 2.0 and what their experience is with it.  I would be interested hearing some GOOD reports on this version as I am an advocate for these sidecar units that can help keep old and new TI'ers using, at least, one real piece of TI hardware in their hobby pursuit.  Really, how many of us had a TI PEB with just a few TI clam-shell cards back in the day that they cost real money?  Have most of the crowd (?) here switched to emulators only?  Don't get me wrong, I gladly used MESS for software development especially the AL coding process that would bang the hell out of my old hard drives (MFM & SCSI) connected to my TI/Geneve systems.  Admittedly I was mostly re-arranging existing AL code (from TI Forth) than writing original AL code, as some of you know.  I digress.

          I quite enjoy writing software be it in TI BASIC, or X4th99 or dabbling in AL, even though my typing skills are diminished by the medication I'm taking.  A lot more typos to correct is not devastating (maybe a little frustrating) as it is when old PEB cards get damaged even more in my hardware repair attempts as yesterday proved to be.  The TI console that just got upgraded to F18A 80 column capability started having module seating problems--not that I remove the 80K GK very frequently, but sometimes I also test some programs I intend to use in my re-discovered 8K SuperCart first, and in some cases with BCART installed.  This too is fun stuff.  Back to the seating problem that deteriorated to the point no module or GK would seat, so I was forced to disassemble the TI console in an attempt to realign the module port connector.  The process went really well considering my inherent eyesight and medicine induced difficulties and the fact that I had to remove the power-supply and keyboard again just to adjust the module port connector.  During re-assembly I constantly tested the module port by inserting & re-inserting a little used TI XB module (I think I have 3), and checking key movement of the top row of keys on the keyboard.

          Re-assembly competed, so I rechecked the module port and keyboard one last time before hooking up and powering up.  Switched on NanoPEB then TI console and voila TI title screen.  Plugged in TI XB module and got reset & TI title screen, pressed space bar and the TI title screen remained, so I pressed as many other keys as possible, but the TI title screen remained.  Once again, i was sure, i had busted the keyboard from it's short little ribbon cable and connector to the TI motherboard, just as I had done back in Golden Shores 3 times doing the first F18A install.  Back then I wasn't on any medicines just working in a hot house of a little over 100 degrees, but I wanted to see the F18A output as I knew it would be months after the move before I could even hope to do such a hardware project in the new house (new to us).

          Back out to the garage to retrieve bag of TI keyboards.  I know which box they're in and exactly where that box is, so I'm back inside my room quickly going through all the keyboards to determine how many still have the ribbon cable and connector attached.  Exactly 3, and they're all gray. so this black & silver TI console will have a gray keyboard for it's remaining life--ugh.  I should have known better than attempt to do the keyboard replacement on the same day as my attempt to fix the bad module port, bit i did it in an act of what I considered, at the time, to be "bravery" rather than "foolishness".  Now the module port is bad , and the top row of keys all stick from time to time as tested in TI BASIC as no matter how hard I tried to button down the keyboard so the upper row of keys would not sticik, they still do anyway.  I'm still hoping some brave soul with good hardware skills will volunteer to do these hardware repairs for me at a reasonable/fair price.

          I guess I jumped into this hardware repair fiasco due to the software success I had the day before.  Still using the crippled NanoPEB V 2.0, I started adapting and adding TI BASIC programs just for this system beginning with a Tursi fixed Winfried Winkler 80 column Editor Assembler and MSAVE in GRAM 7 of my GK.  I discovered that when I went to add the TIB+ install program MSAVE reported insufficient memory to store it, so I decided to store all the other TI BASIC programs in the 8K of RAM at >6000 using BCART, after using that abused TI XB module to merge them all into just one large program of less than 8K (imagine telling your PC friends that or even Mark Wills for that matter :-) ), and the TIB+ install in the 8K of MSAVE along with other TI BASIC programs planned or in development.

          Hardware wise I'm very sad, but software wise I'm happy, but I would prefer to program X4th99 in fig-Forth or parts in AL as the case may be than program in TI BASIC, but I believe TIB+ is closer to completion, and one area of success is enough to keep me involved even with all the frustration caused by the hardware failures, random or of my own making.  Until next time, happy TI-ing, and may the Forth be with you--fig or TF.  Bill

          Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

          On 8/28/2013 5:00 PM, Eric wrote:

          I reasoned the same thing as you; our electronic equipment was manufactured thirty (30) years ago in the case of the TI-99/4A consoles & cards and around twenty-five (25) years ago for the third party electronics. I don't think many of those devices were designed to function for much longer than a quarter century.

          That is why I too switched over to using both Classic99 & Win994a on a 8GB SD Card. That way I am sure that my collection of TI-99/4A and third party equipment won't have to a chance to suffer from resistor, capacitor, diode, and chip failure that "Murphy's Law" saws eventually will happen!

          Why constantly invite a headache almost every time the older electronic equipment has current applied to it?

          --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, richgilbertson@... wrote:

          > I had to opt out and go Classic99 full on emulations as keeping up the hardware was becoming impossible on my retirement money.
          >

          > Besides I can make Youtube videos much easier on a PC or Mac as I have no video camera.
          >

          > Rich

          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

        • Jeff White
          Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2013
            Your troubles make ours seem piddling, Bill. Hope things work out.

            Jeff White
          • Bill R Sullivan
            Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 2013
              But, Jeff, I only asked for GOOD reports on NanoPEB V 2.0.  I don't want anyone to have the TI hardware problems I have or even the VGA and Analog RGB monitor issues.  Not even me! :-)

              Bill R Sullivan (fdos)