Re: [TI-99/4A] Array question

  • Chris and Veronica Schneider
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
      Lee's did not show up in my email for some reason.

      Thank you both Lee and Charles!

      Chris

      From: Charles Richmond <old_computers@...>
      Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 22:10:50 -0500
      To: <ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Array question

      Lee had also posted the same answer... perhaps before I did.

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
          Yes I did.  I got a file error on that suggestion.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
            Strange.  Looking at the LINPUT example in the TI Extended BASIC manual, not clear why it did not work.  Here is the link to the example.

            Jeff White

            From: Jeff White <ti994a@...>
            Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:45:22 -0400
            To: "ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com" <ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com>

          • lee_stewart@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
              Jeff's suggestion should work.  The statement would be (for a file opened as #1):

              IF EOF(1) THEN GOTO ...

              Post the failed code and we can get a better handle on it.

              ...lee

            • lee_stewart@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                Oops! I guess that should be

                IF EOF(1) THEN <line number>

                ...lee

                --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, lee@... wrote:

                > Jeff's suggestion should work. The statement would be (for a file
                > opened as #1):
                > IF EOF(1) THEN GOTO ...
                > Post the failed code and we can get a better handle on it.
                > ...lee
                > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Chris and Veronica Schneider wrote:
                > >
                > > Yes I did. I got a file error on that suggestion.
                > >

                > > Chris
                > > From: Jeff White ti994a@
                > > Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:45:22 -0400
                > > To: "ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com" ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com
                > > Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Array question
                > >

                > > Did you try what I suggested in message 81548?

                > > I used an IF-THEN on EOF within a FOR-NEXT loop. WHILE can be
                > accomplished
                > > with other constructs.
                > >
                > > Jeff White
                > >
                > > On 22 Apr 2013, at 19:07, Chris and Veronica Schneider
                > > c.v.schneider@ wrote:
                > >

                > > > Lee's did not show up in my email for some reason.
                > > >
                > > > Thank you both Lee and Charles!
                > > >

                > > > Chris

              • Phil King
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                  Hello Jeff

                  i have been up to my nose today cramming python into my brain but i could not get your response to the while loop out of my head. I think i have what you mean please dont check me on syntax i may be confusing 2 different basics together so please look at the program flow instead. There has be quite a few different programming languages between unstructured environments like microjunk studio and such including borland pascal and delfi

                  100 call clear                             rem clear memory and screen
                  200 x=0                                    rem set x subscript to 0
                  300  open #1:"myfile",output      rem open file
                  400 x=x+1                          rem add 1 to subscript
                  500 if eof(1) then goto 800        rem check for end of file
                  600    input #1,x:a$(x)               rem if not end of file get data
                  700 goto 200                            rem loop back up to get next record or end
                  800 close #1                             rem if end of file close file

                  was this something like you were thinking using other constructs for the while loop
                  with a few minor syntax changes it would work in gwbasic quick basic 4, 4.5 and 7 dont know what happened to six (microsoft for ya) and a few other basics like trs80 1 3 4 basic (trs80 mod 2 and 12 were xenix machines

                  just thought i would ramble if i upset someone about my comments about microsoft I am sorry (i really dont like them though i have made a living off of there products for years ) may be that is why ..

                  Phil

                  rambling on

                  good night to all

                  Philip King
                  4681 Carr Rd
                  Hillsboro Ohio 45121
                  9374421909
                  prk62@...

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013

                      I would add a counter for X like
                      450 IF X=whatever THEN 800

                      Rich

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013
                        Isn't that what he's using EOF(1) for?

                        Sent from Huawei Mobile

                        richgilbertson@... wrote:

                        >I would add a counter for X like
                        >450 IF X=whatever THEN 800
                        >

                        >Rich

                      • richxb
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013
                          No he has a OUTPUT and the only way it will EOF(1) is when he runs out of Disk space.

                          Rich

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013
                            LOL ok he has a OUTPUT file open but is using INPUT while not opening a file on INPUT.
                            So major issues with this program.
                            95 DIM X$(howmany)
                            300 OPEN #1:"myfile",INPUT
                            700 GOTO 400

                            Rich

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013
                              Jeff

                              I had to renumber them by hand i wrote it in a word editor and i forgot to change that one sorry

                              Phil

                              Philip King
                              4681 Carr Rd
                              Hillsboro Ohio 45121
                              9374421909
                              prk62@...

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 23, 2013
                                hay all

                                as i said was not for sure about all the syntax but the logic was pretty much there i left out the dim statement for just the fact i thought it would be assumed to i wrote that in a text editor so i had to number and renumber by hand it was late i was tired i for got about line 700 yes it should go to 400 instead of 200 and if i got the wrong type of file is because i was reading fast and mistook what i was reading i am a bit dyslexic sometimes that happens in real life and well i pull what is left of my hair out over the syntax errors and minor logic errors due to the face i put something down thinking of something else but in the day i was a pretty good basic programmer in business programming .. i wrote a tax system that had over 5000 lines of code over 300 sub programs and so many variables it was hard to keep count. I was once part of a BBS club back in the early 80's called compunet i ran its BBS for years then a friend took it over when i got married i wrote programs that could be use as doors in pascal for that .. so please cut me a little slack trying to demonstrate something in basic while trying to learn python that is a mix of basic c and pascal is not that easy for me LOLOL

                                i hope i just got my point across some said that while does not exist in ti basic but jeff said it could be done with other constructs he said i was correct so ....

                                Phil

                                Philip King
                                4681 Carr Rd
                                Hillsboro Ohio 45121