Re: [TI-99/4A] Test for speech module?

  • Steven Hirsch
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
      On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, tursi wrote:

      >>> If you have the TI Extended BASIC cartridge, or one of its many
      >>> incarnations, you can test speech by using the CALL SAY subprogram -- e.g.,
      >>> CALL SAY("HELLO").
      >> Nothing that's purely disk based? I have no cartridges at all other than
      >> Ed/Asm and Disk Manager :-(.
      >
      > All the games I mentioned were ripped to disk years ago.. you can probably
      > find disk versions of them.
      >
      > A quick search turns up a couple in this archive:
      > ftp://ftp.whtech.com/v9t9/21DisksFreeV9T9.zip
      >
      > in D-GAMS10 you'll find MASH, and in D-LASSO you'll find Lasso. I know
      > both these games talk. Even nicer is they are already in file format
      > (rather than a disk image), so you can XModem them directly over to your
      > TI from the PC.

      Currently it is easier for me to deal with disk images, since I can mount
      them directly from an SVD (Semi-Virtual Disk Drive). Terrific gadget and
      one of the vintage computer collector's best friends:

      www.thesvd.com

      Steve

      --
    • Steven Hirsch
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
        On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Eric Bray wrote:

        > Another source of EA5 versions of cartridges:
        >
        > ftp://ftp.whtech.com/v9t9/bromsel/

        Thanks for the suggestions! Much appreciated.

        --
      • Sullivan, Bill
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
          So Steve,

          Why don't you tell us more about this SVD you are using with your
          TI-99/4A? Where you got it? How much it cost? What its capacity is?
          Et cetera..

          Bill S

          Steven Hirsch wrote:

          > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, tursi wrote:
          >

          > Currently it is easier for me to deal with disk images, since I can mount
          > them directly from an SVD (Semi-Virtual Disk Drive). Terrific gadget and
          > one of the vintage computer collector's best friends:
          >
          > www.thesvd.com
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > --

        • Eric Bray
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
            I onced looked into purchasing a SVD, however its cost of $110.00 was
            a little high for me because one could purchase a complete used
            TI99/4A system for around that price if one really went value
            shopping.

            Once my research determined that there are excellent
            emulators/simulators like Classic99, M.E.S.S., and Win994a available
            for our computer there is no need for a SVD if our main computer was
            a PC. [my motto --> "If it's FREE then it's for me"]

            One can read all about it at:

            http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/index.php

            --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Sullivan, Bill" <sullivanbill@...>
            wrote:

            > So Steve,
            >
            > Why don't you tell us more about this SVD you are using with your
            > TI-99/4A? Where you got it? How much it cost? What its capacity
            is?
            > Et cetera..
            >
            > Bill S
            >
            > Steven Hirsch wrote:
            > >
            > > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, tursi wrote:
            > >

            > > Currently it is easier for me to deal with disk images, since I
            can mount
            > > them directly from an SVD (Semi-Virtual Disk Drive). Terrific
            gadget and
            > > one of the vintage computer collector's best friends:
            > >
            > > www.thesvd.com
            > >
            > > Steve
            > >
            > > --

          • Sullivan, Bill
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
              Ah! Not quite the device I hoped it would be, especially at the price
              you mentioned, considering a 512MB CF7A+ Sidecar with 32K & PIO is less
              than $70.00. Both devices utilize a PC for getting the disk image files
              on the media.

              Thanks.

              Bill S

              Eric Bray wrote:

              > I onced looked into purchasing a SVD, however its cost of $110.00 was
              > a little high for me because one could purchase a complete used
              > TI99/4A system for around that price if one really went value
              > shopping.
              >
              > Once my research determined that there are excellent
              > emulators/simulators like Classic99, M.E.S.S., and Win994a available
              > for our computer there is no need for a SVD if our main computer was
              > a PC. [my motto --> "If it's FREE then it's for me"]
              >
              > One can read all about it at:
              >
              > http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/index.php <http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/index.php>
              >
              > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "Sullivan, Bill" <sullivanbill@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > So Steve,
              > >
              > > Why don't you tell us more about this SVD you are using with your
              > > TI-99/4A? Where you got it? How much it cost? What its capacity
              > is?
              > > Et cetera..
              > >
              > > Bill S
              > >
              > > Steven Hirsch wrote:
              > > >
              > > > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, tursi wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Currently it is easier for me to deal with disk images, since I
              > can mount
              > > > them directly from an SVD (Semi-Virtual Disk Drive). Terrific
              > gadget and
              > > > one of the vintage computer collector's best friends:
              > > >
              > > > www.thesvd.com
              > > >
              > > > Steve
              > > >
              > > > --

            • Sullivan, Bill
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                Although, for some who would just use it as a means to transfer TI FILES
                to/form a PC maybe acceptable or more convenient and easier to
                understand and use?

                Bill S

                Sullivan, Bill wrote:

                > Ah! Not quite the device I hoped it would be, especially at the price
                > you mentioned, considering a 512MB CF7A+ Sidecar with 32K & PIO is less
                > than $70.00. Both devices utilize a PC for getting the disk image files
                > on the media.
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Bill S
                >
                > Eric Bray wrote:
                > >
                > > I onced looked into purchasing a SVD, however its cost of $110.00 was
                > > a little high for me because one could purchase a complete used
                > > TI99/4A system for around that price if one really went value
                > > shopping.
                > >
                > > Once my research determined that there are excellent
                > > emulators/simulators like Classic99, M.E.S.S., and Win994a available
                > > for our computer there is no need for a SVD if our main computer was
                > > a PC. [my motto --> "If it's FREE then it's for me"]
                > >
                > > One can read all about it at:
                > >
                > > http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/index.php
                > <http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/index.php>
                > <http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/index.php
                > <http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/index.php>>
                > >
                > > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>
                > <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > "Sullivan, Bill" <sullivanbill@...>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > So Steve,
                > > >
                > > > Why don't you tell us more about this SVD you are using with your
                > > > TI-99/4A? Where you got it? How much it cost? What its capacity
                > > is?
                > > > Et cetera..
                > > >
                > > > Bill S

                > > can mount
                > > gadget and

              • tursi
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                  > Currently it is easier for me to deal with disk images, since I can mount
                  > them directly from an SVD (Semi-Virtual Disk Drive). Terrific gadget and
                  > one of the vintage computer collector's best friends:

                  Then use TIDIR to copy them onto a disk image. Or use Google yourself.. it
                  took me about 5 minutes and one download to find those two. :)
                • Eric Bray
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                    I think it was really originally made for the Apple II Users and
                    happened to ported over other formats like the TI99/4A.

                    However the TI99/4A world has TIdir to convert from NATIVE TI99/4A
                    files <=> V9T9 files and we have the WHT Site and/or Planet99-Net
                    Site as Sources for a great many software files.

                    I haven't researched it at all, but I think we have resources
                    available to us that other "oldtime computer" don't have access to in
                    their user groups and by their software writers.

                    So it is kind of a moot point!

                    wrote:

                    > Although, for some who would just use it as a means to transfer TI
                    FILES
                    > to/form a PC maybe acceptable or more convenient and easier to
                    > understand and use?
                    >
                    > Bill S
                    >
                    > Sullivan, Bill wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Ah! Not quite the device I hoped it would be, especially at the
                    price
                    > > you mentioned, considering a 512MB CF7A+ Sidecar with 32K & PIO
                    is less
                    > > than $70.00. Both devices utilize a PC for getting the disk image
                    files
                    > > on the media.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks.
                    > >
                    > > Bill S
                    > >
                    > > Eric Bray wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I onced looked into purchasing a SVD, however its cost of
                    $110.00 was
                    > > > a little high for me because one could purchase a complete used
                    > > > TI99/4A system for around that price if one really went value
                    > > > shopping.
                    > > >
                    > > > Once my research determined that there are excellent
                    > > > emulators/simulators like Classic99, M.E.S.S., and Win994a
                    available
                    > > > for our computer there is no need for a SVD if our main
                    computer was
                    > > > a PC. [my motto --> "If it's FREE then it's for me"]
                    > > >
                    > > > One can read all about it at:
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/index.php
                    > > <http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/index.php>
                    > > <http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/index.php
                    > > <http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/index.php>>
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ti99-4a%
                    40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>,

                    > > > is?

                    > > > can mount
                    Terrific
                    > > > gadget and

                  • ti99_forever
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                      Bill,

                      I "reviewed" it a couple of years ago (right here), when the original developer gave me one to test it on the TI.

                      The original site is pretty much dead, not updated. However, someone in another group (can't remember off the top of my head) made a new run of them about 3 months back.

                      It has been brought up a couple of times more since then, and I've offered my opinion then. I will not repost it, in respect to our new member...

                      > Why don't you tell us more about this SVD you are using
                      > with your
                      > TI-99/4A? Where you got it? How much it cost? What its
                      > capacity is?
                      > Et cetera..
                      >
                      > Bill S
                      >
                      > Steven Hirsch wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, tursi wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Currently it is easier for me to deal with disk
                      > images, since I can mount
                      > > them directly from an SVD (Semi-Virtual Disk Drive).
                      > Terrific gadget and
                      > > one of the vintage computer collector's best
                      > friends:
                      > >
                      > > www.thesvd.com
                      > >
                      > > Steve
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > >

                      > ------------------------------------
                      >
                      > For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers
                      > everywhere!
                      > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at
                      > http://www.ti99hof.org/.
                      > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at
                      > http://www.ti99ers.org/.
                      > Send abuse reports to abuse@...! Groups Links

                    • Sullivan, Bill
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                        Thanks Ben,

                        I probably read it, and then forgot all about it as it wouldn't meet my
                        needs or expectations anyway.

                        Bill S

                        ti99_forever wrote:

                        > Bill,
                        >
                        > I "reviewed" it a couple of years ago (right here), when the original
                        > developer gave me one to test it on the TI.
                        >
                        > The original site is pretty much dead, not updated. However, someone
                        > in another group (can't remember off the top of my head) made a new
                        > run of them about 3 months back.
                        >
                        > It has been brought up a couple of times more since then, and I've
                        > offered my opinion then. I will not repost it, in respect to our new
                        > member...
                        >
                        > --- On Wed, 10/1/08, Sullivan, Bill <sullivanbill@...
                        > <mailto:sullivanbill%40sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
                        >
                        > > From: Sullivan, Bill <sullivanbill@...
                        > <mailto:sullivanbill%40sbcglobal.net>>
                        > > Subject: [TI-99/4A] SVD (Semi-Virtual Disk Drive)
                        > > To: ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 11:09 AM
                        > > So Steve,
                        > >
                        > > Why don't you tell us more about this SVD you are using
                        > > with your
                        > > TI-99/4A? Where you got it? How much it cost? What its
                        > > capacity is?
                        > > Et cetera..
                        > >
                        > > Bill S
                        > >
                        > > Steven Hirsch wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, tursi wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > Currently it is easier for me to deal with disk
                        > > images, since I can mount
                        > > > them directly from an SVD (Semi-Virtual Disk Drive).
                        > > Terrific gadget and
                        > > > one of the vintage computer collector's best
                        > > friends:
                        > > >
                        > > > www.thesvd.com
                        > > >
                        > > > Steve
                        > > >
                        > > > --
                        > > >

                        > > ------------------------------------
                        > >
                        > > For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers
                        > > everywhere!
                        > > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at
                        > > http://www.ti99hof.org/. <http://www.ti99hof.org/.>
                        > > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at
                        > > http://www.ti99ers.org/. <http://www.ti99ers.org/.>
                        > > Send abuse reports to abuse@...
                        > <mailto:abuse%40ti99ers.orgYahoo>! Groups Links

                      • Steven Hirsch
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                          On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, ti99_forever wrote:

                          > Bill,
                          >
                          > I "reviewed" it a couple of years ago (right here), when the original
                          > developer gave me one to test it on the TI.
                          >
                          > The original site is pretty much dead, not updated. However, someone in
                          > another group (can't remember off the top of my head) made a new run of
                          > them about 3 months back.

                          Yes, one of the people active in comp.sys.apple2 and with Heath/Zenith
                          machines did another run. I paid about $75.00 for the board and put it in
                          a box myself.

                          > It has been brought up a couple of times more since then, and I've
                          > offered my opinion then. I will not repost it, in respect to our new
                          > member...

                          If the only application I had for it was the TI-99, then it would not have
                          been a prudent purchase. However it supports the following older
                          machines, all of which I own:

                          Heath H8/H89
                          Radio-Shack TRS-80 I & III
                          Tandy CoCo
                          Apple 2
                          TI-99

                          and perhaps a couple more I've forgotten about. There are many PCs
                          nowadays with floppy controllers that do not reliably write single-density
                          diskettes, and NONE of them can write Apple 2 diskettes. So, it fills an
                          important niche in my classic computer collection.

                          Again, not for everyone, but I'm not parting with mine :-).

                          Steve