Wardialers and TI

  • roundfilesilver
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2006
      A TI wardialer would be done in software? On a more sophisticated modem than the TI
      brand?

      James
    • Gregory McGill
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2006
        It is in xbasic and requires a hayes compatible smartmodem.

        Greg

        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2006
          Is the software on Whtech? A smartmodem means what again, and the hayes company
          modem was used with the program?

          The smartmodem detects and dials?

          > It is in xbasic and requires a hayes compatible smartmodem.
          >
          > Greg

        • Gregory McGill
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2006
            I'm a teach a man to fish kind of guy, so here's some resources for you to
            find stuff out on your own. Google is awesome for stuff like this..
            www.google.com

            I'm not sure if the wargames dialer is on whtech I assume so it was widely
            available. According to the search engine at
            http://www.uswingnuts.com/9640News/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=search

            there's nothing like that on there. I have it on disc somewhere but that's
            in a box under another box etc. might take a bit to find.

            Lets get you some proper modem edjimkation wikipedia has tons of info that
            answers a lot of your general questions like:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem

            The Smartmodem
            The next major advance in modems was the Smartmodem, introduced in 1981 by
            Hayes Communications. The Smartmodem was an otherwise-standard 103A 300 bps
            modem, but was attached to a small controller that let the computer send
            commands to it to operate the phone line. The command set included
            instructions for picking up and hanging up the phone, dialing numbers, and
            answering calls. The basic Hayes command set remains the basis for computer
            control of most modern modems. (ie, any modem you buy these days is hayes
            compatible for the most part)

            Read the wikipedia for more info. on modems.

            Greg

            Is the software on Whtech? A smartmodem means what again, and the hayes
            company
            modem was used with the program?

            The smartmodem detects and dials?

            > It is in xbasic and requires a hayes compatible smartmodem.
            >
            > Greg

          • Miller, Beery W.
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2006
              I remember one War Dialer. I believe MP had an add for it in it's very early beginnings.

              As I recall, it was written in assembly.

              You gave it an area code, local prefix, and a starting/ending 4 digit number, and told it to "go". It would log calls. It would not work with the acoustic modem, but rather a modem with the normal AT command set.

              Beery

              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2006
                On 5/2/06, roundfilesilver <roundfilesilver@...> wrote:

                > A TI wardialer would be done in software? On a more sophisticated modem
                > than the TI
                > brand?

                My two cents: Every modem is "sophisticated modem than the TI brand"

              • Gregory McGill
                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2006
                  Interestingly enough one of the popular chipsets in modern modems is made by
                  TI. Of course Barry was talking about the 300 baud acoustic coupler bottom
                  of the barrell 99/4a modem :)

                  Greg

                  My two cents: Every modem is "sophisticated modem than the TI brand"
                • Dan Olson
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 3, 2006
                    A Smartmodem is a Hayes model, I believe they were the first to use tht
                    "AT" command set, which has become the standard over the years.

                    Dan

                    On Wed, 3 May 2006, roundfilesilver wrote:

                    > Is the software on Whtech? A smartmodem means what again, and the hayes company
                    > modem was used with the program?
                    >
                    > The smartmodem detects and dials?
                    >>
                    >> It is in xbasic and requires a hayes compatible smartmodem.
                    >>
                    >> Greg

                  • Sullivan, Bill
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 4, 2006
                      Hi Barry,

                      FYI TI wasn't the only vendor to manufacture acoustic coupler type
                      modems that were not sophisticated. Most of them required manual
                      dialing (DTMF or dial pulse). This meant that the human would control
                      ON-HOOK/OFF-HOOK conditions with the phone switch, and the human would
                      do dial tone detect by listening with the receiver close to the ear, and
                      dial the phone number using the rotary dial or DTMF pad. After hearing
                      modem tones place the handset in the acoustic coupler's sound absorption
                      cradle. The human also provided the intelligence for controlling the
                      foregoing sequence--not the computer! :)

                      Bill

                      Barry Peterson wrote:

                      >On 5/2/06, roundfilesilver <roundfilesilver@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >>A TI wardialer would be done in software? On a more sophisticated modem
                      >>than the TI
                      >>brand?
                      >>

                      >My two cents: Every modem is "sophisticated modem than the TI brand"

                      >For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
                      > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                      > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                      > Send abuse reports to abuse@...
                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Barry Peterson
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 4, 2006
                        On 5/4/06, Sullivan, Bill <sullivanbill@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Barry,
                        >
                        > FYI TI wasn't the only vendor to manufacture acoustic coupler type
                        > modems that were not sophisticated.

                        True, I've owned several different brands over the years. (But none now)