Re: [TI-99/4A] Re: MESS SVN History

  • fdos
    Message 1 of 100 , Jun 1, 2010
      Tyler,

      To the best of my knowledge the Geneve fully supports GK saved modules,
      including the modified versions provided on the UTIL and MILK disks, and
      in GPL mode JJ's BOOT MENU program can save itself to any two contiguous
      6K/8K areas of GRAM--so writable.

      I don't know if the GPL GRAM is write protected along with the RAM at
      >6000 ~ >6FFF and >7000 ~ 7FFF on the GPL menu screen or not. I just
      know that if I save BOOT MENU to GRAM1 & GRAM2 (TI BASIC area), I have
      the choice to save in GK format or as the last two GPL files, so any
      time I load GPL mode BOOT MENU will already be loaded and will be auto
      booted on GPL entry or exit from any programs loaded while in GPL mode.

      Bill S

      Tyler Van Tighem wrote:

      > On 05/31/2010 3:28 AM, Michael Zapf wrote:
      > > Hello Tyler,
      > >
      > >> I was browsing the MESS SVN History page and noticed your
      > >> changes (May 24 to the "ti99_4x.c") to the console GROMS allowing
      > >> the mirroring of the upper 2K. I hope you put an option in the DIP
      > >> switches to turn this effect on/off. As I have MESS setup with a
      > >> custom GROM of my own that uses the full 8K (hex edited).
      > >>
      > > this was not changed by me in that SVN commit, it has always been in
      > the code. I only committed to check that my write access is ok. :)
      > >

      > >> Also working on a custom one including the EA grom merged
      > >> into the three 2K areas. We just need some GRAM support in the
      > >> MESS_TI-99/4x driver to work with the various GPL assemblers.
      > >>
      > > My question as always: How does the real hardware look like? Do you
      > really have GRAMs in the console? (Wouldn't the GRAMs lose their
      > contents when turned off?) Or do you use a special extension like the HSGPL?
      > >
      > > I'm currently fixing the HSGPL emulation which was broken for a long
      > time. It seems to me that this extension would exactly deliver the
      > solution to your problem as it allows to use custom code flashed into
      > its memory.
      > >

      > >> Does anyone have any experience
      > >> in getting these to work with MESS_Geneve driver. I have my files
      > >> assembling properly, but they refuse to load/modify in the GRAM
      > 0-1-2 area.
      > >>
      > > I think I have not quite understood what you wanted to do - how do
      > you load them? I mean, the Geneve does not have any GROMs/GRAMs in it -
      > there is a built-in emulator which has normal RAM as a back-end, so you
      > can always provide modified contents if you wish.
      > >

      > No I don't have any GRAM device on my TI System. And for some reason
      > thought the Geneve had some sort of GRAM capability with its TI mode --
      > does anyone know if GRAM writes are supported?! An integrated E/A
      > module into GROM0 and Basic GROMS1/2 would be a nice aide to software
      > development.
      >
      > I'm currently interested in figuring out GPL code, and emulation seems
      > the best route for this. As GRAM devices are pretty rare to find for
      > the TI and command quite a price tag when they do show up.
      >
      > Tyler

    • fdos
      Message 100 of 100 , Sep 8 8:30 AM
        Yes, I know it's sometimes hard to get positive feed-back, but get ready
        to duck when the negative feed-back starts pouring in as one single flaw
        will be reported multiple times.

        Bill S