Re: [TI-99/4A] Array question

  • Jeff White
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 21 6:46 AM
      I suppose I would try the following untested code:

      100 DIM LG$(25)
      110 OPEN #1:"DSK1.MYFILE",INPUT
      120 REM
      130 FOR X=1 TO 25
      140 IF EOF(1) THEN 170
      150 LINPUT #1:LG$(X)
      160 NEXT X
      170 CLOSE #1

      Probably something with EOF that I forgot, like it not working with variable files or some such nonsense.  Or maybe lines 140 and 150 need swapped.

      Jeff White

      100 DIM LG$(25)

      On 20 Apr 2013, at 23:38, lee@... wrote:

      Unless you're not telling the whole story, that cannot be the problem.  Your DIM statement reserves 25 slots in the string array LG$ and you say you're reading only 3!  The problem appears to me to be that you need a 4th record (line) at the beginning of the file, which contains the number of records that follow.  That is the record out of which line 120 is trying to extract a number but finding something non-numeric instead.  From your description, your file should look something like this:

      3
      This is the first line.
      This is the second line.
      And, this is the third and last line.

      ...lee

      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "c.v.schneider@..." wrote:

      > I think i know what i did. I think the array is not big enough.
      >
      > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "c.v.schneider@" c.v.schneider@ wrote:
      > >
      > > It is a Display variable 80 file, with 3 lines of text, each line has 40 characters.
      > >

      > > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richmond wrote:

      > > > What does your input file look like???
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > > +----------------------------------------+
      > > > |.....Charles and Francis Richmond.......|
      > > > |........................................|
      > > > |..plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com...|
      > > > +----------------------------------------+

    • Charles Richmond
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 21 5:16 PM
        And the first line contains only the number "3"??? So that you can
        read in the line count in BASIC line number 120...

        On Apr 20, 2013, at 10:07 PM, c.v.schneider@... wrote:

        > It is a Display variable 80 file, with 3 lines of text, each line
        > has 40 characters.
        >

        > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richmond
        > <old_computers@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> On Apr 20, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Chris and Veronica Schneider wrote:
        >>
        >>> I'm trying to place a small text file into an array, but I get
        >>> "Input Error in 120".
        >>>
        >>> 100 DIM LG$(25)
        >>> 110 OPEN #1:"DSK1.MYFILE",INPUT
        >>> 120 INPUT #1:LN
        >>> 130 FOR X=1 TO LN
        >>> 140 LINPUT #1:LG$(X)
        >>> 150 NEXT X

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 21 7:16 PM
          Charles,

          Thanks, you hit the nail on the head.  I forgot to put the 3 on the first line.  It's been a long time since I read a text file into an array.

          Thanks for the help..

          Chris

          From: Charles Richmond <old_computers@...>
          Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:16:11 -0500
          To: <ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Array question

          And the first line contains only the number "3"??? So that you can
          read in the line count in BASIC line number 120...

          On Apr 20, 2013, at 10:07 PM, c.v.schneider@... wrote:

          > It is a Display variable 80 file, with 3 lines of text, each line
          > has 40 characters.
          >

          > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richmond
          > <old_computers@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> On Apr 20, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Chris and Veronica Schneider wrote:
          >>
          >>> I'm trying to place a small text file into an array, but I get
          >>> "Input Error in 120".
          >>>
          >>> 100 DIM LG$(25)
          >>> 110 OPEN #1:"DSK1.MYFILE",INPUT
          >>> 120 INPUT #1:LN
          >>> 130 FOR X=1 TO LN
          >>> 140 LINPUT #1:LG$(X)
          >>> 150 NEXT X

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 21 8:10 PM
            Lee had also posted the same answer... perhaps before I did.

            On Apr 21, 2013, at 9:16 PM, Chris and Veronica Schneider wrote:

            > Charles,
            >
            > Thanks, you hit the nail on the head. I forgot to put the 3 on the
            > first line. It's been a long time since I read a text file into an
            > array.
            >
            > Thanks for the help..
            >

            > Chris
            >
            > From: Charles Richmond <old_computers@...>
            > Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:16:11 -0500
            > To: <ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Array question
            >
            > And the first line contains only the number "3"??? So that you can
            > read in the line count in BASIC line number 120...
            >
            > On Apr 20, 2013, at 10:07 PM, c.v.schneider@... wrote:
            >
            > > It is a Display variable 80 file, with 3 lines of text, each line
            > > has 40 characters.
            > >

            > > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richmond
            > > <old_computers@...> wrote:

            > >> What does your input file look like???

            |.....Charles and Francis Richmond.......|
            |........................................|
            |..plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com...|
          • Phil King
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 21 9:47 PM
              Hey all

              I am not to much into ti exbasic yet but i have programmed in a lot of other basics ... If you are reading a text file i would use a while loop and set it not equal to eof .. when eof occurs the while loop exits i dont know the exact syntax but something like this
              x=0
              while not eof(1)
              x=x+1
                      if x> 25 then exit the loop
              if not eof then
              input 1,lc(x)
                     else
               exit the loop

               as i said i dont know the syntax but that is the logic i personally would use... if it is not complete i would work until that loop works.
              for next loops only work if you know exactly how many records you are going to read

              Phil

              Philip King
              4681 Carr Rd
              Hillsboro Ohio 45121
              9374421909
              prk62@...

              Unless you're not telling the whole story, that cannot be the problem.  Your DIM statement reserves 25 slots in the string array LG$ and you say you're reading only 3!  The problem appears to me to be that you need a 4th record (line) at the beginning of the file, which contains the number of records that follow.  That is the record out of which line 120 is trying to extract a number but finding something non-numeric instead.  From your description, your file should look something like this:

              3
              This is the first line.
              This is the second line.
              And, this is the third and last line.

              ...lee

              --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "c.v.schneider@..." wrote:

              > I think i know what i did. I think the array is not big enough.
              >
              > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "c.v.schneider@" c.v.schneider@ wrote:
              > >
              > > It is a Display variable 80 file, with 3 lines of text, each line has 40 characters.
              > >

              > > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richmond wrote:

              > > > What does your input file look like???
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > +----------------------------------------+
              > > > |.....Charles and Francis Richmond.......|
              > > > |........................................|
              > > > |..plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com...|
              > > > +----------------------------------------+

            • Phil King
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 21 9:58 PM
                me again

                just wanted to say if my logic is off i have little experience with the ti.. waiting until i get all my parts in to rebuild the console I also may be ordering a ide kit but that is when money permits. At the moment i am experimenting with my raspberry pi with different ops systems. so i know which one to use when i load mess mame and the emulationstation to turn it into a gaming console. not to mention the lessons on http://programarcadegames.com that teaches python which is the supported programming language  for the r-pi

                Phil

                Philip King
                4681 Carr Rd
                Hillsboro Ohio 45121
                9374421909
                prk62@...

              • lee_stewart@verizon.net
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 22 5:17 AM
                  It'd be nice if there were such a statement, but there is no WHILE in TI Basic or Extended Basic.

                  ...lee

                  --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Phil King <prk62@...> wrote:

                  > Hey all
                  >

                  > I am not to much into ti exbasic yet but i have programmed in a lot of other basics ... If you are reading a text file i would use a while loop and set it not equal to eof .. when eof occurs the while loop exits i dont know the exact syntax but something like this
                  > x=0
                  > while not eof(1)
                  > x=x+1
                  >         if x> 25 then exit the loop
                  > if not eof then
                  > input 1,lc(x)
                  >        else
                  >  exit the loop
                  >
                  >  as i said i dont know the syntax but that is the logic i personally would use... if it is not complete i would work until that loop works.
                  > for next loops only work if you know exactly how many records you are going to read
                  >
                  > Phil
                  >
                  > Philip King
                  > 4681 Carr Rd
                  > Hillsboro Ohio 45121
                  > 9374421909
                  > prk62@...
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Phil King
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 22 11:29 AM
                    thanks lee

                    as i said have not got into my ti just yet so i did not know.    so one would have to either know the exact size of the file or array or the len(of arrar) or something like/ I wrote a general ledger program that took care of more than just the ledger part in qb4 using betrieve database manager so i do have some experience in microsoft basic stuff.. .. but you are correct there are time when a while statement would be very very handy

                    thanks for the info

                    PHil

                    Philip King
                    4681 Carr Rd
                    Hillsboro Ohio 45121
                    9374421909
                    prk62@...

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 22 4:07 PM
                      Lee's did not show up in my email for some reason.

                      Thank you both Lee and Charles!

                      Chris

                      From: Charles Richmond <old_computers@...>
                      Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 22:10:50 -0500
                      To: <ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 22 5:55 PM
                          Yes I did.  I got a file error on that suggestion.

                          Chris

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 22 6:17 PM
                            Strange.  Looking at the LINPUT example in the TI Extended BASIC manual, not clear why it did not work.  Here is the link to the example.

                            Jeff White

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 22 6:24 PM
                              Jeff's suggestion should work.  The statement would be (for a file opened as #1):

                              IF EOF(1) THEN GOTO ...

                              Post the failed code and we can get a better handle on it.

                              ...lee

                            • lee_stewart@verizon.net
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 22 6:29 PM
                                Oops! I guess that should be

                                IF EOF(1) THEN <line number>

                                ...lee

                                --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, lee@... wrote:

                                > Jeff's suggestion should work. The statement would be (for a file
                                > opened as #1):
                                > IF EOF(1) THEN GOTO ...
                                > Post the failed code and we can get a better handle on it.
                                > ...lee
                                > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Chris and Veronica Schneider wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Yes I did. I got a file error on that suggestion.
                                > >

                                > > Chris
                                > > From: Jeff White ti994a@
                                > > Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:45:22 -0400
                                > > To: "ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com" ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com
                                > > Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Array question
                                > >

                                > > Did you try what I suggested in message 81548?

                                > > I used an IF-THEN on EOF within a FOR-NEXT loop. WHILE can be
                                > accomplished
                                > > with other constructs.
                                > >
                                > > Jeff White
                                > >
                                > > On 22 Apr 2013, at 19:07, Chris and Veronica Schneider
                                > > c.v.schneider@ wrote:
                                > >

                                > > > Lee's did not show up in my email for some reason.
                                > > >
                                > > > Thank you both Lee and Charles!
                                > > >

                                > > > Chris

                              • Phil King
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 22 8:43 PM
                                  Hello Jeff

                                  i have been up to my nose today cramming python into my brain but i could not get your response to the while loop out of my head. I think i have what you mean please dont check me on syntax i may be confusing 2 different basics together so please look at the program flow instead. There has be quite a few different programming languages between unstructured environments like microjunk studio and such including borland pascal and delfi

                                  100 call clear                             rem clear memory and screen
                                  200 x=0                                    rem set x subscript to 0
                                  300  open #1:"myfile",output      rem open file
                                  400 x=x+1                          rem add 1 to subscript
                                  500 if eof(1) then goto 800        rem check for end of file
                                  600    input #1,x:a$(x)               rem if not end of file get data
                                  700 goto 200                            rem loop back up to get next record or end
                                  800 close #1                             rem if end of file close file

                                  was this something like you were thinking using other constructs for the while loop
                                  with a few minor syntax changes it would work in gwbasic quick basic 4, 4.5 and 7 dont know what happened to six (microsoft for ya) and a few other basics like trs80 1 3 4 basic (trs80 mod 2 and 12 were xenix machines

                                  just thought i would ramble if i upset someone about my comments about microsoft I am sorry (i really dont like them though i have made a living off of there products for years ) may be that is why ..

                                  Phil

                                  rambling on

                                  good night to all

                                  Philip King
                                  4681 Carr Rd
                                  Hillsboro Ohio 45121
                                  9374421909
                                  prk62@...

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 23 5:20 AM

                                      I would add a counter for X like
                                      450 IF X=whatever THEN 800

                                      Rich

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 23 6:36 AM
                                        Isn't that what he's using EOF(1) for?

                                        Sent from Huawei Mobile

                                        richgilbertson@... wrote:

                                        >I would add a counter for X like
                                        >450 IF X=whatever THEN 800
                                        >

                                        >Rich

                                      • richxb
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 23 7:08 AM
                                          No he has a OUTPUT and the only way it will EOF(1) is when he runs out of Disk space.

                                          Rich

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 23 7:14 AM
                                            LOL ok he has a OUTPUT file open but is using INPUT while not opening a file on INPUT.
                                            So major issues with this program.
                                            95 DIM X$(howmany)
                                            300 OPEN #1:"myfile",INPUT
                                            700 GOTO 400

                                            Rich

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 23 10:21 AM
                                              Jeff

                                              I had to renumber them by hand i wrote it in a word editor and i forgot to change that one sorry

                                              Phil

                                              Philip King
                                              4681 Carr Rd
                                              Hillsboro Ohio 45121
                                              9374421909
                                              prk62@...

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 23 10:37 AM
                                                hay all

                                                as i said was not for sure about all the syntax but the logic was pretty much there i left out the dim statement for just the fact i thought it would be assumed to i wrote that in a text editor so i had to number and renumber by hand it was late i was tired i for got about line 700 yes it should go to 400 instead of 200 and if i got the wrong type of file is because i was reading fast and mistook what i was reading i am a bit dyslexic sometimes that happens in real life and well i pull what is left of my hair out over the syntax errors and minor logic errors due to the face i put something down thinking of something else but in the day i was a pretty good basic programmer in business programming .. i wrote a tax system that had over 5000 lines of code over 300 sub programs and so many variables it was hard to keep count. I was once part of a BBS club back in the early 80's called compunet i ran its BBS for years then a friend took it over when i got married i wrote programs that could be use as doors in pascal for that .. so please cut me a little slack trying to demonstrate something in basic while trying to learn python that is a mix of basic c and pascal is not that easy for me LOLOL

                                                i hope i just got my point across some said that while does not exist in ti basic but jeff said it could be done with other constructs he said i was correct so ....

                                                Phil

                                                Philip King
                                                4681 Carr Rd
                                                Hillsboro Ohio 45121