revived old system

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
      I recently fired up my old TI 99/4A system after cleaning it out of the closet it had been in. I have a nice system with 32k, disk drive, speech, etc. To my delight, all the cartridges and almost all of the disk programs are still working. However, there are two frustrating problems:

      The "1" key has a hard time working at all, and then it tends to bounce several times.

      The joystick port appear to not work at all. I have two sets of joysticks (er, wired remote controllers) and get no response from either. Yes, I am using the port on the left, not the tape drive port on the back although I've tried both just in case.

      Are these common and/or fixable problems? Is the best solution to buy a replacement console?

      - Brian
    • Ben Yates
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
        --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brian@...> wrote:

        > I recently fired up my old TI 99/4A system after cleaning it out of the closet it had been in. I have a nice system with 32k, disk drive, speech, etc. To my delight, all the cartridges and almost all of the disk programs are still working. However, there are two frustrating problems:
        >
        > The "1" key has a hard time working at all, and then it tends to bounce several times.
        >
        > The joystick port appear to not work at all. I have two sets of joysticks (er, wired remote controllers) and get no response from either. Yes, I am using the port on the left, not the tape drive port on the back although I've tried both just in case.
        >
        > Are these common and/or fixable problems? Is the best solution to buy a replacement console?

        Usually, such "not working and then bounce" problems on a keyboard will clear up with use. It is when they stop working at all you've got a problem. But keyboards can be bought on texintreasures.com.

        Your joysticks are probably shot, they do that after a while. You can either open them up and repaint the contacts with that conductive paint or buy a pair (again texintreasures should have them).
      • astharot
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
          Hello Brian.. for key the problem is that it dirty.. you must open the
          key, and clean the conductor mount in key. After must work ok.. for
          joystick problem... you use the original ti joystick or another? The
          original after more time seem work bad.. your test is use a joystick for
          msx,amiga,c64 and use an adptator cor they e ti console.. Good work.!!

          Brian ha scritto:
          > I recently fired up my old TI 99/4A system after cleaning it out of the closet it had been in. I have a nice system with 32k, disk drive, speech, etc. To my delight, all the cartridges and almost all of the disk programs are still working. However, there are two frustrating problems:
          >
          > The "1" key has a hard time working at all, and then it tends to bounce several times.
          >
          > The joystick port appear to not work at all. I have two sets of joysticks (er, wired remote controllers) and get no response from either. Yes, I am using the port on the left, not the tape drive port on the back although I've tried both just in case.
          >
          > Are these common and/or fixable problems? Is the best solution to buy a replacement console?
          >
          > - Brian
          >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
          > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org/.
          > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/.
          > Send abuse reports to abuse@...! Groups Links

          > Nessun virus nel messaggio in arrivo.
          > Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
          > Versione: 8.5.339 / Database dei virus: 270.12.53/2156 - Data di rilascio: 06/05/09 06:24:00

        • James M. Postle, Sr.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
            -Brain:

            Tex IN Treasure does have the gray replacement keybords.

            Postle

            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
              --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, astharot <astharot_66@...> wrote:

              > Hello Brian.. for key the problem is that it dirty.. you must open the
              > key, and clean the conductor mount in key. After must work ok..

              Some of the later keyboards have sealed keys - can't be opened...

              Usually these are the ones that stop working completely, however.
            • Gregg Eshelman
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
                --- On Sat, 6/6/09, Brian <brian@...> wrote:

                > The joystick port appear to not work at all.  I have
                > two sets of joysticks (er, wired remote controllers) and get
                > no response from either.  Yes, I am using the port on
                > the left, not the tape drive port on the back although I've
                > tried both just in case.
                >
                > Are these common and/or fixable problems? Is the best
                > solution to buy a replacement console?

                Tried it with the Alpha Lock key off? Having the Alpha Lock on interferes with the joysticks, until you get fed up with the "feature" and whip out a soldering iron to fix it.

                http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/console/alpha_lock.html

                There's more great hardware hacks and fixes on that site, including a schematic for a dual Atari joystick adapter that copies the diode circuit inside the TI controllers.

                There have been some people on the list with new old stock TI keyboards for sale.

                Another possibility is remove the keyboard so you can use canned air to blow all the dust out of the keyboard.

                Last resort, wash the keyboard. Fill a tub with water and slosh the keyboard (not the whole console!) around in the water. You can also run it through the dishwasher NO SOAP AND SKIP THE DRYING CYCLE. Use canned air to blow the water out as much as possible then put it in a sunny spot for a day.
              • Brian
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2009
                  Thanks for all the helpful replies. I didn't see any dust or other obstruction in the "1" key but will try cleaning it more thoroughly.

                  Regarding the joysticks, I suspect the port itself since neither set of my sets joysticks work at all, even the fire buttons (and regardless of alpha lock). Perhaps the port has become mechanically separated from the board. I'll check on that later.

                  - Brian
                • Ben Yates
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 8, 2009
                    --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brian@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for all the helpful replies. I didn't see any dust or other obstruction in the "1" key but will try cleaning it more thoroughly.
                    >
                    > Regarding the joysticks, I suspect the port itself since neither set of my sets joysticks work at all, even the fire buttons (and regardless of alpha lock). Perhaps the port has become mechanically separated from the board. I'll check on that later.

                    More likely two bad sets of joysticks. Best is to get an Atari adapter and use Atari-compatible sticks...