Re: [TI-99/4A] OT: Smartphone. TI emulator

  • Richard Twyning
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 21, 2013
      Sorry but I think both NOKIA and Microsoft are flogging a dead horse!
      Android is very easy to use and you are more likely to find free apps that do exactly what you want which are paid apps on other platforms.
      Mark Wills has said before that he would like to write a TI emulator for Android.

      You would have been better advised having another Samsung and going for the S3.

      ;-)

      Gregory McGill <mcgill@...> wrote:
      Download dosbox turbo app (its a paid app, couple bucks) and turbo is important...theres a free one that's non turbo and it is slooooow..    then put v9t9 or pc99 in a folder and run it.. there ya go wish granted

      Greg

      On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Eric <eric-bray@...> wrote:

      My plain old cellphone that I bought in 2001-2002 that had limited internet access finally malfunctioned after about twelve years; it was a Samsung that served me well!

      My cell phone provider [Verizon] offered me a FREE new smartphone since I was such a "loyal" customer and even gave me a much less expensive calling plan that has more features than my old calling plan! Now I can have access to the internet on it through the many free Wi-Fi Hot Spots throughout  here in the city and on my home network.

      The 'FREE' smartphone they offered me was a Nokia Lumina 822 that came with the Windows Phone 8 OS. I researched the OS on the ZIFF DAVIS PCMag.com web site:

      and discovered that the OS may be even more accessible and easier to use than either Android, Apple iOS, and Blackberry BB OS.

      NOW!!!! After putting a few simple apps on the device:

      The top on my wish list of apps that I WANT is an app that could allow me to run a TI99/4A emulator/simulator on my smartphone. We will never get such an app for the Android, Apple iOs, or Blackberry BB OS devices; however maybe one the TI99/4A emulators/simulators written to run in Windows could be ported over to run in Windows Phone 8 OS. :-)

      Then I could play with my beloved TI99/4A all day everywhere I went!!!!

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 21, 2013
        You must REMEMBER the smartphone was "FREE"! {I had built up so much 'credit' by keeping my old Samsung cellphone running for 12 years and not trading up.}

        All I really need it for is to make telephone calls!!

        As long as it can do that then it is doing its job!!!

        NOW that I am retired, I have a new motto:

        "If it is 'FREE', then it is for me!" ;-)

        --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Richard Twyning <richardtwyning@...> wrote:

        > Sorry but I think both NOKIA and Microsoft are flogging a dead horse!
        > Android is very easy to use and you are more likely to find free apps that do exactly what you want which are paid apps on other platforms.
        > Mark Wills has said before that he would like to write a TI emulator for Android.
        >
        > You would have been better advised having another Samsung and going for the S3.
        >
        > ;-)
        >
        > Gregory McGill <mcgill@...> wrote:
        >
        > >Download dosbox turbo app (its a paid app, couple bucks) and turbo is
        > >important...theres a free one that's non turbo and it is slooooow..
        > >then
        > >put v9t9 or pc99 in a folder and run it.. there ya go wish granted
        > >
        > >Greg
        > >
        > >On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Eric
        > ><eric-bray@...>wrote:
        > >

        > >> My plain old cellphone that I bought in 2001-2002 that had limited
        > >> internet access finally malfunctioned after about twelve years; it
        > >was a
        > >> Samsung that served me well!
        > >>
        > >> My cell phone provider [Verizon] offered me a FREE new smartphone
        > >since I
        > >> was such a "loyal" customer and even gave me a much less expensive
        > >calling
        > >> plan that has more features than my old calling plan! Now I can have
        > >access
        > >> to the internet on it through the many free Wi-Fi Hot Spots
        > >throughout
        > >> here in the city and on my home network.
        > >>
        > >> The 'FREE' smartphone they offered me was a Nokia Lumina 822 that
        > >came
        > >> with the Windows Phone 8 OS. I researched the OS on the ZIFF DAVIS
        > >> PCMag.com web site:
        > >>
        > >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416521,00.asp
        > >>
        > >> and discovered that the OS may be even more accessible and easier to
        > >use
        > >> than either Android, Apple iOS, and Blackberry BB OS.
        > >>
        > >> NOW!!!! After putting a few simple apps on the device:
        > >>
        > >> The top on my wish list of apps that I WANT is an app that could
        > >allow me
        > >> to run a TI99/4A emulator/simulator on my smartphone. We will never
        > >get
        > >> such an app for the Android, Apple iOs, or Blackberry BB OS devices;
        > >> however maybe one the TI99/4A emulators/simulators written to run in
        > >> Windows could be ported over to run in Windows Phone 8 OS. :-)
        > >>
        > >> Then I could play with my beloved TI99/4A all day everywhere I
        > >went!!!!
        > >>

        > --

      • Eric
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 21, 2013
          My wife and both my sons have iPhones; my daughter-in-law has an Android Phone --> I had them try my OS and they all said that that my OS was the easiest to use. So the people at Microsoft might of found something by making Windows 8 & Windows Phone 8 OS very similar!

          Only time will tell!

        • Richard Twyning
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 21, 2013
            I pay £36 a month and I got my Samsung Galaxy Note free. I get 1.2 Gig free data a month, unlimited SMS and virtually unlimited calls.
            My wife is more or less the same and got the S3 free.

            <eric-bray@...>wrote:

[...]

            For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
            Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org/.
            Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/.
            Send abuse reports to abuse@...! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            ti99-4a-digest@yahoogroups.com
            ti99-4a-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • kevan064
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 21, 2013
              "If it is 'FREE', then it is for me!" ;-)

              I love it! Can I use it too?
            • Richard Twyning
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 21, 2013
                I used Windows Mobile for seven years, but Apple ruined the smartphone market by imposing capacitive screens on everyone and then Microsoft ruined it by dropping Windows Mobile and starting from scratch.
                While it was windows mobile there was a chance of porting a .net app to compact framework but now the Windows Phone SDK is totally different.

                Nokia will very soon be out of business once and for all. I used to swear by them and had most of their communicators, but they started to rush products out of the door before they were properly ready. Nokia invented the smartphone when it released the 9000 communicator.
                But would they have done that if Psion hadn't invented the PDA?!?

                Steve Jobs never invented anything. He was very good at "borrowing" technology and patenting it for himself!

                :-(

[...]

              • richxb
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 21, 2013

                  Actually Woz was the inventor not Steve.
                  But Steve did buy the NeXT and kind of design it by request of what he wanted.
                  The NeXT did smoke a IBM that took up most of the room compared to the 1 foot cube NeXT.
                  Also no one missed Gates but Steve will be missed.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 21, 2013
                    So why are Samsung and Sprint about to make a big push for their own Tizen phone OS?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 21, 2013
                      I pay an additional $10.00 per month for my wife's account as a friend & family. I already had a "Skype" account so for $30.00 per year I could make telephone calls throughout the USA & Canada for that flat fee as well as Skype calls to contacts all over the world. [I have a Australian veteran friend that 'my' unit use to fly 'his' unit around on combat assaults with whom I communicate with about every couple of months] With the 'Skype' app and either my home's wireless network or any FREE 'Wi-Fi' hot spots {that are available all over Philadelphia}, I can now avoid any long distance fees for telephone calls made when using my smartphone. A pretty nice feature!

                    • kevan064
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 21, 2013
                        I'm looking into this service. $19.00 per month for UNLIMITED text, talk & data is appealing. Has anyone on here done business with this company?

                        http://republicwireless.com/ <----------------

                        --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eric-bray@...> wrote:

                        > I pay an additional $10.00 per month for my wife's account as a friend & family. I already had a "Skype" account so for $30.00 per year I could make telephone calls throughout the USA & Canada for that flat fee as well as Skype calls to contacts all over the world....
                      • Steven
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 22, 2013
                          I also have a Windows Phone and it is a Samsung ATIV S. Just got them for my wife and myself, they were free with contract and we love them. To each their own as far as phone OS's go. I don't even fault people for still getting Blackberries. The apps are slowly reaching all phone marketplaces and will eventually not be a factor.

                          A more open app environment is nice but it also opens up a huge hole for malware and virus's which so far are mostly an Android problem. Apple and MS curate their marketplaces and are subsequently less likely to experience the problems on the level of Android.

                          The cost for mobile data plans in Europe also isn't really comparable to the cost in North America. It's way different or at least can be. It's just the way it is.

                          --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Richard Twyning <richardtwyning@...> wrote:

                          > I pay £36 a month and I got my Samsung Galaxy Note free. I get 1.2 Gig free data a month, unlimited SMS and virtually unlimited calls.
                          > My wife is more or less the same and got the S3 free.
                        • Dont
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 22, 2013
                            I must be the last person in North America to not own a cell phone of any kind, but with Skype, a laptop, and an iPad, I don't need a phone, and I don't get any spam calls. --Hal

                            --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Steven" <snumedahl@...> wrote:

                            > I also have a Windows Phone and it is a Samsung ATIV S. Just got them for my wife and myself, they were free with contract and we love them. To each their own as far as phone OS's go. I don't even fault people for still getting Blackberries. The apps are slowly reaching all phone marketplaces and will eventually not be a factor.
                            >
                            > A more open app environment is nice but it also opens up a huge hole for malware and virus's which so far are mostly an Android problem. Apple and MS curate their marketplaces and are subsequently less likely to experience the problems on the level of Android.
                            >
                            > The cost for mobile data plans in Europe also isn't really comparable to the cost in North America. It's way different or at least can be. It's just the way it is.
                            >
                            > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Richard Twyning <richardtwyning@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I pay £36 a month and I got my Samsung Galaxy Note free. I get 1.2 Gig free data a month, unlimited SMS and virtually unlimited calls.
                            > > My wife is more or less the same and got the S3 free.

                          • Ksarul
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 22, 2013
                              You're not the last one in North America without a cell phone, Hal--I don't
                              have one either, and don't intend to get one unless the job forces one on me
                              for some reason (not likely). ;)

                              Jim

                              I must be the last person in North America to not own a cell phone of any
                              kind, but with Skype, a laptop, and an iPad, I don't need a phone, and I
                              don't get any spam calls. --Hal

                              --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Steven" <snumedahl@...> wrote:

                              > I also have a Windows Phone and it is a Samsung ATIV S. Just got them for
                              my wife and myself, they were free with contract and we love them. To each
                              their own as far as phone OS's go. I don't even fault people for still
                              getting Blackberries. The apps are slowly reaching all phone marketplaces
                              and will eventually not be a factor.

                              > A more open app environment is nice but it also opens up a huge hole for
                              malware and virus's which so far are mostly an Android problem. Apple and MS
                              curate their marketplaces and are subsequently less likely to experience the
                              problems on the level of Android.

                              > The cost for mobile data plans in Europe also isn't really comparable to
                              the cost in North America. It's way different or at least can be. It's just
                              the way it is.

                              > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Richard Twyning <richardtwyning@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I pay £36 a month and I got my Samsung Galaxy Note free. I get 1.2 Gig
                              free data a month, unlimited SMS and virtually unlimited calls.
                              > > My wife is more or less the same and got the S3 free.

                              ------------------------------------

                              For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
                              Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org/.
                              Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/.
                              Send abuse reports to abuse@...! Groups Links
                            • Jeff White
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 23, 2013
                                Sunday, April 13, 2003, is when I got my first cell phone -- a Samsung ACH-310, like Eric's.  It was for work, when we opened our Houston location and I moved there for 4 months to help.  It is a great phone.  I had chosen Verizon in 1999, when the company was founded, but refused to that day in 2003 to partake.

                                I still view cell phones as an unnecessary evil for the common man.

                                In 2007, I got a Samsung ACH-i760, a Window Mobile 6.0/6.1 phone with chiclet slide keyboard.  This was more an efficiency upgrade, since text and email with T9 was slow, but maybe more concise and thoughtful.

                                The company has gone through the Windows and Blackberry phases, and now is at the iPhone phase.  I am still a holdout.

                                But I do have a work-provided iPad II with Facetime, Skype, and (Eric should love this.) magicJack Talk Free.

                                With all this connectivity, why do I feel so disconnected?

                                I imagine the real future will be Celsius 1414.

                                Jeff White

                                On 22 Mar 2013, at 17:35, "Ksarul" <vze23g4a@...> wrote:

                                You're not the last one in North America without a cell phone, Hal--I don't
                                have one either, and don't intend to get one unless the job forces one on me
                                for some reason (not likely). ;)

                                Jim

                                <snip>._,___
                              • Peter Killick
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 23, 2013
                                  Jeff White wrote:

                                  I still view cell phones as an unnecessary evil for the common man.

                                  Depends where you live. In South Africa and many other parts of Africa, where the infrastructure for Alexander Graham Bell's invention did not reach the vast rural areas, it has transformed life for huge numbers of people.

                                  (For the sake of peace, I'll pretend I don't know about the US Congress' decision that AGB didn't invent the telephone. Next they'll be claiming Edison invented the light bulb :))
                                • Eric
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 23, 2013
                                    Yes, for those countries that do not have the land line infrastructure then the cell phone technology really made 'universal' connectivity through voice communication an easy upgrade for their populations.

                                    However, I have further researched the writing of apps for all the cell phone OS and discovered that all of the corporations except Google are very restrictive one what apps they will allow to be "sold" for their OS.

                                    So, I don't think we will ever see a app that lets one run a TI99/4A emulator/simulator on a Windows Phone OS. OH, WELL!!!!!!!

                                    Just like we will never see a magicJack app that runs on a Windows Phone OS, since Microsoft now owns "Skype" and there is a 'FREE' app to allow users that have a $30.00 per year land line access account to make long distance calls throughout the USA & Canada via Wi-Fi on the cell phone!

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 24, 2013
                                      I agree with Jeff. I think cell phones are great in an emergency, or out on the veldt where there is no other way to communicate, but here in the States, especially in an urban environment, that are at best a mixed blessing, and at worse, a curse. Every day someone is killedor badly injured when some idiot talks on their cell phone, or worse, texts, while driving. I see people making turns at speed, with one hand on the wheel, one on the phone. And that is under good conditions: yesterday I saw a man driving an SUV, on the phone, and writing something on a pad.
                                      Then there is another concern: the constant damage to the body and the mind. We are raising a generation of kids who are constantly bent over to look at their phones instead of where they are going. Some people are addicted to social media, and spend every waking moment trying to keep up with every bit of trivial crap their "friends" post. My son John is up at 6 a.m. every day, sitting on the toilet with that damn iPhone is his hand. I find it disgusting. It also means that his girlfriend can interrupt his life every time she has nothing better to do than verbally fart. He cannot turn off his phone, and it is impossible for him to ignore it when it buzzes.
                                      OK, that's my rant for today, and I, at least, feel better. --Hal

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 24, 2013
                                        Samsung also make phones with Windows Phone OS but they'll have to go a long way to beat Android. At home I swear by Ubuntu, and they're launching a phone version but again, I'll take a lot of convincing that it'll offer anything better than Android.