RE: "Hacking" and the TI (was Re: [TI-99/4A] A Heart Warming TI Story)

  • Barry Boone
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1 6:17 PM
      Depends on what a "99'er hacker" really is.

      I know for a fact that the 99/4A was used for a number of true
      hacking/phreaking purposes. A fellow I've known for many years wrote an
      extremely sophisticated program to hack LD access codes, back when to use
      the alternate companies usually meant dialing a local number, and entering a
      code and a number to call. It did all sorts of things, like picking random
      phone numbers to dial (from a database of Compuserve dialup numbers), trying
      multiple carriers at random, trying random codes, and using the S11 register
      to vary the duration and spacing of touch tones as it tried them, so it
      would not sound like a computer dialing, and other methodologies. He wrote
      (or I should say, re-wrote it) from a program called "Xenon's Hacker", which
      was written by someone else, which had functions such as wardialing, and
      much simpler (and much more easily detectable) LD code hacking.

      The software used a wire run from the CD signal of the modem, connected to
      the Joystick port of the TI, and the CALL JOYST instruction to detect
      carrier. Some other TI BBS's of the ERA used the same method.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1 7:33 PM
        Kirsch, Timothy F wrote:

        > You know the interesting thing about ATT is I signed
        up for the 7 cent
        > a minute and monthly charge of $5.00.They billed me
        for 13 cents a
        > minute and charged me $5.00 monthly fee.When I
        called and complained
        > about the over charges I told them I want my
        overcharges back.Three
        > operator told me No.My only thing I could do was
        drop them as my long
        > distance carried and lose the overcharge fee.They
        were charged by the
        > goverment for overbilling there customer.Never did
        get my money back
        > but I will never pick them up. Doing wrong come in
        small and large
        > package.I find the little package is easier to
        punish.Just my .02
        > cents. Tim
        >
        > _

        You have to realize though, that it's not AT&T per se.
        Every ld carrier out there nowadays has customers who
        have grievances such as yours. And the AT&T of today
        is
        a different animal than the one of yore, although
        clearly it
        yearns to reestablish the former glory.

        I have friends at AT&T. Good things did come from
        AT&T. Such as
        Unix. The 3B2. The 5ESS switch. Phones that worked
        when other
        countries' systems were a joke, etc.

        I plan on memorializing killer as a testament to the
        virtue of public
        access UNIX (maybe using an S1500 instead of a 3b2,
        just to keep things
        topical.) I did not mean to single out AT&T,
        just point out that it enjoyed a highly unfair
        advantage. Yes, in the
        cosmic scheme of things,
        a criminally unfair one. The question though is who,
        exactly, are the
        criminals.

        I have an answer, maybe, but it's getting late, and I
        am tired. Too
        tired for a politico-economic treatise that is really
        off-topic. But I
        do applaud your observations, and note that, nowadays,
        you at least have
        the option, however illusory it may be, of voting with
        your feet. I
        think this is due both to what some decry as "judicial
        activism" and in
        no small part to the sacrifices of people like John
        Draper.

        later,
        jbdigriz

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • James B. DiGriz
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2 10:06 AM
          >Barry Boone wrote:
          >
          >Depends on what a "99'er hacker" really is.

          Yeah, that didn't come out the way I meant. Obviously
          this list is
          crawling with
          hackers in the pure sense of the term. I meant of
          course hackers in the
          H/P/A sense. Should
          have been consistent with the quote marks.

          >I know for a fact that the 99/4A was used for a
          number of true
          >hacking/phreaking purposes. A fellow I've known for
          many years wrote an
          >extremely sophisticated program to hack LD access
          codes, back when to use
          >the alternate companies usually meant dialing a
          local number, and
          entering a
          >code and a number to call. It did all sorts of
          things, like picking random
          >phone numbers to dial (from a database of Compuserve
          dialup numbers),
          trying
          >multiple carriers at random, trying random codes,
          and using the S11
          register
          >to vary the duration and spacing of touch tones as
          it tried them, so it
          >would not sound like a computer dialing, and other
          methodologies. He wrote
          >(or I should say, re-wrote it) from a program called
          "Xenon's Hacker",
          which
          >was written by someone else, which had functions
          such as wardialing, and
          >much simpler (and much more easily detectable) LD
          code hacking.

          The tone generators on the 4A sound chip could be used
          for interesting
          things, too, although they're not accurate enough at
          the low end of the
          frequency spectrum to be usefully reliable.

          >The software used a wire run from the CD signal of
          the modem, connected to
          >the Joystick port of the TI, and the CALL JOYST
          instruction to detect
          >carrier. Some other TI BBS's of the ERA used the
          same method.

          I ran a Paradigm BBS (our host had a hand in that
          software, btw) for a
          while that used a pin (8, i think) off RS232/2 to
          sense CD, but I wasn't
          familiar with the joystick method.

          I got my RTC card (homebrew by a Mr. Angelcyk(sic)
          from a guy who was
          getting out of running a TIBBS system in '83 and
          switching to DOS, along
          with some pirated games. He got them in turn from a
          guy in CO who was
          "moving on" as well. I've seen some other cracked game
          warez for the TI
          from that era too. A friend of mine brought back a
          bunch from Germany.
          Whoever hacked them was no slouch, but they seem to
          have either moved
          on or been real discreet.

          later,
          jbdigriz

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • ti99_forever
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2 3:30 PM
            --- "James B. DiGriz" <jbdigriz990@...> wrote:

            > The tone generators on the 4A sound chip could be
            > used
            > for interesting
            > things, too, although they're not accurate enough at
            > the low end of the
            > frequency spectrum to be usefully reliable.

            I think you mean the "high end", as you reach higher
            frequencies you can tell it takes longer to hear a
            higher sound, unless you mean the "below 110 hz"
            frequencies which are only possible with the noise
            generators. I want to say the sound generator is
            exponential (or is it logarithmic?) But it increases
            by much larger steps the higher you get to the highest
            freq (55khz).

            ---
            Ben
            http://journal4cs.blogspot.com/ (updated 12 Aug 06)

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • James B. DiGriz
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2 5:30 PM
              ti99_forever wrote:

              I think you mean the "high end", as you reach higher
              frequencies you can tell it takes longer to hear a
              higher sound, unless you mean the "below 110 hz"
              frequencies which are only possible with the noise
              generators. I want to say the sound generator is
              exponential (or is it logarithmic?) But it increases
              by much larger steps the higher you get to the highest
              freq (55khz).

              No, the percent error in frequency is greatest at low
              freqs.
              down to 110hz. I saw a chart somewhere just the other
              day
              but I can't find it right now. Anyway, 5 or 10hz off
              at 440hz is way
              more inaccurate than 100hz at 44khz.

              jbdigriz

              http://mail.yahoo.com