Re: MESS: Natural keyboard

  • kabldb
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      Thanks Michael. Great work !

      My MESS version is 0.111.

      /quote
      Unlike the "mapped" keyboard which mimics the TI keyboard layout,
      the "natural" keyboard maps the PC keys to the TI keycodes directly.
      That is, no more need to search the quotes etc.

      How has this feature been improved ? Quotes already works with
      Natural.

      /quote
      Programs which directly query CRU lines (like checking for FCTN key
      pressed) will not work in this mode.

      So console routines (querying CRU lines) like >000e Keyboard
      scanning, >0020 Keyboard scanning for Clear and >0900 Interrupt
      routine scanning for Quit should still work ?

      /quote
      FCTN-ESDX is mapped to the cursor keys; FCTN-2 to FCTN-0 is mapped to
      F2-F10. Currently, the Del key takes the place of F1; I'll have to
      see whether it's possible to also map F1.

      F8 and F9 was de- and increasing frameskip ?

      Would still like to see some keyboard shortcuts for especially
      Throttle/Unthrottle, Pause/Unpause, Save screenshot and even
      Emulated/Natural.

      /quote
      For the German people using MESS: See how MESS translates ä/ö/ü/ß
      automatically to ae/oe/ue/ss when typing.

      MESS already translates my æ/ø/å to ae/o/a though ae/oe/aa would be
      more correct.

      :-)

      Karsten
      http://sometimes.99er.net
      http://ti994asudoku.wordpress.com
    • Michael Zapf
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
        Hello Karsten,

        > /quote
        > Unlike the "mapped" keyboard which mimics the TI keyboard layout,
        > the "natural" keyboard maps the PC keys to the TI keycodes directly.
        > That is, no more need to search the quotes etc.
        >
        > How has this feature been improved ? Quotes already works with
        > Natural.

        no, what I meant is comparing that to the mapped mode. There you have
        the quotes on something like AltGr-P because on the TI keyboard, the
        quotes were FCTN-P.

        The improvement is that the natural mode can now be used better in
        general, so you won't have to use the mapped mode.

        > /quote
        > Programs which directly query CRU lines (like checking for FCTN key
        > pressed) will not work in this mode.
        >
        > So console routines (querying CRU lines) like >000e Keyboard
        > scanning, >0020 Keyboard scanning for Clear and >0900 Interrupt
        > routine scanning for Quit should still work ?

        It seems so. The problem is that we have to map single PC keys to TI
        keys, e.g. map F4 to FCTN+4. You don't have a separate FCTN key, so a
        program which tests bits on the CRU lines (e.g. just pressing FCTN
        alone, checking Alpha-Lock state) will not sense the key.

        QUIT is mapped to ESC, so when you push ESC, the console should sense
        a FCTN and = key press. As far as I understood - this time I did not
        fix it by myself.

        > /quote
        > FCTN-ESDX is mapped to the cursor keys; FCTN-2 to FCTN-0 is mapped to
        > F2-F10. Currently, the Del key takes the place of F1; I'll have to
        > see whether it's possible to also map F1.

        Update: This is currently not possible, so we have to decide which PC
        key takes which function. If the Del key shall be used for DELETE, the
        F1 cannot be mapped to that as well.

        > F8 and F9 was de- and increasing frameskip ?

        Only in "partial mode". I'm talking about the "full mode". You switch
        between both with ScrollLock.

        > Would still like to see some keyboard shortcuts for especially
        > Throttle/Unthrottle, Pause/Unpause, Save screenshot and even
        > Emulated/Natural.

        Pause = P in partial mode.

        > /quote
        > For the German people using MESS: See how MESS translates ä/ö/ü/ß
        > automatically to ae/oe/ue/ss when typing.
        >
        > MESS already translates my æ/ø/å to ae/o/a though ae/oe/aa would be
        > more correct.

        Seems as if this feature will be canceled again. We discussed that on
        the forum - there is no common transcription of Umlaut characters in
        the languages which use them. For example, it is wrong to replace "ä"
        with "ae" in Finnish, but it's also wrong to replace "ä" with "a" in
        German (and Finnish as well). The ö->oe mapping has already been
        removed, so I suggested to remove the complete Umlaut mapping instead
        of partially doing it - if it is not possible to query the locale
        setting. Anyway, it would be more helpful to have a "ä"->"{" ...
        mapping since the German TI Writer redefines the brackets and braces
        with Umlaut letters.

        Michael