RE: "Hacking" and the TI (was Re: [TI-99/4A] A Heart Warming TI Story)

  • Kirsch, Timothy F
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1 5:12 PM
      You know the interesting thing about ATT is I signed up for the 7 cent a minute and monthly charge of $5.00.They billed me for 13 cents a minute and charged me $5.00 monthly fee.When I called and complained about the over charges I told them I want my overcharges back.Three operator told me No.My only thing I could do was drop them as my long distance carried and lose the overcharge fee.They were charged by the goverment for overbilling there customer.Never did get my money back but I will never pick them up. Doing wrong come in small and large package.I find the little package is easier to punish.Just my .02 cents. Tim

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1 6:17 PM
        Depends on what a "99'er hacker" really is.

        I know for a fact that the 99/4A was used for a number of true
        hacking/phreaking purposes. A fellow I've known for many years wrote an
        extremely sophisticated program to hack LD access codes, back when to use
        the alternate companies usually meant dialing a local number, and entering a
        code and a number to call. It did all sorts of things, like picking random
        phone numbers to dial (from a database of Compuserve dialup numbers), trying
        multiple carriers at random, trying random codes, and using the S11 register
        to vary the duration and spacing of touch tones as it tried them, so it
        would not sound like a computer dialing, and other methodologies. He wrote
        (or I should say, re-wrote it) from a program called "Xenon's Hacker", which
        was written by someone else, which had functions such as wardialing, and
        much simpler (and much more easily detectable) LD code hacking.

        The software used a wire run from the CD signal of the modem, connected to
        the Joystick port of the TI, and the CALL JOYST instruction to detect
        carrier. Some other TI BBS's of the ERA used the same method.

[...]

        9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BG1zZ0lkAzQ1MTQ1BH
        NlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1OTc0NjQ0OAR0cGNJZAM0NTE0NQ--> in this
        topic (1)
        5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BG1zZ0lkAzQ1MTQ1BHNlYwNmdHI
        Ec2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE1OTc0NjQ0OA--?act=reply&messageNum=45145> Reply (via
        web post) | Start
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlc2kyMXM0BF9TAzk3MzU
        5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3R
        pbWUDMTE1OTc0NjQ0OA--> a new topic

        Messages
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMHU1ZTlwBF9TAzk
        3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21zZ3M
        Ec3RpbWUDMTE1OTc0NjQ0OA--> | Polls
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJmczVzM2szBF9TAzk3Mz
        U5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3BvbGxzBH
        N0aW1lAzExNTk3NDY0NDg-> | Members
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcWhmNmllBF9TAzk3
        MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21icnME
        c3RpbWUDMTE1OTc0NjQ0OA--> | Calendar
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMmoyOGp2BF9TAzk
        3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2NhbAR
        zdGltZQMxMTU5NzQ2NDQ4>

        For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
        Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
        Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
        <http://www.ti99ers.org/home/>
        Send abuse reports to abuse@...

        TkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMTU5NzQ2NDQ4>
        Yahoo! Groups
        Change
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbWNsZ2UwBF9TAzk3MzU
        5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN
        0aW1lAzExNTk3NDY0NDg-> settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
        Change settings via email: Switch
        <mailto:ti99-4a-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
        delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
        <mailto:ti99-4a-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Form
        at:%20Traditional> format to Traditional
        Visit
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMTk2MjdnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0
        BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMx
        MTU5NzQ2NDQ4> Your Group | Yahoo! Groups
        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

        Recent Activity

        1

        New
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZGRkZ2VrBF9TAzk3
        MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJz
        BHN0aW1lAzExNTk3NDY0NDg-> Members

        Visit
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaXVodnJ1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0
        BGdycElkAzE0OTkwNzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDA3NzA5BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUD
        MTE1OTc0NjQ0OA--> Your Group

        New Message Search

        Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved
        message search.

        Share feedback on the new changes to Groups

      • James B. DiGriz
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1 7:33 PM
          Kirsch, Timothy F wrote:

          > You know the interesting thing about ATT is I signed
          up for the 7 cent
          > a minute and monthly charge of $5.00.They billed me
          for 13 cents a
          > minute and charged me $5.00 monthly fee.When I
          called and complained
          > about the over charges I told them I want my
          overcharges back.Three
          > operator told me No.My only thing I could do was
          drop them as my long
          > distance carried and lose the overcharge fee.They
          were charged by the
          > goverment for overbilling there customer.Never did
          get my money back
          > but I will never pick them up. Doing wrong come in
          small and large
          > package.I find the little package is easier to
          punish.Just my .02
          > cents. Tim
          >
          > _

          You have to realize though, that it's not AT&T per se.
          Every ld carrier out there nowadays has customers who
          have grievances such as yours. And the AT&T of today
          is
          a different animal than the one of yore, although
          clearly it
          yearns to reestablish the former glory.

          I have friends at AT&T. Good things did come from
          AT&T. Such as
          Unix. The 3B2. The 5ESS switch. Phones that worked
          when other
          countries' systems were a joke, etc.

          I plan on memorializing killer as a testament to the
          virtue of public
          access UNIX (maybe using an S1500 instead of a 3b2,
          just to keep things
          topical.) I did not mean to single out AT&T,
          just point out that it enjoyed a highly unfair
          advantage. Yes, in the
          cosmic scheme of things,
          a criminally unfair one. The question though is who,
          exactly, are the
          criminals.

          I have an answer, maybe, but it's getting late, and I
          am tired. Too
          tired for a politico-economic treatise that is really
          off-topic. But I
          do applaud your observations, and note that, nowadays,
          you at least have
          the option, however illusory it may be, of voting with
          your feet. I
          think this is due both to what some decry as "judicial
          activism" and in
          no small part to the sacrifices of people like John
          Draper.

          later,
          jbdigriz

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • James B. DiGriz
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2 10:06 AM
            >Barry Boone wrote:
            >
            >Depends on what a "99'er hacker" really is.

            Yeah, that didn't come out the way I meant. Obviously
            this list is
            crawling with
            hackers in the pure sense of the term. I meant of
            course hackers in the
            H/P/A sense. Should
            have been consistent with the quote marks.

            >I know for a fact that the 99/4A was used for a
            number of true
            >hacking/phreaking purposes. A fellow I've known for
            many years wrote an
            >extremely sophisticated program to hack LD access
            codes, back when to use
            >the alternate companies usually meant dialing a
            local number, and
            entering a
            >code and a number to call. It did all sorts of
            things, like picking random
            >phone numbers to dial (from a database of Compuserve
            dialup numbers),
            trying
            >multiple carriers at random, trying random codes,
            and using the S11
            register
            >to vary the duration and spacing of touch tones as
            it tried them, so it
            >would not sound like a computer dialing, and other
            methodologies. He wrote
            >(or I should say, re-wrote it) from a program called
            "Xenon's Hacker",
            which
            >was written by someone else, which had functions
            such as wardialing, and
            >much simpler (and much more easily detectable) LD
            code hacking.

            The tone generators on the 4A sound chip could be used
            for interesting
            things, too, although they're not accurate enough at
            the low end of the
            frequency spectrum to be usefully reliable.

            >The software used a wire run from the CD signal of
            the modem, connected to
            >the Joystick port of the TI, and the CALL JOYST
            instruction to detect
            >carrier. Some other TI BBS's of the ERA used the
            same method.

            I ran a Paradigm BBS (our host had a hand in that
            software, btw) for a
            while that used a pin (8, i think) off RS232/2 to
            sense CD, but I wasn't
            familiar with the joystick method.

            I got my RTC card (homebrew by a Mr. Angelcyk(sic)
            from a guy who was
            getting out of running a TIBBS system in '83 and
            switching to DOS, along
            with some pirated games. He got them in turn from a
            guy in CO who was
            "moving on" as well. I've seen some other cracked game
            warez for the TI
            from that era too. A friend of mine brought back a
            bunch from Germany.
            Whoever hacked them was no slouch, but they seem to
            have either moved
            on or been real discreet.

            later,
            jbdigriz

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • ti99_forever
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2 3:30 PM
              --- "James B. DiGriz" <jbdigriz990@...> wrote:

              > The tone generators on the 4A sound chip could be
              > used
              > for interesting
              > things, too, although they're not accurate enough at
              > the low end of the
              > frequency spectrum to be usefully reliable.

              I think you mean the "high end", as you reach higher
              frequencies you can tell it takes longer to hear a
              higher sound, unless you mean the "below 110 hz"
              frequencies which are only possible with the noise
              generators. I want to say the sound generator is
              exponential (or is it logarithmic?) But it increases
              by much larger steps the higher you get to the highest
              freq (55khz).

              ---
              Ben
              http://journal4cs.blogspot.com/ (updated 12 Aug 06)

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • James B. DiGriz
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2 5:30 PM
                ti99_forever wrote:

                I think you mean the "high end", as you reach higher
                frequencies you can tell it takes longer to hear a
                higher sound, unless you mean the "below 110 hz"
                frequencies which are only possible with the noise
                generators. I want to say the sound generator is
                exponential (or is it logarithmic?) But it increases
                by much larger steps the higher you get to the highest
                freq (55khz).

                No, the percent error in frequency is greatest at low
                freqs.
                down to 110hz. I saw a chart somewhere just the other
                day
                but I can't find it right now. Anyway, 5 or 10hz off
                at 440hz is way
                more inaccurate than 100hz at 44khz.

                jbdigriz

                http://mail.yahoo.com