Re: Frustration Immense

  • Tony McGovern
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2000
      --- In ti99-4a@egroups.com, eicher@d... wrote:

      > Tony,
      > Can the disk be read by a TI? <snip>

      The problem is that I do not have a functional TI
      system at present. Any path to recovering the
      various FW and other sources seems fraught with
      problems. The worst of which may be that my TI
      disks are no longer readable in any machine.

      Tony
    • Joe Simmons
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2000
        Tony,

        Considering all the unwanted ti equipment floating around, perhaps we
        could get it to Will or Bob and they could pack it in their luggage and get
        it to you to avoid the high shipment expense..

        It is too bad that you, of all people, not to have a functioning ti system.

        joe

      • harold.mayo@cats.gratisnet.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2000
          > The problem is that I do not have a functional TI
          > system at present. Any path to recovering the
          > various FW and other sources seems fraught with
          > problems. The worst of which may be that my TI
          > disks are no longer readable in any machine.
          >
          > Tony

          t> Considering all the unwanted ti equipment
          t> floating around, perhaps we
          t> could get it to Will or Bob and they could pack it
          t> in their luggage and get
          t> it to you to avoid the high shipment expense..

          t> It is too bad that you, of all people, not to have a
          t> functioning ti system.

          t> joe
          I agree wholeheartily! Tony is one of the main reasons that our
          community has perservered over the years.
          Count me in for a donation to the "care package" for Tony. Just
          exactly what is needed to get your system up and running, or at
          least back on line? Ooops, I think that statement is redundant!

          I even have a collection of Shugart SSSD drives that could use a
          new home (G)!

          Via THE ORPHANAGE BBS in beautiful downtown Sperry,OK. 1-918-288-6708.
          The oldest 100% TI/GENEVE bbs using SNT software. Est: 1985!

          --

          GratisNet - Tulsa, OK
        • Randell (Ol' Matt) Matthews
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2000
            Harold,
            John Burt, who is already in country has offered assistance to
            Tony. However if there is something that Burt Can't furnish or direct
            him to. Get a list up and lets see if we can help Tony, That is if he
            wants help. He sure as hell has helped us over the years.
            Ol' Matt

          • ab31@juno.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2000
              On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:51:29 -0000 "Tony McGovern"
              <arvcm@...> wrote:

              >Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'll see about
              >resurrecting the 1.2 Mb drives as soon as I can
              >again. Also have to work out the jumpering of
              >these for use as TI 720 Kb drives too.
              >
              >Tony

              I don't think that you can use a 1.2 MB drive with a TI system. That type
              of drive rotates the disk at 360 RPM instead of 300 RPM. The disk
              controller needs to be set to operate at 300 KHz instead of 250 KHz to
              read a low density disk in that drive. I am not aware of any TI
              compatible disk controllers working at that rate. I have read about dual
              speed drives but they seem to be very rare.

              I hope you are write protecting your disks to reduce the chance of
              accidentally changing them. Were they making a lot of noise when
              spinning? If so, they may need some cleaning. A slightly wet cotton swab
              works well to rub off mold or other dirt on the disk.

              Probably the most reliable way of reading them is to use the same drive
              and controller that wrote them. I've noticed that some drives and
              controllers read disks more reliably than others.

              Andy B.

              Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • Dan Olson
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2000
                > I agree wholeheartily! Tony is one of the main reasons that our
                > community has perservered over the years.
                > Count me in for a donation to the "care package" for Tony. Just
                > exactly what is needed to get your system up and running, or at
                > least back on line? Ooops, I think that statement is redundant!
                >
                > I even have a collection of Shugart SSSD drives that could use a
                > new home (G)!

                You know, I was looking for a couple a while ago, and never really got
                anywhere. If you're really interested in parting with them, could you let
                me know what model you've got and what you'd want for a couple (trades
                included)?? I suppose shipping might add up quick...

                Dan
              • Tony McGovern
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4, 2000
                  --- In ti99-4a@egroups.com, ab31@j... wrote:
                  > On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:51:29 -0000 "Tony
                  McGovern"
                  > <arvcm@c...> wrote:
                  >
                  > >Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'll see about
                  > >resurrecting the 1.2 Mb drives as soon as I can
                  > >again. Also have to work out the jumpering of
                  > >these for use as TI 720 Kb drives too.
                  > >
                  > >Tony
                  >
                  > I don't think that you can use a 1.2 MB drive
                  with a TI system. That type
                  > of drive rotates the disk at 360 RPM instead of
                  300 RPM. .... <snip>

                  Some can be, I believe.

                  Tony
                • harold.mayo@cats.gratisnet.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2000
                    t> You know, I was looking for a couple a while ago, and never really
                    got
                    t> anywhere. If you're really interested in parting
                    t> with them, could you let
                    t> me know what model you've got and what you'd want for a couple
                    (trades
                    t> included)?? I suppose shipping might add up quick...

                    t> Dan

                    As soon as I unearth the drives from whatever cubby hole that I
                    consigned them to, I will gladly post the model numbers, then
                    when, or if, you decide if you would like a couple or three
                    or more, we will go from there! The BW will be overcome with
                    joy to see them go out the door (G)!!

                    Via THE ORPHANAGE BBS in beautiful downtown Sperry. 1-918-288-6708.