Re: [TI-99/4A] MYARC FDC Regulator

  • swim4home@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
      All the HFDC/FDC/Geneve boards I have worked on in the past year or two I
      have automatically replaced all regulators and caps (Including the bypass caps
      with better quality 35v rated parts.) on the power supply circuit. Tim knows the
      number of the higher current reg available from national. (I don't have any
      here at the moment.) A standard reg with heatsink held tight with screw and nut
      and new 35v cap will work very well for years.

      The boards are old and as Michael Becker has pointed out in the past here on
      the OLUG the caps are drying out.

    • Dan O'Quinn
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
        It's probably not heat alone, your original regulator(s) may have failed (or
        be failing) try replacing them with heavy duty ones (I did) or better yet
        low voltage dropout regulators.
        for some good tips on cooling your FDC see this web page. (this info applies
        to any card you want to keep cool)
        http://web.infoave.net/~compdr/tidrive/HFDC-COOL.htm
        main page
        http://web.infoave.net/~compdr/

        Dan O'Quinn

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
          I use the 1.5A 5v regulators from National.

          Adding a heat sink and thermal compound is important, too. A metal
          clamshell is nice so long as you remove or tape all offending "tabs" which
          could short out the card. I've seen my share of cards shorted with 16V
          across the CRU and input lines.

          The Myarc "plastic" shells are generally OK. I would not advise running a
          card without some sort of shell, as you run the risk of it rocking in the
          PEB and shorting out the card.

          If you test the output voltage during a card lockup, and it registers 5V,
          your problem is either a CAP or a heat sensitive logic chip. If the
          regulator is bad, all drives will fail, not just one or two.

          Tim

          >From: swim4home@...
          >To: ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] MYARC FDC Regulator
          >Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 10:59:23 EST
          >
          >All the HFDC/FDC/Geneve boards I have worked on in the past year or two I
          >have automatically replaced all regulators and caps (Including the bypass
          >caps
          >with better quality 35v rated parts.) on the power supply circuit. Tim
          >knows the
          >number of the higher current reg available from national. (I don't have any
          >here at the moment.) A standard reg with heatsink held tight with screw and
          >nut
          >and new 35v cap will work very well for years.
          >
          >The boards are old and as Michael Becker has pointed out in the past here
          >on
          >the OLUG the caps are drying out.

          >For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
          > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
          > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
          > Send abuse reports to abuse@...
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • mark wills
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2006
            Presumably, drive 3 is the drive that is NOT in the PEB yes? In other words, it is controlled by the FDC, but *powered* elsewhere.

            It sounds to me like the PEB doesnt have the grunt to power the two disk drives in the box. Drive 3 doesnt suffer, because it is powered externally...

            At least, thats what I pick up on from reading your thread...!

            Mark