Re: [TI-99/4A] Array question

  • Phil King
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
      Hello Jeff

      i have been up to my nose today cramming python into my brain but i could not get your response to the while loop out of my head. I think i have what you mean please dont check me on syntax i may be confusing 2 different basics together so please look at the program flow instead. There has be quite a few different programming languages between unstructured environments like microjunk studio and such including borland pascal and delfi

      100 call clear                             rem clear memory and screen
      200 x=0                                    rem set x subscript to 0
      300  open #1:"myfile",output      rem open file
      400 x=x+1                          rem add 1 to subscript
      500 if eof(1) then goto 800        rem check for end of file
      600    input #1,x:a$(x)               rem if not end of file get data
      700 goto 200                            rem loop back up to get next record or end
      800 close #1                             rem if end of file close file

      was this something like you were thinking using other constructs for the while loop
      with a few minor syntax changes it would work in gwbasic quick basic 4, 4.5 and 7 dont know what happened to six (microsoft for ya) and a few other basics like trs80 1 3 4 basic (trs80 mod 2 and 12 were xenix machines

      just thought i would ramble if i upset someone about my comments about microsoft I am sorry (i really dont like them though i have made a living off of there products for years ) may be that is why ..

      Phil

      rambling on

      good night to all

      Philip King
      4681 Carr Rd
      Hillsboro Ohio 45121
      9374421909
      prk62@...

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013

          I would add a counter for X like
          450 IF X=whatever THEN 800

          Rich

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013
            Isn't that what he's using EOF(1) for?

            Sent from Huawei Mobile

            richgilbertson@... wrote:

            >I would add a counter for X like
            >450 IF X=whatever THEN 800
            >

            >Rich

          • richxb
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013
              No he has a OUTPUT and the only way it will EOF(1) is when he runs out of Disk space.

              Rich

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013
                LOL ok he has a OUTPUT file open but is using INPUT while not opening a file on INPUT.
                So major issues with this program.
                95 DIM X$(howmany)
                300 OPEN #1:"myfile",INPUT
                700 GOTO 400

                Rich

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013
                  Jeff

                  I had to renumber them by hand i wrote it in a word editor and i forgot to change that one sorry

                  Phil

                  Philip King
                  4681 Carr Rd
                  Hillsboro Ohio 45121
                  9374421909
                  prk62@...

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013
                    hay all

                    as i said was not for sure about all the syntax but the logic was pretty much there i left out the dim statement for just the fact i thought it would be assumed to i wrote that in a text editor so i had to number and renumber by hand it was late i was tired i for got about line 700 yes it should go to 400 instead of 200 and if i got the wrong type of file is because i was reading fast and mistook what i was reading i am a bit dyslexic sometimes that happens in real life and well i pull what is left of my hair out over the syntax errors and minor logic errors due to the face i put something down thinking of something else but in the day i was a pretty good basic programmer in business programming .. i wrote a tax system that had over 5000 lines of code over 300 sub programs and so many variables it was hard to keep count. I was once part of a BBS club back in the early 80's called compunet i ran its BBS for years then a friend took it over when i got married i wrote programs that could be use as doors in pascal for that .. so please cut me a little slack trying to demonstrate something in basic while trying to learn python that is a mix of basic c and pascal is not that easy for me LOLOL

                    i hope i just got my point across some said that while does not exist in ti basic but jeff said it could be done with other constructs he said i was correct so ....

                    Phil

                    Philip King
                    4681 Carr Rd
                    Hillsboro Ohio 45121