[TI-99/4A] FA: Gram Kracker

  • Dan O'Quinn
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 24, 2006
      I saw this listed on ebay and thougt I would share the info
      it's not my auction BTW

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290009553206

      If ya ever wanted a GramKraker here's your chance to get one
    • James M. Postle, Sr.
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 26, 2006
        Dan,

        The best part was the Statement: "Pay no interest until 2007 - Apply"

        At least a few people in this world have a sense of humor.

        Postle

        --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Dan O'Quinn <dano@...> wrote:

        > I saw this listed on ebay and thougt I would share the info
        > it's not my auction BTW
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290009553206
        >
        > If ya ever wanted a GramKraker here's your chance to get one

      • Barry Peterson
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 26, 2006
          On 7/26/06, James M. Postle, Sr. <postle@...> wrote:

          > Dan,
          >
          > The best part was the Statement: "Pay no interest until 2007 - Apply"
          >
          > At least a few people in this world have a sense of humor.

          Is $365 a reasonable price for a GramKracker? I don't see much else of much
          value there...

        • Jon Vogel
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 26, 2006
            From: "Barry Peterson" <barry.peterson@...>

            > Is $365 a reasonable price for a GramKracker? I don't see much else of
            > much
            > value there...

            Yes. I seldom see one go for less than $300-$350, when they are available.

            Regards,

            Jon
          • ti99_forever
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 26, 2006
              --- Jon Vogel <jonpvogel@...> wrote:

              > From: "Barry Peterson" <barry.peterson@...>
              >
              > > Is $365 a reasonable price for a GramKracker? I
              > don't see much else of
              > > much
              > > value there...
              >
              > Yes. I seldom see one go for less than $300-$350,
              > when they are available.

              Gee, a Geneve isn't worth much more than a Gram
              Kracker?
              Maybe I need to sell my GK!

              ---
              Ben
              http://journal4cs.blogspot.com/

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Jon Vogel
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 27, 2006
                From: ti99_forever

                >Gee, a Geneve isn't worth much more than a Gram
                >Kracker?

                Consider the user base: Geneves are a bit of an esoteric piece of hardware,
                whereas anyone with a standard TI setup can appreciate a Gram-Kracker.

                Regards,

                Jon
              • John Buckley
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 27, 2006
                  FYI, I have a Gram Kracker. In fact I have a bunch of old TI stuff that I
                  plan to get rid of. Sounds like the Gram Kracker would be pretty easy to
                  sell.

                  On Mon, July 24, 2006 10:28 am, Dan O'Quinn said:
                  > I saw this listed on ebay and thougt I would share the info
                  > it's not my auction BTW
                  >
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290009553206
                  >
                  > If ya ever wanted a GramKraker here's your chance to get one

                  John Buckley

                  Team in Training Alumnus

                  100 mile bike ride for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

                  Donate at http://www.active.com/donate/tntgmo/JohnBuckley

                  America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride: http://www.bikethewest.com/AMBRR.html

                  "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In
                  practice, however, there is".

                  Jan van de Snepscheut

                  The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion
                  of knowledge.
                  Daniel J. Boorstin
                • macnlos@ti-994a.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 27, 2006
                    $300 - $350 seems like a lot for a GK. I bought mine about a year ago for
                    about $150 off a regular eBay auction. It came with the 80k upgrade,
                    manual and software. Or then again maybe I got very lucky. :)
                    CR

                    > From: "Barry Peterson" <barry.peterson@...>
                    >
                    >> Is $365 a reasonable price for a GramKracker? I don't see much else of
                    >> much
                    >> value there...
                    >
                    > Yes. I seldom see one go for less than $300-$350, when they are
                    > available.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Jon
                  • Jon Vogel
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 27, 2006
                      From: macnlos@...

                      >$300 - $350 seems like a lot for a GK. I bought mine about a year ago for
                      >about $150 off a regular eBay auction. It came with the 80k upgrade,
                      >manual and software. Or then again maybe I got very lucky. :)

                      That's the funny thing about eBay: something is worth exactly what two or
                      more people are willing to squabble over at that moment when the item is up
                      for auction. :-)

                      So, when selling or buying on eBay, no price is guaranteed.

                      Regards,

                      Jon
                    • Timothy F.Kirsch
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 27, 2006
                        All you need is two people that want it bad enough.My belief is if
                        they want it bad enough and have the money the more power to the
                        seller.I do believe that the equipment is selling to hi.But I am glad
                        they can get it if they want it.It just mean that people with low
                        income probably are not going to get the bid.The ti 99/8 bought a
                        nice price that sold.I would if I had the money would have tried to
                        buy it.To each it own. Hope it goes to a nice new home.It's a shame
                        it's not mine.Ha! Ha! Have a good day. Tim

                        --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Vogel" <jonpvogel@...> wrote:

                        > From: macnlos@...
                        >
                        > >$300 - $350 seems like a lot for a GK. I bought mine about a year
                        ago for
                        > >about $150 off a regular eBay auction. It came with the 80k
                        upgrade,
                        > >manual and software. Or then again maybe I got very lucky. :)
                        >
                        > That's the funny thing about eBay: something is worth exactly what
                        two or
                        > more people are willing to squabble over at that moment when the
                        item is up
                        > for auction. :-)
                        >
                        > So, when selling or buying on eBay, no price is guaranteed.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > Jon

                      • ti99_forever
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 27, 2006
                          My buyer, who is in Germany, is looking for a place to
                          buy a video cable for the Geneve.

                          Any ideas? Of course something local to the buyer
                          would be best.

                          He says he has an Amiga monitor, so it would probably
                          be a D-sub connector instead of the DIN that Magnavox
                          used.

                          I personally would build one, like I did for my
                          Mechatronics. With the usual duct-tape added to
                          stabilize the cable, due to the poor soldering job ;)

                          Ben

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 27, 2006
                            Buying a ready-made cable may be impossible, the Amiga-Monitor uses a
                            SCART-socket as RGB-input, so he needs a 8-pin DIN to SCART cable.
                            Let him contact me if he doesn't want to make his own cable.
                            GreeTIngs
                            Jens-Eike

                            ti99_forever wrote:
                            > My buyer, who is in Germany, is looking for a place to
                            > buy a video cable for the Geneve.
                            >
                            > Any ideas? Of course something local to the buyer
                            > would be best.
                            >
                            > He says he has an Amiga monitor, so it would probably
                            > be a D-sub connector instead of the DIN that Magnavox
                            > used.
                            >
                            > I personally would build one, like I did for my
                            > Mechatronics. With the usual duct-tape added to
                            > stabilize the cable, due to the poor soldering job ;)
                            >
                            > Ben
                          • David F. Wooledge
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 28, 2006
                              I am thinking the buyer was not just wanting to get the Gram Kracker
                              but was indeed bidding on the whole system that was offered. That
                              seems like a reasonable amount for a 99\4A that included a GK as
                              well as other items.
                              Dave

                              --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Peterson"
                              <barry.peterson@...> wrote:

                              > On 7/26/06, James M. Postle, Sr. <postle@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Dan,
                              > >
                              > > The best part was the Statement: "Pay no interest until 2007 -
                              Apply"

                              > > At least a few people in this world have a sense of humor.
                              >

                              > Is $365 a reasonable price for a GramKracker? I don't see much
                              else of much
                              > value there...

                            • Adam Haase
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 28, 2006
                                The question I have is, the Gram Kracker is, obviously, a popular
                                piece of hardware. Aside from the utility of transferring your
                                cartridge software to modern mediums, you could also use it for
                                cartridge development purposes.

                                So, why not make a new version of the GK, using flash-memory? The only
                                limitation I can see is having to create a cart port interface, but
                                possibly you could cannibalize existing cartridges (plenty on eBay)
                                for this?

                                Just a hardware project possibility. I really could use a GK so I
                                could get my Extended Basic 3 super cartridge to emulation. (Although
                                it appears it may be tricky to get to work on most of them, given it's
                                unique nature...)

                                Adam

                                --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "David F. Wooledge" <wooledge001_@...>
                                wrote:

                                > I am thinking the buyer was not just wanting to get the Gram Kracker
                                > but was indeed bidding on the whole system that was offered. That
                                > seems like a reasonable amount for a 99\4A that included a GK as
                                > well as other items.
                                > Dave
                                >
                                > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Peterson"
                                > <barry.peterson@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > On 7/26/06, James M. Postle, Sr. <postle@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Dan,
                                > > >
                                > > > The best part was the Statement: "Pay no interest until 2007 -
                                > Apply"
                                > > >
                                > > > At least a few people in this world have a sense of humor.
                                > >

                                > > Is $365 a reasonable price for a GramKracker? I don't see much
                                > else of much
                                > > value there...

                              • ti99_forever
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 28, 2006
                                  --- Adam Haase <ironwolf@...> wrote:

                                  > The question I have is, the Gram Kracker is,
                                  > obviously, a popular
                                  > piece of hardware. Aside from the utility of
                                  > transferring your
                                  > cartridge software to modern mediums, you could also
                                  > use it for
                                  > cartridge development purposes.
                                  >
                                  > So, why not make a new version of the GK, using
                                  > flash-memory? The only
                                  > limitation I can see is having to create a cart port
                                  > interface, but
                                  > possibly you could cannibalize existing cartridges
                                  > (plenty on eBay)
                                  > for this?
                                  >
                                  > Just a hardware project possibility. I really could
                                  > use a GK so I
                                  > could get my Extended Basic 3 super cartridge to
                                  > emulation. (Although
                                  > it appears it may be tricky to get to work on most
                                  > of them, given it's
                                  > unique nature...)

                                  I second this. A GK by nature is a heavy beast,
                                  hanging out your cartridge port. It has a tendency to
                                  "shift" occasionally, causing lock-ups. And after a
                                  while, you start having "old age" creep up on you and
                                  things stop working so nicely. Same goes for the Gram
                                  Kracker...

                                  Mine can be cantankerous - reporting "write protect"
                                  is on at times, when it isn't. Not allowing my TI to
                                  power on, unless the GK is exactly at the right angle
                                  (I'm in the middle of replacing the GROM connector to
                                  see if this is the problem, and removing that filthy
                                  felt from the connector). Locking up in the middle of
                                  a move using the modified GK Video Chess is a real
                                  annoyance. It takes forever to make a move sometimes
                                  anyway - and to have it lock up is a pain.

                                  ---
                                  Ben
                                  http://journal4cs.blogspot.com/

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • manito_mike
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
                                    That's about what I sold my spare one for and it was also 80k, manual
                                    and original disks. I still have another (like new) one and would be
                                    astonished to get $300-350 for it! Mike---

                                    In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, macnlos@... wrote:

                                    > $300 - $350 seems like a lot for a GK. I bought mine about a year
                                    ago for
                                    > about $150 off a regular eBay auction. It came with the 80k upgrade,
                                    > manual and software. Or then again maybe I got very lucky. :)
                                    > CR
                                    >

                                    > > From: "Barry Peterson" <barry.peterson@...>
                                    > >
                                    > >> Is $365 a reasonable price for a GramKracker? I don't see much
                                    else of
                                    > >> much
                                    > >> value there...
                                    > >
                                    > > Yes. I seldom see one go for less than $300-$350, when they are
                                    > > available.
                                    > >
                                    > > Regards,
                                    > >
                                    > > Jon

                                  • manito_mike
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
                                      That would be a really nice thing to have, ESPECIALLY if you had all
                                      the Gram Kraker memory editing capability etc. If it was 100%
                                      compatible, you would also have use of all the other software, like
                                      Gram Packer. The ability to customize your cartridge software was a
                                      big selling point for me. Mike

                                      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, ti99_forever <ti99_forever@...> wrote:

                                      > --- Adam Haase <ironwolf@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > The question I have is, the Gram Kracker is,
                                      > > obviously, a popular
                                      > > piece of hardware. Aside from the utility of
                                      > > transferring your
                                      > > cartridge software to modern mediums, you could also
                                      > > use it for
                                      > > cartridge development purposes.
                                      > >
                                      > > So, why not make a new version of the GK, using
                                      > > flash-memory? The only
                                      > > limitation I can see is having to create a cart port
                                      > > interface, but
                                      > > possibly you could cannibalize existing cartridges
                                      > > (plenty on eBay)
                                      > > for this?
                                      > >
                                      > > Just a hardware project possibility. I really could
                                      > > use a GK so I
                                      > > could get my Extended Basic 3 super cartridge to
                                      > > emulation. (Although
                                      > > it appears it may be tricky to get to work on most
                                      > > of them, given it's
                                      > > unique nature...)

                                    • Rory Binkerd
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
                                        I may have a gram kracker for sale shortly. Hasn't been used in years.

                                        Rory