Re: [TI-99/4A] Horizon 3000 RAMdisk Question

  • Tursi
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
      One thing to remember when thinking about the length of the signal drive
      is that with the 4A console the original signal is only driven as far as
      the flex interface card. There's a buffer in there and there's another
      buffer at the other end of the cable where it plugs into the TI.

      Now whether you're seeing oddness from those two extra buffers might be
      worth a look - flex interface card going?

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
        Exactly. One reason I keep referring to it as "that" card. It works, but I
        don't have a whole lot of respect for it! ;)

        Wonder what a "modified" flex cable interface card is like in this
        situation...

        > From: Tursi <yahoogroup@...>
        > Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:14:26 -0400
        > To: <ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Horizon 3000 RAMdisk Question
        >
        > One thing to remember when thinking about the length of the signal drive
        > is that with the 4A console the original signal is only driven as far as
        > the flex interface card. There's a buffer in there and there's another
        > buffer at the other end of the cable where it plugs into the TI.
        >
        > Now whether you're seeing oddness from those two extra buffers might be
        > worth a look - flex interface card going?

      • mark wills
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
          Well, (theorising here) perhaps the buffers in the flex card are on their way out? It would be very difficult to measure the load on the data/address bus with the HRD and Geneve in the box, but one theory could be that the buffers in the flex card or the console end (they're acting as acting as line drivers afterall) are just not up to the job...

          I remember years ago my baby son (he's 15 now!) pulled the connector out of the side of the console. Blew the buffers in the console end of the cable. I replaced the buffers with HCT equivalents IIRC.

          Mark.

          Mark Wills, MSc MIAP
          http://www.markwills.co.uk

          Exactly. One reason I keep referring to it as "that" card. It works, but I
          don't have a whole lot of respect for it! ;)

          Wonder what a "modified" flex cable interface card is like in this
          situation...

          > From: Tursi <yahoogroup@harmless lion.com>
          > Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:14:26 -0400
          > To: <ti99-4a@yahoogroups .com>
          > Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Horizon 3000 RAMdisk Question
          >
          > One thing to remember when thinking about the length of the signal drive
          > is that with the 4A console the original signal is only driven as far as
          > the flex interface card. There's a buffer in there and there's another
          > buffer at the other end of the cable where it plugs into the TI.
          >
          > Now whether you're seeing oddness from those two extra buffers might be
          > worth a look - flex interface card going?

        • Robert Tilley
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
            It's an easy enough fix, just remember what density your floppy disks
            are when testing afterwards! lol

            --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Ben Yates <ti99_forever@...> wrote:

            > Exactly. One reason I keep referring to it as "that" card. It
            works, but I
            > don't have a whole lot of respect for it! ;)
            >
            > Wonder what a "modified" flex cable interface card is like in this
            > situation...
            >

            > > From: Tursi <yahoogroup@...>
            > > Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:14:26 -0400
            > > To: <ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com>
            > > Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Horizon 3000 RAMdisk Question
            > >
            > > One thing to remember when thinking about the length of the
            signal drive
            > > is that with the 4A console the original signal is only driven as
            far as
            > > the flex interface card. There's a buffer in there and there's
            another
            > > buffer at the other end of the cable where it plugs into the TI.
            > >
            > > Now whether you're seeing oddness from those two extra buffers
            might be
            > > worth a look - flex interface card going?

          • Marc Hull
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
              Ya know, if truth be told.....You guys may be on to something with this whole flex card issue. If timing somehow becomes a critical issue then the Geneve has a head and shoulders advantage over the TI ! Just considering the physical location of the TI, at least 6 feet from the PEB for a round trip accounts for more than a 12 ns delay just in the physics, not to mention the delay inherent in the logic transfers. If there is another issue that otherwise would be transparent then the sum of the minor issues could create an actual issue effecting operation.

              After thinking on my theory about the 3000b being designed for the Geneve only, one thought keeps coming to mind. Why would someone do that especially with all the pains taken to make the Geneve compatable. I retract my prior theory and subscribe to the current one about timing issues. Has anyone ever tried to overcome this issue by not only doing the flex card mod but also by shortening the cable ? Do we really need that much cable ?

              Obviously the Geneve doesn't..........

              I know that you Tim are good at what you do and very knowlegable about issues TI and Geneve. What say you about this ?

              Waiting.....

              Ben Yates <ti99_forever@...> wrote:
              Ok, here is a stupid question:
              Did you by chance try a different flex-cable interface card with your TI?

            • ti99_forever
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 2, 2008
                I _do_ know that adding an extension cable can cause issues. I once added one between a TI<->speech<->thermal printer<->extension cable<->PEB and started having a number of issues until I removed the cable.

                It worked ok with the thermal printer removed from the equation.

                Ben Yates <ti99_forever@ yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

                >> the test value,

                >> which would render a false negative.

                >> i'll report back a bit later on my findings... thank you for the suggestions!

                >> Tim

                >>> To: ti99-4a@yahoogroups .com

                >>> From: ti99_forever@ yahoo.com

                >>> Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:07:24 -0400

                >>> Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Horizon 3000 RAMdisk Question

                >>> What happens when you page it in and poke around the>4000 space?

                >>> Does it seem to work ok?

                >>> Have you considered writing a small program to move the ROS out to the card

                >>> like I suggested? That fixed mine once when it wasn't recognized.

                > It¹s a talkathon ­ but it¹s not just talk.

                > http://www.imtalkat hon.com/? source=EML_ WLH_Talkathon_ JustTalk

                > ------------ --------- --------- ------

                > For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!

              • Insane Multitasker
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 5, 2008
                  Hey folks, first of all thanks to those who have offered advice. As I noted before, this is the
                  first RAMDISK I've had on my workbench for repair purposes, even if I didn't plan for ir.

                  I've essentially convinced myself that the problem with my RAMdisk was in fact related
                  to bad sockets. Replacing the 8K RAM socket and the logic/buffer chip sockets eliminated the
                  errors during testing and has proved to stabilize the RAMDISK on both the TI and Geneve.

                  I cracked open a few of the logic chip sockets and looked at the contacts with a 10x loupe. I could
                  tell that some mild corrossion had indeed set in. Additionlly, the sockets used for the logic and
                  8K chip were of a poor quality. Most were single wipe and some had very little surface contact area.
                  Tension between the chip and the socket was minimal creating yet another point of failure.

                  Should anyone run into sporadic errors with their Horizon 3000 it would be prudent to carefully
                  examine the sockets and replace any that are suspect. The parts may not have been sub-standard
                  for the period but I would expect good double-wipe sockets or machine sockets would have held out
                  better. (I prefer double-wipe sockets over machine sockets - to each his/her own).

                  If I purchase some 128K or 512K chips to upgrade this unit, I'll most likely replace the 32 pin sockets
                  at the same time. The 4 pins not in use by the 28-pin 32K chips are questionable.

                  Marc Hull: I hope your RAMdisk situation is improving as well. Let us know what you found.

                  Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone... I'm going to go play with my Horizon RAMdisk ;)

                  Tim

                • Eric Bray
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 5, 2008
                    We learned that same lesson years ago in PATIUG, we bought some less
                    expensive sockets for a couple of projects, saving about 15%-20% on
                    the cost of the sockets. In the long run there were more trouble than
                    they were worth. Alan Silverstein, our hardware Guru, wound up
                    changing about 30% of those sockets.

                    From that point onwards, we always bought quality sockets and base
                    components for all of our future projects and of user produced
                    equipment failure rate dropped down to almost nothing.

                    Note: We also found "Radio Shack" was not always the BEST source for
                    quality components; many of the independent electronic shops sold
                    much higher quality parts for just a few pennies more per unit!

                    --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Insane Multitasker <insane_m@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hey folks, first of all thanks to those who have offered advice.
                    As I noted before, this is the
                    > first RAMDISK I've had on my workbench for repair purposes, even if
                    I didn't plan for ir.

                    > I've essentially convinced myself that the problem with my RAMdisk
                    was in fact related
                    > to bad sockets. Replacing the 8K RAM socket and the logic/buffer
                    chip sockets eliminated the
                    > errors during testing and has proved to stabilize the RAMDISK on
                    both the TI and Geneve.

                    > I cracked open a few of the logic chip sockets and looked at the
                    contacts with a 10x loupe. I could
                    > tell that some mild corrossion had indeed set in. Additionlly,
                    the sockets used for the logic and
                    > 8K chip were of a poor quality. Most were single wipe and some had
                    very little surface contact area.
                    > Tension between the chip and the socket was minimal creating yet
                    another point of failure.

                    > Should anyone run into sporadic errors with their Horizon 3000 it
                    would be prudent to carefully
                    > examine the sockets and replace any that are suspect. The parts
                    may not have been sub-standard
                    > for the period but I would expect good double-wipe sockets or
                    machine sockets would have held out
                    > better. (I prefer double-wipe sockets over machine sockets - to
                    each his/her own).

                    > If I purchase some 128K or 512K chips to upgrade this unit, I'll
                    most likely replace the 32 pin sockets
                    > at the same time. The 4 pins not in use by the 28-pin 32K chips
                    are questionable.

                    > Marc Hull: I hope your RAMdisk situation is improving as well.
                    Let us know what you found.

                    > Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone... I'm going to go play
                    with my Horizon RAMdisk ;)

                    > Tim

                    > Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live
                    Messenger.
                    > http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?
                    ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_video_072008

                  • Marc Hull
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 6, 2008
                      Hey Mr.T

                      Upon taking your advice and changing out the sockets on the logic, mapper and 62256 chips I am now Running 5x5 with no problems. So much for all the wild theories (myself included...)

                      I found the same issues you did particularly with the 14 pin sockets.

                      I guess you should always make sure there's gas in the tank before you tear down the engine. Well I guess I had better stretch that flex cable back out. Now where is my board stretcher? ;-p

                      Hannibal....

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 6, 2008
                        Awesome!

                        I've not heard of board stretchers but I do recall at least one person
                        who used his Geneve circuit board as a cheese grater... i would bet only
                        hard cheeses like parmesan gave the desired result.

                        > To: ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: marc.hull@...
                        > Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:32:56 -0700
                        > Subject: RE: [TI-99/4A] Horizon 3000 RAMdisk -solution-
                        >
                        > Hey Mr.T
                        >
                        > Upon taking your advice and changing out the sockets on the logic, mapper and 62256 chips I am now Running 5x5 with no problems. So much for all the wild theories (myself included...)
                        >
                        > I found the same issues you did particularly with the 14 pin sockets.
                        >
                        > I guess you should always make sure there's gas in the tank before you tear down the engine. Well I guess I had better stretch that flex cable back out. Now where is my board stretcher? ;-p
                        >
                        > Hannibal....
                        >
                        > Insane Multitasker wrote:
                        >
                        > Hey folks, first of all thanks to those who have offered advice. As I noted before, this is the
                        > first RAMDISK I've had on my workbench for repair purposes, even if I didn't plan for ir.
                        >
                        > I've essentially convinced myself that the problem with my RAMdisk was in fact related
                        > to bad sockets. Replacing the 8K RAM socket and the logic/buffer chip sockets eliminated the
                        > errors during testing and has proved to stabilize the RAMDISK on both the TI and Geneve.
                        >
                        > I cracked open a few of the logic chip sockets and looked at the contacts with a 10x loupe. I could
                        > tell that some mild corrossion had indeed set in. Additionlly, the sockets used for the logic and
                        > 8K chip were of a poor quality. Most were single wipe and some had very little surface contact area.
                        > Tension between the chip and the socket was minimal creating yet another point of failure.
                        >
                        > Should anyone run into sporadic errors with their Horizon 3000 it would be prudent to carefully
                        > examine the sockets and replace any that are suspect. The parts may not have been sub-standard
                        > for the period but I would expect good double-wipe sockets or machine sockets would have held out
                        > better. (I prefer double-wipe sockets over machine sockets - to each his/her own).
                        >
                        > If I purchase some 128K or 512K chips to upgrade this unit, I'll most likely replace the 32 pin sockets
                        > at the same time. The 4 pins not in use by the 28-pin 32K chips are questionable.
                        >
                        > Marc Hull: I hope your RAMdisk situation is improving as well. Let us know what you found.
                        >
                        > Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone... I'm going to go play with my Horizon RAMdisk ;)
                        >
                        > Tim

                        > Your email settings:
                        > Individual Email | Traditional
                        >
                        > To change settings online go to:
                        > (Yahoo! ID required)
                        >
                        > To change settings via email:
                        > mailto:ti99-4a-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        > mailto:ti99-4a-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Making the world a better place one message at a time.
                        http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=EML_WLH_Talkathon_BetterPlace
                      • Marc Hull
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 6, 2008
                          Board stretchers are what we use in the cabinet business to stretch boards that accidentally get cut to short. We keep them over by the left handed screwdrivers and cans of stripped paint. I don't know about a cheese grater but that rough back surface could easily be used as rough grit sandpaper. I wonder :-)