Re: Microsoft [Multiplan & Excel] Spreadsheets

  • Eric Bray
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
      After reviewing the "Household Budget Management" spreadsheet that I
      made for the Microsoft Multiplan program for the Myarc Geneve 9640
      computer, I discovered it was actually 99 Rows by 16 Columns. Much
      too large a set of cells for the TI99/4A version of Microsoft
      Multiplan to handle; someone may want to try to reduce the number of
      categories and make a spreadsheet that will run on the TI99/4A.

      OR -->

      I thought they could break the 9640 spreadsheet into three
      spreadsheets and that would then cover the entire "Household Budget
      Management" cartridge's categories of income expenses, deductible
      expenses, and non-deductible expenses to be able to run on the
      TI99/4A. Just a suggestion!

      I also found my Microsoft Excel version of the "Household Budget
      Management" cartridge in my files and have revised it for 21st
      century America.

      For a program that was first published in "1979", the "Household
      Budget Management" cartridge was a very sophisticated program that
      even had charts and projections which is a feature found in all of
      today's modern spreadsheets!

      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Bray" <ewbray2000@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > here is a site that has an excellent basic spreadsheet tutorial
      that
      > can easily adapted for use with Microsoft Multiplan:
      >
      > http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/1.html
      >
      > even though it is geared towards Excel --> you must remember that
      > Multiplan is the grandfather of Excel so all of the physical
      features
      > are the same just not as sophisticated in Multiplan. Just click on
      > the arrows to progress or go back through the tutorial!
      >

      > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Bray" <ewbray2000@> wrote:

      > **
      > >
      > > I know I had a 360K disk with the Multiplan Tutorial on it,
      however
      > > can't locate it right now. It may be over my mother's house where
      > some
      > > of my old computer stuff is stored. The next time I visit her
      > house, I
      > > will check to see if that disk is there.

      > *
      > >
      > > Microsoft Multiplan was one of the most POWERFUL business software
      > > programs ever written for the TI/994A & the Myarc Geneve 9640
      > computers.
      > > If a user can learn how to use this program, then they will have
      > leg
      > > up on understanding the GUI program of Microsoft Excel. You would
      be
      > > amazed of what this basic spreadsheet program can be used to do
      for
      > the
      > > user.
      > >
      > > A great many users have used the program as a subsitute database
      > program
      > > for keeping track of video tape collections with their values,
      coin
      > > collections with their values, stamp collections with their
      values,
      > and
      > > even their household belongings.
      > >
      > > This program is a long overlooked gem!
      > >

      > > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Bray" <ewbray2000@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I finally found the old Microsoft Multiplan speadsheet that I
      > wrote
      > > > years ago in my files for use with Myarc Geneve 9640. It was a
      > ported
      > > > over version of the "Household Budget Management" cartridge. It
      > could
      > > > easily be used for either home or business expenses.
      > > >
      > > > I was about to upload it to the internet, however I did a file
      > search
      > > > to see if it was already on the WHT site. Low and behold the
      file
      > is
      > > > there! You can find it at the following location:
      > > >
      > > > ftp.whtech.com
      > > >
      > > > 12-21-2001
      > > >
      > > > 9640 Multiplan template by Eric Bray
      > > >
      > > > \9640news\CAT10\9640HMB.ARK
      > > >
      > > > So it doesn't need to be on the site twice. If I remember
      > correctly,
      > > > the speadsheet has ~75 Rows by ~15 Columns which was too large

    • Eric Bray
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 9, 2007
        OK;

        I have completed transposing the "Household Budget Management"
        cartridge used on the TI99/4A, the Myarc Geneve 9640, and its
        simulators/emulators over to a updated Microsoft Excel spreadsheet
        [the final clone of the original version for the time being] for use
        by anyone for the next few years; I also had done this years ago when
        I transposed the cartridge over for use by the Microsoft Multiplan
        program on the Myarc Geneve 9640.

        Since this is basicly a TI/994A program written 28 years ago, I am
        offering any TI99er or 9640er a copy of this spreadsheet now in
        Microsoft Excel format.

        Just send me an e-mail to ---> ewbray2000(at)Yahoo(dot)com

        and I will send you a copy by return e-mail.

        Enjoy!

      • Gregg Eshelman
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9, 2007
          --- Eric Bray <ewbray2000@...> wrote:

          > OK;
          >
          > I have completed transposing the "Household Budget
          > Management"
          > cartridge used on the TI99/4A, the Myarc Geneve
          > 9640, and its
          > simulators/emulators over to a updated Microsoft
          > Excel spreadsheet

          Send it to Microsoft, maybe they'll put it on their
          free downloads section for Office stuff.

          Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
        • Eric Bray
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 10, 2007
            Not interested in doing that because this is intended for original
            users of "Household Budget Management" program on their TI99/4A so
            they can see what the program has become after 28 years of use by
            a 'oldtime' 99er. The IBM people could care less about the origins of
            the spreadsheet!!

            ______________
            > Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

          • Peter Killick
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 13, 2007
              > Bill Sullivan reminded me that Open Office's Calc can be used to run
              Microsoft Excel program. Since Open Office is a FREE program,
              now everyone can run the tranposed spreadsheet of "Household
              Budget Management"

              Easier still perhaps: go to Google docs & spreadsheets and import the file from there.

              (Saves downloading any of that beard 'n' sandals open source stuff on to your precious machine ... :-))

              Peter

            • Eric Bray
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 13, 2007
                Bill Sullivan remined me that Open Office's Calc can be used to run
                Microsoft Excel program. Since Open Office is a FREE program,
                now everyone can run the tranposed spreadsheet of "Household
                Budget Management" to see what a program written 28 years ago
                for the TI99/4A can become with a little tweaking to run on modern
                computer programs.

                The following are ways that users can use this program:

                TI99/4A
                /
                HBM Module -- Myarc Geneve 9640
                \
                TI99/4 Simulators & Emulators

                Myarc Geneve 9640
                /
                HBM Multiplan Spreadsheet -- Myarc Geneve 9640 Emulator
                \
                PC s throught SYLK Files

                HBM Excel Spreadsheet -- PCs running Excel or Calc

                (HBM = "Household Budget Management")

                I am finished working on the spreadsheet for the next five years
                [that is how often I renew it], however my offer to share it with any
                TI99er still stands. Just request a copy via e-mail:

                ewbray2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

                and I will send you a copy with the reply.

                --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Peter Killick <peter.killick@...>
                wrote:

                > > Bill Sullivan reminded me that Open Office's Calc can be used to
                run
                > Microsoft Excel program. Since Open Office is a FREE program,
                > now everyone can run the tranposed spreadsheet of "Household
                > Budget Management"
                >
                > Easier still perhaps: go to Google docs & spreadsheets and import
                the file from there.

                > (Saves downloading any of that beard 'n' sandals open source
                stuff on to your precious machine ... :-))

                > Peter

              • Eric Bray
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 13, 2007
                  Google Docs & Spreadsheets takes away all the bells and whistles of
                  the spreadsheet like a fixed pane or imbeded comments ---> so I don't
                  recommend going that route to view and use the "Household Budget
                  Management" spreadsheet. You lose features!!

                  wrote:

                  > > Bill Sullivan reminded me that Open Office's Calc can be used to
                  run
                  > Microsoft Excel program. Since Open Office is a FREE program,
                  > now everyone can run the tranposed spreadsheet of "Household
                  > Budget Management"
                  >
                  > Easier still perhaps: go to Google docs & spreadsheets and import
                  the file from there.

                  > (Saves downloading any of that beard 'n' sandals open source
                  stuff on to your precious machine ... :-))

                  > Peter

                • James B. DiGriz
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 13, 2007
                    Peter Killick wrote:
                    >> Bill Sullivan reminded me that Open Office's Calc can be used to run
                    > Microsoft Excel program. Since Open Office is a FREE program,
                    > now everyone can run the tranposed spreadsheet of "Household
                    > Budget Management"
                    >
                    > Easier still perhaps: go to Google docs & spreadsheets and import the file from there.
                    >
                    > (Saves downloading any of that beard 'n' sandals open source stuff on to your precious machine ... :-))
                    >
                    > Peter

                    Hey, what's wrong with beard 'n' sandals? I mean, it was good enough for
                    Jesus, right? :-)

                    As if Microsoft FUD wasn't enough, now there's Google... ;-)

                    jbdigriz
                  • Eric Bray
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 17, 2007
                      I changed my mind and decided to offer the spreadsheet to the rest of
                      the computer world just to let them know what was available from the
                      TI world today even 24 years after our computer's 'demise'.

                      So, I found a website that is educational as well a independent from
                      Microsoft and has many nice spreadsheet features:

                      http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/home-budget-worksheet.html

                      The webmaster and I worked together to offer two versions of the
                      spreadsheet... .. .

                      1. Home Budget Management
                      2. Home Budget Workbook

                      The first is a vanilla version of the "Home Budget Management"
                      cartridge.

                      The second is a more sophisticated version of what can been done to
                      the spreadsheet.

                      ENJOY! Especally if you are into these type of spreadsheets and
                      database programs.

                      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Bray" <ewbray2000@...> wrote:

                      > Not interested in doing that because this is intended for original
                      > users of "Household Budget Management" program on their TI99/4A so
                      > they can see what the program has become after 28 years of use by
                      > a 'oldtime' 99er. The IBM people could care less about the origins
                      of
                      > the spreadsheet!!
                      >
                      > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Gregg Eshelman <g_alan_e@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- Eric Bray <ewbray2000@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > OK;
                      > > >
                      > > > I have completed transposing the "Household Budget
                      > > > Management"
                      > > > cartridge used on the TI99/4A, the Myarc Geneve
                      > > > 9640, and its
                      > > > simulators/emulators over to a updated Microsoft
                      > > > Excel spreadsheet
                      > >
                      > > Send it to Microsoft, maybe they'll put it on their
                      > > free downloads section for Office stuff.

                      > > Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.
                      > > Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                      > > http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/features_spam.html

                    • kabldb
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                        So I guess all transposing is not reinventing ?

                        :-/