Re: [TI-99/4A] OLD TI-99/4A Disk Drive Project For External Drives

  • Gregg Eshelman
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2013
      --- On Sun, 3/31/13, kevan064 <kevan064@...> wrote:

      > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com,
      > Jeff White <ti994a@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > "Rip-off Shack?" Seems a bit harsh to me.
      >
      > Yeah, well I used to work for them as a Computer Marketing
      > Manager back in 'the old days', when Tandy had it's own
      > computer division.  I used to do the cycle counts,
      > ordering, etc. as well as sales.  I was privy to the
      > internals, which included the profit margins. So in my
      > humble OPINION....

      > I actually went in for the first time in over 10 years a few
      > months back and was NOT impressed.  It appears the
      > facade professionalism is gone, the dress is casual and they
      > seem to really *PUSH* cellphones.

      Last summer I went in to pick up a small protoboard and matching box. The protoboard product line hasn't changed in 25~30 years but at some point some bean counter must have decided the boxes cost too much and substituted ones from a different supplier.

      What's the problem? None of the new line of boxes have mounting points that match up with any of the protoboards! Screw holes all in the wrong places and nothing fits into any of the slots for vertical mounting.

      That a Grade A, Class One FAIL. I let the company know about it...

      Why didn't they make sure the new supplier could provide boxes to fit their old protoboard line, or alter the boards' dimensions to fit the new boxes? Would've been a perfect opportunity to discontinue boards made for component packages last seen in the 1960's and add ones for surface mount components.

      "You've got questions. We've got blank stares."
    • jesse_slicer
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2013
        I did my time at The Shack (a.k.a. Radio Shaft or Radio Shark) from '92-'94 plus a couple months of working Corporate. The used-car salesman high-pressure sales almost turned me off from electronics altogether. Note the "almost".

        I recall seeing profit margins on all the items and the computers generally went at a loss and the big ticket items such as TVs and stereo systems were small. The components were a gold mine though. And I think that was a big point of CEO before Len Roberts. He kept those due to their great profit.

        --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "kevan064" <kevan064@...> wrote:

        > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Jeff White <ti994a@> wrote:
        > >
        > > "Rip-off Shack?" Seems a bit harsh to me.
        >
        > Yeah, well I used to work for them as a Computer Marketing Manager back in 'the old days', when Tandy had it's own computer division. I used to do the cycle counts, ordering, etc. as well as sales. I was privy to the internals, which included the profit margins. So in my humble OPINION....
        >
        > > Of course, I am a man of certain age that recalls Radio Shack as the > option for electronics supplies. I have not stopped by for years.
        > >
        > > Jeff White
        >
        > I actually went in for the first time in over 10 years a few months back and was NOT impressed. It appears the facade professionalism is gone, the dress is casual and they seem to really *PUSH* cellphones.
        >
        > I understand why they do not carry as many parts anymore though, there just is no discrete circuitry anymore. People just cannot fix stuff that small... and it's cheaper to replace than fix.
        >
        > What is sad (at least to me) is that most kids no longer get the joy of learning how things work. I remember building my first P-Box kits and shortwave radio, it was pure a joy.
        >
        > - Kevan

      • kevan064
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2013
          --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Gregg Eshelman <g_alan_e@...> wrote:

          > "You've got questions. We've got blank stares."

          YEP... THAT, pretty much sums it up and ties it off in a nice little bow! :) <ROTFLMAO>
        • kevan064
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2013
            --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "jesse_slicer" <jslicer@...> wrote:

            > I did my time at The Shack (a.k.a. Radio Shaft or Radio Shark) from >'92-'94 plus a couple months of working Corporate. The used-car >salesman high-pressure sales almost turned me off from electronics >altogether. Note the "almost".

            I did mine in 81-82 and was young and stupid enough to go back in 84-86. I remember the expected 20% gains over the previous year they were always harping on. I seem to recall back then "if it was not at least 40% profit, it was not in the store". Oh YEAH, the parts! Those babies has some good margins on them. When I first started out I remember my manager kidding me one time when I used a good chunk of our 'Open To Buy" to fill the parts wall in... before inventory!
          • Phil Van Nordstrand
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2013
              Hello group,
              I am in the Seabrook, TX area and looking for someone in this local area who might be able to identify, so I can sell what’s got any value, my father’s equipment (recently deceased at age 92).  I can identify a console, (2)  PEB’s (looks like two floppy drives in each), (2) monitors, and lots and lots of floppy disks!  There may be more in the attic or closet. I have a couple hand written notes found with lists, but not sure how old the lists are and don’t know what most of the stuff is. Not sure what works, what doesn’t.
              I have my own health issues so can’t really spend a lot of time researching from scratch, something I know very little about.  I know it has been a few years since he used any of it (mom was sick, then he had his own issues after she passed away). Dementia had set in and he never got around to labeling the things as we talked about him doing. Need to clean out the room all this is in to prepare the house for the market. Sure don’t want to just throw away.
              If this is not the appropriate place to post this, I’m sorry and just point me in the right direction.
              Thank you,
              Christine Smith

            • Jeff White
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2013
                Hello, Christine.

                Sorry to hear that Phil Van Nordstrand has died.  I only knew him through the list server.  Had not seen him on here for awhile.  Checking the archive, it was 2007 that he told us he was 86 in December 2006 -- his last message to us.

                There are a few people in the Houston area that view the lists, and I have bcc'd two related-groups just to reach a wider audience for you.  Beery Miller lived in that area in the last 10 years.

                Phil had a Geneve, which is a rare bird in the 99/4A community.  It was what he used most, but that was several years ago.

                Tom Wills, moderator of this group, will probably put him on the In Remembrance page at:

                Jeff White

[...]

              • Insane Multitasker
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1, 2013
                  Hi Christine,
                  Sorry to hear about your loss.  I recall repairing a number of computer cards for your father and a friend of his years ago, he was always enthusiastic about using the various systems.  I may still have the history of those cards and will look for it in the event it may help identify some equipment.

                  As Jeff posted, there are a few of us in the Houston area.  I'm about 2 hours north of you.  I don't know that I could make a trip , maybe a few others in the area will respond and something can be figured out to help you sort out the items.  If you have picture-taking ability, that may help too.

                  -tim

                  To: ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 1, 2013
                    I just checked out the link you posted. It's sad to see so many of the people I remember from articles and software posted there.

                    --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Jeff White <ti994a@...> wrote:
                    > In Remembrance page at:
                    >
                    > http://www.ti99ers.org/modules.php?name=Inspire
                    >
                    > Jeff White
                  • Phil Van Nordstrand
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 1, 2013
                      Thank you for your reply.  He was one month short of turning 92 when he passed away in November.  I see Geneve/9640 on one of his lists.  Just not sure how current these two lists are, I know he said he had two of something and one didn’t work, but it didn’t register at the time (that was a few years ago) so not sure if it was one of the PEB’s or what.  I have been contacted by a fellow who did some work on some of his equipment so he is going to look through his records to see what it was.  One of two contacts tonight is only a 1/2 hour away, another is about 2 hours away – but sounds like he may be closer to where I actually live.

                      I will be back down here in two weeks and will bring a camera to help decipher this stuff.

                      Sincerely,
                      Christine Smith

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 1, 2013
                          I hear Radio Shack is on it's way down. Saw their name on a most likely to close list a few weeks ago for what that's worth. They don't have many parts anymore they have lost their name. There is no radio shack.

                          Gary

                          > > "Rip-off Shack?" Seems a bit harsh to me.
                          >
                          > Yeah, well I used to work for them as a Computer Marketing
                          > Manager back in 'the old days', when Tandy had it's own
                          > computer division.  I used to do the cycle counts,
                          > ordering, etc. as well as sales.  I was privy to the
                          > internals, which included the profit margins. So in my
                          > humble OPINION....

                          > I actually went in for the first time in over 10 years a few
                          > months back and was NOT impressed.  It appears the
                          > facade professionalism is gone, the dress is casual and they
                          > seem to really *PUSH* cellphones.

                          Last summer I went in to pick up a small protoboard and matching box. The protoboard product line hasn't changed in 25~30 years but at some point some bean counter must have decided the boxes cost too much and substituted ones from a different supplier.

                          What's the problem? None of the new line of boxes have mounting points that match up with any of the protoboards! Screw holes all in the wrong places and nothing fits into any of the slots for vertical mounting.

                          That a Grade A, Class One FAIL. I let the company know about it...

                          Why didn't they make sure the new supplier could provide boxes to fit their old protoboard line, or alter the boards' dimensions to fit the new boxes? Would've been a perfect opportunity to discontinue boards made for component packages last seen in the 1960's and add ones for surface mount components.

                          "You've got questions. We've got blank stares."

                        • richxb
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 2, 2013

                            The Radio Shack next to my house is still there but I was told the corporation is in trouble.

                            Rich