Re: [TI-99/4A] HDX circuit board project

  • Gregg Eshelman
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2013
      If you need to plug a cable to an IC socket there are IDC IC DIP plugs but they're hard to find. IIRC, Apple used those for the joystick connectors on the first version of the apple ][.

      What's nearly unobtanium are IDC IC sockets. Easy to put together something like a RAM chip bus - if you can find the sockets.
    • Terry Blovas
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2013
        If you are talking about a DIP socket connector Digi-Key has them in various configurations. I have their catalog. It has 200 pages of connectors of all types. Their catalog is on-line now. You can go to www.digikey.com and check. The on-line catalog includes pictures. Hope this helps.

        Terry

        Has anyone got a source for the 24 pin socket connectors that Fred calls out on
        his web site? These are the
        "Socket connector 24 Pins 1 € 3.92 (32 pin sil)". I have tried using standard
        header connectors. However, these are too large to fit in most IC sockets. I
        have searched hi and low, but apparently I am not using the correct search
        terms. Any help would be appreciated. As a last resort, I will get out my trusty
        dremel and grind the pins to fit.

        Regards,
        Michael
      • Cory Klatt
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2013
          Based on my research, the SIL is pretty common in the UK.  I have found one possible option from DIGIKEY.  It is a 32POS SIL VERTICAL SKT ASSY.  You can check it out here: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/D01-9973242/952-1938-ND/3727905 or download the datasheet here: http://www.harwin.com/include/downloads/drawings/D01-997.PDF

          The UK source I'm looking at is:

          http://www.banzaimusic.com/SIL-32-pins.html

          The SIL can be cut to size.

          I hope that helps.