Re: [TI-99/4A] modern laptop for doing ti stuff (serial port/parallel port)

  • Klaus L
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4, 2013
      My new laptop will be a Dell Latitude E6230, featuring an Express Card Interface and a Port Replicator with real Serial/Parallel Ports [452-10775]. So I have all the options: USB Serial Adapters, Express Card Adapters and the Port Replicator.

      Besides this it is only 3.05lbs / 1.383kg and an Intel i7/16GB/256SSD nevertheless.

      Many thanks for your support... Klaus

      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Klaus L" <ticlub_austria@...> wrote:

      > Actually I want to accomplish communication between PC99 Emulator and a real TI-99 via serial port. Yes I want to use RSECTOR/WSECTOR programs (PC99 Utils) to create diskimages of my real Disks.
      >
      > I actually got serial communication working in the PC99 Emulator inside DOSBox with some USB2Serial Adapter.
      >
      > I don't remember the results trying to do serial communication with PC99 running not in DOSBox but in "real" Windows XP with the same USB2Serial Adapter.
      >
      > I was not successful with doing serial communication in the V9T9 Emulator on real WinXP or DOSBox.
      >
      > I was never successful with Fred Kaal HDX Software, but I had the wrong cable for that.
      >
      > I never tried testing serial communication from MESS with real TI99.
      >
      > Since there is no real Serial Port on my current netbook, I can't use real DOS for tests. But from what I read, a Express Card Adapter for Serial Ports should give you a real Serial Port, even in DOS.
      >
      > Klaus
      >
      > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Jeff White <ti994a@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Klaus,
      > >
      > > Just to clarify, you want to be able to use PC99 with a USB-to-serial cable to the TI RS232 port. This would allow you to do serial transfers with the Read Sector and Write Sector routines.
      > >
      > > DOSBox may work. It is mentioned on the PC99 common questions page at http://www.cadd99.com On the DOSBox website http://www.dosbox.com you will find the recommendation to use USB-to-serial adapters with the Prolific chipset.
      > >
      > > From what I have read of this thread, no one has run PC99 under DOSBox using the emulated TI RS232 through a PC USB port to a real TI RS232 or modem.
      > >
      > > Did I miss something?
      > >
      > > Jeff White
      > >

      > > On 27 Feb 2013, at 09:25, "Klaus L" <ticlub_austria@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > But such an Usb RS232 port would not work in a real DOS environment, am I right?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for the tipp with the HP Notebook. There is a 2nd one from HP that features a serial port as well [HP EliteBook 8570p], sadly both are a little too big (15,6") for my taste of "mobility".
      > > >
      > > > i will probably go for one with Express Card Slot just to be on the safe side.
      > > >
      > > > Klaus

    • Dano
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2013
        No worries, I happen to have mine on my desktop at all times.  For some reason I can never remember the model number either.  Yet, it seems so simple.

        -Dano

        "Long Live the TI-99/4A!"

        On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Kchula-Rrit <kchularrit@...> wrote:

        Thanks for clarifying it. Mine is in a box somewhere and I put the
        number in from (old) memory.

        K-R.