Re: [TI-99/4A] My New Year's Resolutions (Hobby wise)

  • Keith Bergman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
      It's nowhere near the monumental list Bill has, but I'll venture to publicly state my goals for the year.

      I've got three games I want to have finished and released by the end of this year. I'll write each up here in a brief catalog-style blurb, so you can pretend you can't wait to order them from Tenex. ;)

      - Manifest Destiny is loosely based on Risk and Stratego, with a lot of differences and a touch of humor. You can play against one of four different computer players, and you can set different criteria for "winning" the game (i.e. annihilating the other guy's population, reaching a certain population threshold, taking over a certain amount of turf, etc). Throw in terraforming, map editing, and unpredictable thermonuclear devices, and things get really interesting.

      - Super Yot is kind of a quickie -- an update of the classic Yahtzee game, again with computer players, and this time set up in a game-show format (complete with wisecracking host). Options include saving unused rolls in a "turn bank" and stealing points from the other guy's score card.

      - Lastly, I've got a very nebulous (and for me, ambitious) idea for a sort of combination RPG/simulation called Robot Recon. You send four experimental robot drones into an unmapped and very vast space station to find out why everyone inside is dead. Unfortunately, as you're trying to find clues, the radiation levels are increasing, and parts of the station seem to be disappearing. You can't blast off from the front portal of the space station unless you get all four of your robots back... and the high rad-levels start doing strange things to their AI circuits as well.

      Coming soon to a 99/4A near you! I hope. :) I'm actually pretty dead-set on carving some TI time out of my schedule this year, so hopefully I can make some progress on these. If I get any of them to a presentable demo stage, I'll put pictures and code up to show off...

      Keith

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
        This is great Keith! I'm not much of a game player, but "Manifest
        Destiny" and "Robot Recon" sound very interesting to me. Looking
        forward to their release sometime this year or next year or....

        Bill

        Keith Bergman wrote:

> [...]
        > development as soon as I complete the TMS9928 project.
        > 3. I resolve to do my best to get back to the Enhanced TI BASIC
        > development as soon as I complete the TMS9928 project. (Time share with
        > Enhanced TI FORTH development.)
        > 4. I resolve to remind others here to help out if they can, as I still
        > need all the assistance previously requested.
        > 5. I resolve to do my best to get back to Forth+ V2.00 development as
        > soon as I complete TI FORTH & TI BASIC Enhancement developments. (This
        > may become a 2009 resolution.)
        >
        > Any others here willing to be so bold? It can help others to avoid
        > duplication of effort or to join in by offering assistance to a
        > development already in process or even merge duplicate developments.
        > Hopefully, we can build a comprehensive list of active projects for our
        > TI/Geneve computers and their emulators.

      • Andy Frueh
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
          Wow, I can't wait to order them from Tenex! :)Humor is generally a good thing in games - especially games with an otherwise "serious" bent (like world domination).

          Robot Recon sounds very vaguely similar to an electronic board game I have called Omega Virus. The plot is that a virus has overtaken an earth-orbiting station. 4 of the major world alliances have sent up rockets to investigate. The objective is to find and eliminate the virus before time runs out.

          You control an astronaut, moving from room to room (each alliance has its own "wing" of the station). Each wing has one teleport location where you can go to any of the other wings. Rooms are color-coded, and you have to find one each of various colored "code keys" in order to enter the corresponding room (the blue card lets you access blue rooms).

          You may find one of three "items" and you must have all three in order to find the virus.

          You may find a "probe" which basically gives you a second turn where you tell the probe to enter some other room, or you (or your probe) may be attacked, in which case you initiate one of three "shields" (high, medium, and low) and hope you match the target. If you get hit, you may have one of your 3 parts taken away, forcing you to find it again in another room, or you may be teleported.

          So in other words, you may find a colored code card, one of the three "parts" necessary to find the virus (parts being found in rooms of the same color - i.e. green rooms are wide open but probably don't contain much of anything, red rooms are likely to contain the red part, etc), your probe, be attacked (and if hit, lose a card, a part, get teleported to another room, or if your probe gets attacked it may be destroyed), or find nothing at all.

          As time runs out, the virus closes off certain wings - frustrating if you were heading in that direction, but also saving you time as you now know the virus wasn't hiding in any room in that wing.It's pretty formulaic and the room layout itself doesn't change - only the contents. But there are periodic announcements (the game talks) about how much time is left, and that tends to add some excitement.

          I dunno if one of those XB-type "interrupt-driven" clocks might be accurate enough to run something like this. Probably. Hmmm........

        • Keith Bergman
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
            Thanks Bill! I think I still owe you an email about a swap of some old TI stuff, too, from (cough, mumble) months ago. Maybe I should make a resolution about clearing up my Inbox too.... :/

            Keith Bergman wrote:

> [...]
            > development as soon as I complete the TMS9928 project.
            > 3. I resolve to do my best to get back to the Enhanced TI BASIC
            > development as soon as I complete the TMS9928 project. (Time share with
            > Enhanced TI FORTH development.)
            > 4. I resolve to remind others here to help out if they can, as I still
            > need all the assistance previously requested.
            > 5. I resolve to do my best to get back to Forth+ V2.00 development as
            > soon as I complete TI FORTH & TI BASIC Enhancement developments. (This
            > may become a 2009 resolution.)
            >
            > Any others here willing to be so bold? It can help others to avoid
            > duplication of effort or to join in by offering assistance to a
            > development already in process or even merge duplicate developments.
            > Hopefully, we can build a comprehensive list of active projects for our
            > TI/Geneve computers and their emulators.

          • Sullivan, Bill
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
              Hi Keith,

              Hmmm.... I don't seem to recall anything about a pending swap of old TI
              stuff. Please refresh my memory.

              Bill

              Keith Bergman wrote:

> [...]
              > > development as soon as I complete the TMS9928 project.
              > > 3. I resolve to do my best to get back to the Enhanced TI BASIC
              > > development as soon as I complete the TMS9928 project. (Time share with
              > > Enhanced TI FORTH development.)
              > > 4. I resolve to remind others here to help out if they can, as I still
              > > need all the assistance previously requested.
              > > 5. I resolve to do my best to get back to Forth+ V2.00 development as
              > > soon as I complete TI FORTH & TI BASIC Enhancement developments. (This
              > > may become a 2009 resolution.)
              > >
              > > Any others here willing to be so bold? It can help others to avoid
              > > duplication of effort or to join in by offering assistance to a
              > > development already in process or even merge duplicate developments.
              > > Hopefully, we can build a comprehensive list of active projects for our
              > > TI/Geneve computers and their emulators.

            • Keith Bergman
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
                Bill,

                I'm REALLY batting 1.000 today... had you mixed up with Bill Gaskill! Sorry about that!

                Keith Bergman wrote:

> [...]
                > > development as soon as I complete the TMS9928 project.
                > > 3. I resolve to do my best to get back to the Enhanced TI BASIC
                > > development as soon as I complete the TMS9928 project. (Time share with
                > > Enhanced TI FORTH development.)
                > > 4. I resolve to remind others here to help out if they can, as I still
                > > need all the assistance previously requested.
                > > 5. I resolve to do my best to get back to Forth+ V2.00 development as
                > > soon as I complete TI FORTH & TI BASIC Enhancement developments. (This
                > > may become a 2009 resolution.)
                > >
                > > Any others here willing to be so bold? It can help others to avoid
                > > duplication of effort or to join in by offering assistance to a
                > > development already in process or even merge duplicate developments.
                > > Hopefully, we can build a comprehensive list of active projects for our
                > > TI/Geneve computers and their emulators.

              • Sullivan, Bill
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Not a problem. I always suspect my gray matter first and foremost. ;-)

                  Bill

                  Keith Bergman wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > 3. I resolve to do my best to get back to the Enhanced TI BASIC
                  > > > development as soon as I complete the TMS9928 project. (Time share
                  > with
                  > > > Enhanced TI FORTH development.)
                  > > > 4. I resolve to remind others here to help out if they can, as I still
                  > > > need all the assistance previously requested.
                  > > > 5. I resolve to do my best to get back to Forth+ V2.00 development as
                  > > > soon as I complete TI FORTH & TI BASIC Enhancement developments. (This
                  > > > may become a 2009 resolution.)
                  > > >
                  > > > Any others here willing to be so bold? It can help others to avoid
                  > > > duplication of effort or to join in by offering assistance to a
                  > > > development already in process or even merge duplicate developments.
                  > > > Hopefully, we can build a comprehensive list of active projects
                  > for our
                  > > > TI/Geneve computers and their emulators.

                • Gregg Eshelman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
                    --- Keith Bergman <kbergman@...>
                    wrote:

                    > - Manifest Destiny is loosely based on Risk and
                    > Stratego, with a lot of differences and a touch of
                    > humor. You can play against one of four different
                    > computer players, and you can set different criteria
                    > for "winning" the game (i.e. annihilating the other
                    > guy's population, reaching a certain population
                    > threshold, taking over a certain amount of turf,
                    > etc). Throw in terraforming, map editing, and
                    > unpredictable thermonuclear devices, and things get
                    > really interesting.

                    Unpredictable bombs? Bomb #20?
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Star_(film)

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and