RE: [TI-99/4A] Re: Why the high-bid auctions for TI-99 cassette tapes on ebay?

  • Ksarul
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5, 2013
      Actually, the only tapes I won were the 5 Intellistar cassettes and
      Typwriter. The two auctions together didn't even break $30. I bought them
      because I didn't possess original copies of those programs. I also won a
      partial set of ForMorAll schematics of the TI. They are useful in that they
      show exactly which wires need to be moved around to turn a 110V PEB to a
      220V one. . .this being the earlier push-switch type, as the rocker switch
      ones can be switched by rearranging the fuse socket.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 5, 2013
        Remember there was a similar problem that was had with the "Dow-4 Gazelle"; it would load the entire program into the machine if it was loaded from cassette, but in its original version it couldn't be loaded into the machine if the disk controller was in the P.E.B.

        I think that was because the disk controller user about 2K of memory for its I/O buffer that the program used for data storage.

        The user had to modify the program by editing a few lines of code to reduce the size of the dimension definitions to allow the program to be loaded from a disk if the user saved it out to a disk after being loaded in by cassette.

        --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Beery" <bmiller@...> wrote:

        > Maybe I should sell my 1984 Pacman game I developed under Extended Basic that loaded from cassette. So far, it was never released. It must be worth a fortune !!!! <grin>
        >
        > I forgot how large (K) the program was. I know I had a problem saving it to a diskette as if disk drive controller was connected, I had memory errors as there wasn't enough memory left to load from casette. I think I had a standalone 32K card and casette and it was a year or two later before I was able to expand to a standalone disk drive.
        >
        > Beery
        >

        > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "hscottm" <hsm@> wrote:
        > >
        > > All - I am admittedly new to the TI-99 vintage computing game, but have been trying to assemble a system for the past month and have been watching ebay. I have also received help from several list members.
        > >
        > > Suddenly this weekend about 5 different lots of old TI-99 cassette collections (homemade not commercial) sold for like $150 each on ebay.
        > >
        > > What am I missing? Why is there such huge value in these collections? Were there small regionally produced games that you can only find this way?
        > >
        > > thanks for the information.
        > >
        > > -scott

      • kevan064
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 5, 2013
          Oh wow, the Dow-4 Gazelle I remember that program! I bought it and enjoyed playing it. I wish I still had it, it would great to 're-live' some of those old crashes!

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 5, 2013
            There is an assembly language version of the "Dow-4 Gazelle" with the name:

            BHXP1 Experimental Aircraft

            that can be found on the TI-99/4A Game Shelf  web site under the assembly language programs.

            You can download it and relive the instrument flying program!

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 5, 2013
              Thanks, I found it! I'll not be able to use it any time soon... I'm still new to these emulators and it appears to be in .arc format and on Win99a. I'm not sure how to unarc it yet. I'll put it on my TODO list.

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5, 2013
                You are mistaken, that program is in TIFILES format which means when it is downloaded it can be transferred directly to an actual TI-99/4A and then run with no fanfare.

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2013
                  Dang, it would not run on my emulator, Oh well, I have so many iron in the fire it'll have to wait a couple of days. :(

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 6, 2013
                    To run it on your emulator/simulator just convert it to V9T9 format from TIFILES format with TIDir. (If you are using Win994a make sure the suffix is .TIDisk, if you are using Classic99 make sure the suffix is .dsk)

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 6, 2013
                      Here is something I wrote on the TI99ers On-Line Users Group Forum a while back:

                      November 19, 2006, 07:45:51 pm »

                      "I finally found my DOW-4 Flyer instruction manual after about 24 years!

                      It was in the bottom drawer in my older son's old dresser; I had forgotten I had given him the TI99/4A with the cassette tape recorder when I purchased my Myarc Geneve 9640.

                      There are TWO versions of the program. One version that runs from TI Basic on the TI99/4A with only the cassette tape as the peripheral for the machine and another version that runs from TI Basic on the TI99/4A with the disk drive as the peripheral for the machine.

                      If you are using Win994a and want to load and run the cassette version, you must turn OFF the disk drive as the peripheral for the machine.

                      If you are using Win994a and want to load and run the disk version, you must type:

                      CALL FILES(1)
                      NEW
                      Load the program with OLD DSK1.DOW4-DISK
                      RUN

                      DOW4 will run 30% slower from disk.

                      I have tested both versions on Win994a and seem to have them both working well so far.

                      Having spent some time as a military pilot, that was a lifetime ago, the training involved many hours of instrument flying in an actual aircraft wearing a "hood" that prevented one from seeing anything except the instrument panel that was inside the aircraft and in the `Link' trainer which as a mechanical flight simulator that never left the ground.

                      That training was so important to the military pilot training program that the pilot trainee could not repeat that training phase and was not allowed to go on with their training if they didn't pass that portion of the course.

                      Running the flight simulator program DOW 4 on the TI99/4A and its simulators/emulators such as Win994a, Classic 99, MESS, V9T9, and PC99 is very much like using the `Link" trainer that thousands of military pilots trained on over the years.

                      I am not sure if Classic 99, MESS, V9T9, and PC99 are able to run the cassette version of the program which the more efficient of the two versions of the program.

                      Is anyone out there able to shed some light on any of these programs's ability to run the cassette version of DOW 4 program?

                      Running the flight simulator program 4A Flyer on the actual TI99/4A years ago was limited by the program's lack of creativity due to it being limited to 8K of ROM and its very poor stick like graphics.

                      Because the program took many programming short cuts and did not follow the graphic protocols that were never fully published by Texas Instruments at the time, I know it does not run correctly on Win994a. I don't know what the case is for Classic 99, MESS, V9T9, and PC99.

                      Is anyone out there able to shed some light on any of these programs' ability to run the 4A Flyer program?

                      SPAD XIII is more of a marriage of 4A Flyer with stick graphics and DOW-4 with a more rudimentary instrument panel. Due to the limits of the TI99/4A's memory that is about the best users are ever going to get in flight simulator programs for the TI99/4A and its simulators/emulators."