Re: Did I break it?

  • chris20636
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
      I received the new VDP chips in the mail. I give a thumbs up to the supplier that Ksarul recommended. Unfortunately, changing the VDP chip didn't make the problem go away. So I guess it's down to trying to do some real troubleshooting. Any suggestions? Can it be done without expensive specialized equipment?

      Chris
    • Jacques Groslouis
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
        Chris,

        The late John Guion wrote a console repair manual. I have never used it
        because it is much too technical for my abilities but it might contain
        useful information for your needs. It is on the wht site under
        /9640news/CAT08/CONSREP.ARK

        Regards,

        Jacques

        Nominate someone to your TI99HOF
        Check out www.ti99hof.org

        >I received the new VDP chips in the mail. I give a thumbs up to the
        >supplier that Ksarul recommended. Unfortunately, changing the VDP chip
        >didn't make the problem go away. So I guess it's down to trying to do some
        >real troubleshooting. Any suggestions? Can it be done without expensive
        >specialized equipment?
        >
        > Chris
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
        > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org/.
        > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/.
        > Send abuse reports to abuse@...! Groups Links

      • Eric
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
          Why not just check ALL of the thrift shops in your area? I recently saw a couple of TI99/4As for sale in one of the Goodwill Thrift Shops [I was looking for a Rhinestone bracelet to serve as my wife's cat's collar --> I didn't find one :-(, but I did find a rhinestone belt but it was too big] here in Philadelphia; didn't know if they functioned properly, however they were only asking $14.95 for each one of them. (General organizations like them do not sell defective items)

          You could buy one somewhere and if it is the V2.2 OS then all you have to do is change GROMS 0,1, & 2!

          --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "chris20636" <chrisas@...> wrote:

          > I received the new VDP chips in the mail. I give a thumbs up to the supplier that Ksarul recommended. Unfortunately, changing the VDP chip didn't make the problem go away. So I guess it's down to trying to do some real troubleshooting. Any suggestions? Can it be done without expensive specialized equipment?
          >
          > Chris

        • Chris Stevens

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
              Thanks for the reply.  I have a working console.  I'm using this second broken console as an excuse to tinker around with some hardware.

              Regards,
              Chris

              On 07/01/2010 08:26 PM, Eric wrote:

              Why not just check ALL of the thrift shops in your area? I recently saw a couple of TI99/4As for sale in one of the Goodwill Thrift Shops [I was looking for a Rhinestone bracelet to serve as my wife's cat's collar --> I didn't find one :-(, but I did find a rhinestone belt but it was too big] here in Philadelphia; didn't know if they functioned properly, however they were only asking $14.95 for each one of them. (General organizations like them do not sell defective items)

              You could buy one somewhere and if it is the V2.2 OS then all you have to do is change GROMS 0,1, & 2!

              --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "chris20636" <chrisas@...> wrote:

              > I received the new VDP chips in the mail. I give a thumbs up to the supplier that Ksarul recommended. Unfortunately, changing the VDP chip didn't make the problem go away. So I guess it's down to trying to do some real troubleshooting. Any suggestions? Can it be done without expensive specialized equipment?
              >
              > Chris

            • Jacques Groslouis
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
                Chris,

                The site contains both a filelist.txt and a sitelist.txt file. I searched
                one file for both 'Guion' and 'console' with no result. A search of the
                other file found 'Guion'. I keep both files in my Documents folder.