Re: [TI-99/4A] Re: CorComp 9900 disk controller card for p-box

  • swim4home
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 30, 2013
      If anyone is looking for original CorComp, version 2, WDC 1773 chips, I have enough new chips here to keep the community trucking along well into the 21st century. I have to check but I think I paid like $8 each.

      On 04/30/13, Cory Klatt<cory.klatt@...> wrote:

      No worries and I appreciate your post. There's a lot of great info there. I was thinking about following up on your source for the WDC 1773. They are really hard to find and I was debating snagging a few and making an open design DS/DD floppy controller since they seem to be so high in demand for those of us that love our original hardware. They tend to sell for 130+ on ebay when they show up, which is pretty seldom in my experience.

      I'm not nearly skilled enough to create a controller using an FPGA, but I do know I could create a knock-off of the Corcomp if I could get my hands on the controller.

      Am I crazy here? There's a lot of great hardware, but I haven't seen a simple DS/DD controller.

      Any interest or alternate ideas?

      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "tcblovas" <tcblovas@...> wrote:

      > OOOppps! I guess I should have read the later post first so just forget mine.
      >
      > Terry
      >
      > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Cory Klatt" <cory.klatt@> wrote:
      > >
      > > That was it! The 9901 was bad. I replaced it with the 9901 from my Corcomp RS232 and we're now back in business!
      > >
      > > Thanks for everyone's suggestions and, Jeff, thanks for the winning tip!
      > >
      > > ck
      > >
      > > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Jeff White <ti994a@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Cory and Barry,
      > > >
      > > > The 9901 is more likely to fail than the 12L6 PAL's. It is SAFER to swap out a questionable 9901 to a working card than vice versa. If you have a working Corcomp RS232, you can pull the 9901 from the failed CC floppy controller and try it in the CC RS232. This is not a complete test as it can indicate that the 9901 is bad, but it will not say it is totally okay.
      > > >
      > > > The 99/4A motherboard has a 9901. If almost anything has failed on its 9901, it will probably be noticed. So it is possible to test a questionable 9901 in a working 99/4A by swapping the good 9901 for the questionable. Interrupts, keyboard, joystick, and cassette all depend on the 9901 in the 99/4A.
      > > >
      > > > Jeff White

      <*> Your email settings:
      Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
      (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
      ti99-4a-digest@yahoogroups.com
      ti99-4a-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Gary Collins
      Message 41 of 41 , May 10 8:27 PM
        Cory,
        I have a 9901 if you need it. I also if you refresh my memory have the transistors you need for the power supply. At least the substitutes I was suggesting.

        Gary