Re: Is the TI/99 audio output stereo?

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2013
      To do the "true" stereo the user had to use a monitor and not the RF modulator output!

      You would UNPLUG the audio output from computer going to the monitor, then you would PLUG the two stereo channels from the "Forti Card" into the stereo receiver.

      This made it so any mono sound from a non-Forti Card program would come out just the speakers and any complex sounds written for the Forti Card would come out their designated speaker according to which voice of the four it was and high it frequency was to effect human hearing.

      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eric-bray@...> wrote:

      > I think that it is just a cable that channels the mono sound into two speakers!
      >
      > The ONLY stereo audio that I ever saw for the TI-99/4 was actually a demo of the "Forte Card" and that was because that card had four audio outputs the could be paired down to two (2) separate audio channels, thus making a stereo output of the sound!
      >
      > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur F. Tyde III" <aftyde@> wrote:
      > >
      > > OK - I know... 99.465% chance is is not... but I ran across this cable
      > > on eBay...
      > >
      > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pin-Composite-video-Audio-Cord-TEXAS-INSTRUMENTS-TI-99-4A-138inches-long-/160975702362
      > >
      > > Which seems like a better idea than butchering my RF modulators.
      > > (though, contemplating the VDI upgrade though unsure if 80 col works or
      > > is supported) Noticed it seems to have L and R outputs.
      > >
      > > Cheers, Arthur...

    • kevan064
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2013
        One of the RCA outputs is for the VIDEO, the other is for the MONO audio.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2013
          For those of you that have never seen or read about the "Forti Music Card":

          The TI-99/4A with the "Forti Card" is either a Quadraphonic device or if the output is wired for Stereo mixing [Voices 0 & 2 = 1st Channel <> Voices 1 & 3 = 2nd Channel] as shown in the schematics HERE.

          The users manual states this FACT in its second paragraph.

          The one demo of it we had at the PATIUG, blew everybody away that Saturday morning at LaSalle University during the monthly meeting of the PACS (Philadelphia Area Computer Society)!

          --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "kevan064" <kevan064@...> wrote:

          > One of the RCA outputs is for the VIDEO, the other is for the MONO audio.
          >
          > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eric-bray@> wrote:
          > voice of the four it was and high it frequency was to effect human hearing.

        • Gregg Eshelman
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2013
            I'd love to see a demo of a Forti on YouTube to see and hear it in action.
          • Dano
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2013
              Eric,

              First and foremost, thanks for the info on the Forti card.  I can remember when it was announced long long ago and was super excited to get one but never could find a vendor who actually had them.  I gave up trying and chalked it up to another rumor that was to never be.

              Anyhow,  I'd love to check out the schematic of the Forti card but your "schematics HERE" link isn't actually a link.  Was that a cut & paste of info or did you actually have a valid link to the schematics?  If the later, could you re-post for us?

              Thanks in advance!

              -Dano

              "Long Live the TI-99/4A!"

              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2013