Re: [TI-99/4A] Thierry's IDE controller on the Geneve and Floppy Controller Issues

  • Sullivan, Bill
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 31, 2006
      Is your Geneve a GenMod version? If not, the extra resistors are not
      required. The switch, however, is required because a two byte word, odd
      & even, are in reverse order for the TMS9995 vs. the TMS9900.

      I was able to use a Myarc 80 track FDC, Corcomp with MG EPROMS FDC and a
      BwG FDC with my IDE controller card without noticing any difference
      what-so-ever. They all worked with many different IDE hard drives also:

      1 x Conner CFS850A 850MB
      1 x Maxtor 7850AV 850MB
      2 x Quantum 1080AT 1.0GB
      1 x Quantum Fireball CR 4.3GB
      1 x WD Caviar 36400 6.4GB
      1 x Maxtor 90845D4 8.4GB
      1 x WD Caviar 205AA 20.5GB

      My current in-use drive is a WD Caviar 22500 (2.1GB), so you should try
      what ever you have on hand. Any gigabyte size drive is probably over
      kill for our TI/Geneve use, but I suppose it would be way 'cool' to tell
      your PC friends that your antique TI/Geneve sports a 20.0GB hard drive!

      I haven't tried the IDE on my GenMod Geneve because it doesn't need it
      as it sports an internal 240MB SCSI and a 45MB MFM drive, plus two
      external drives; a 135MB SyQuest EZ135 and a 230MB EZFlyer.

      Bill

      manito_mike wrote:

      > I am very strongly considering setting up one of the IDE card's
      >designed by Thierry N. on either my Geneve or TI but I was told that
      >there may be issues with certain floppy drive controllers.
      >
      > quoting ANOTHER source ( Not Thierry N. ):
      >
      >"I am sure that you are aware they are sensitive to the brand of
      >floppy disk controller in your system. If you have a TI controller,
      >use a 540meg Western Digital with LBA. "
      >
      >I have a Myarc Floppy Controller in all my systems and plan to do the
      >80 track upgrade in at least one of them. I don't use the CorComp or
      >TI controllers I have because I much prefer the Myarcs.
      >
      > I see on Thierry's site, that the card needs to be further modified
      >with a couple of resistors to coax the Geneve into thinking "Genmod"
      >is present and an optional switch needs to be installed to decode
      >additional address lines. Not perfectly clear on the point to point
      >positioning on the resistors, but I imagine I can figure that out.
      >
      > Can ANY LBA drive be used or am I limited to the tiny, obsolete and
      >nearly dead like the 540 meg WD? Thierry's site indicated that just
      >about any LBA drive was ok. I have a couple of nice and lightly used
      >4.3 and 20 gig notebook drives that ought to work with the adapter kit
      >I use to test them in a normal pc. They ought to spin up nicely in a p
      >box.
      >
      > Is it any easier to just put the IDE card in a normal TI environment?
      >Maybe I ought to simply do that. Any thoughts or info?
      >

      >For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
      > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
      > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
      > Send abuse reports to abuse@...
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • manito_mike
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
        And I'll trade a full height st-506 MFM for the WD 540, oh what the
        heck... make it a full height 10! <grin>. Mike

        --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Dan Olson <dano@a...> wrote:

        > > Can ANY LBA drive be used or am I limited to the tiny, obsolete and
        > > nearly dead like the 540 meg WD? Thierry's site indicated that just
        > > about any LBA drive was ok. I have a couple of nice and lightly used
        > > 4.3 and 20 gig notebook drives that ought to work with the adapter kit
        > > I use to test them in a normal pc. They ought to spin up nicely in a p
        > > box.
        >
        > I'll trade you a 540 meg WD for the 20 gig drive.
        >
        > Dan

      • manito_mike
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
          Thanks for the info, Bill.
          No, I have no GenMod so my next task is figuring out WHERE to install
          the resistors. I'll probably add a switch to switch the resistors in
          and out as well. Hopefully, that will not mess up my v1.0 non-GenMod
          eprom that is enroute.

          --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Sullivan, Bill" <sullivanbill@s...>
          wrote:

          > Is your Geneve a GenMod version? If not, the extra resistors are not
          > required. The switch, however, is required because a two byte word,
          odd
          > & even, are in reverse order for the TMS9995 vs. the TMS9900.
          >
          > I was able to use a Myarc 80 track FDC, Corcomp with MG EPROMS FDC
          and a
          > BwG FDC with my IDE controller card without noticing any difference
          > what-so-ever. They all worked with many different IDE hard drives also:
          >
          > 1 x Conner CFS850A 850MB
          > 1 x Maxtor 7850AV 850MB
          > 2 x Quantum 1080AT 1.0GB
          > 1 x Quantum Fireball CR 4.3GB
          > 1 x WD Caviar 36400 6.4GB
          > 1 x Maxtor 90845D4 8.4GB
          > 1 x WD Caviar 205AA 20.5GB
          >
          > My current in-use drive is a WD Caviar 22500 (2.1GB), so you should try
          > what ever you have on hand. Any gigabyte size drive is probably over
          > kill for our TI/Geneve use, but I suppose it would be way 'cool' to
          tell
          > your PC friends that your antique TI/Geneve sports a 20.0GB hard drive!
          >
          > I haven't tried the IDE on my GenMod Geneve because it doesn't need it
          > as it sports an internal 240MB SCSI and a 45MB MFM drive, plus two
          > external drives; a 135MB SyQuest EZ135 and a 230MB EZFlyer.
          >
          > Bill

        • manito_mike
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
            Bill, I think I was talking past you before. Are you saying that the
            resistors are only required IF you have a GenMod Geneve? I got just
            the opposite impression from Thierry's info on his site. Have you used
            in in your Geneve Non GenMod without the resistors? I seriously doubt
            I will ever GenMod mine, the Memex cards look to be about as rare as
            hen's teeth..... Mike

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
              Bill, I got this from Thierry's web site, in the IDE card production
              version instructions, please refer erence my previous message:

              "Note that , if you have a Geneve but did not perform the "Genmod"
              modification, you will need to pull line AMD low and line AME high.
              This can be done easily by installing two extra 4.7 Kohms resistors.
              These resistor will make your PE-box GenMod-like, so if you have other
              cards with similar decoding logic (e.g. my USB-SM card), you will not
              need to pull AMD nor AME on these cards: one card is enough. If you do
              have GenMod, do NOT install these two resistors."

              --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Sullivan, Bill" <sullivanbill@...> wrote:

              > Is your Geneve a GenMod version? If not, the extra resistors are not
              > required.
            • Sullivan, Bill
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
                True. I did state the requirement backwards, but I've wondered about it
                from the beginning as I believe the MEMEX card takes care of the
                requirement either way. The switches on the MEMEX are set differently
                for a GenMod Geneve versus a non-GenMod Geneve, and there is a pin on
                one chip that is removed from the socket for one situation or the
                other. I don't remember which way it is, and I don't have time right
                now to go look at my spare MEMEX card, which is set for the non-GenMod
                condition.

                I will try to check this out tomorrow, if I can find the time.

                Bill

                manito_mike wrote:

                >Bill, I got this from Thierry's web site, in the IDE card production
                >version instructions, please refer erence my previous message:
                >
                >"Note that , if you have a Geneve but did not perform the "Genmod"
                >modification, you will need to pull line AMD low and line AME high.
                >This can be done easily by installing two extra 4.7 Kohms resistors.
                >These resistor will make your PE-box GenMod-like, so if you have other
                >cards with similar decoding logic (e.g. my USB-SM card), you will not
                >need to pull AMD nor AME on these cards: one card is enough. If you do
                >have GenMod, do NOT install these two resistors."
                >

                >--- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Sullivan, Bill" <sullivanbill@...> wrote:
                >

                >>Is your Geneve a GenMod version? If not, the extra resistors are not
                >>required.
                >>

                >For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
                > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                > Send abuse reports to abuse@...
                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Dan Olson
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Are you paying shipping? I have an old moving box with 6 or 8 of those
                  drives and I could hardly lift it...and throught it would break the shelf.
                  They're ST-412s though, the big ones :)

                  Dan

                  On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, manito_mike wrote:

                  > And I'll trade a full height st-506 MFM for the WD 540, oh what the
                  > heck... make it a full height 10! <grin>. Mike
                  >

                  > --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Dan Olson <dano@a...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Can ANY LBA drive be used or am I limited to the tiny, obsolete and
                  >>> nearly dead like the 540 meg WD? Thierry's site indicated that just
                  >>> about any LBA drive was ok. I have a couple of nice and lightly used
                  >>> 4.3 and 20 gig notebook drives that ought to work with the adapter kit
                  >>> I use to test them in a normal pc. They ought to spin up nicely in a p
                  >>> box.
                  >>
                  >> I'll trade you a 540 meg WD for the 20 gig drive.
                  >>
                  >> Dan
                  >>

                  > For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
                  > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                  > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                  > Send abuse reports to abuse@...
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • manito_mike
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
                    I hope you're kidding, and realize that I was. Besides I'm probably
                    getting too old to lift MY old box full in order to drag the thing
                    out! An ST-506 is a whopping FIVE meg full height boat anchor, by the
                    way, pretty much the same as an ST-406, just different buffering.( I
                    actually do have one of them in a big humpin' drive case that was set
                    up with a Myarc personality card. I used them for a while on my old
                    Techie BBS.) Your ST-412's are 10 meg as I recall, but equally svelte.
                    I would need to move one pretty badly to pay shipping, as I suspect
                    you would also. Not to mention making the UPS or FedEx driver decide
                    to put you on that special list. ( And no, it is not their Christmas
                    card list). ;)>

                    --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Dan Olson <dano@...> wrote:

                    > Are you paying shipping? I have an old moving box with 6 or 8 of those
                    > drives and I could hardly lift it...and throught it would break the
                    shelf.
                    > They're ST-412s though, the big ones :)
                    >
                    > Dan
                    >

                    > On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, manito_mike wrote:
                    >

                    > > And I'll trade a full height st-506 MFM for the WD 540, oh what the
                    > > heck... make it a full height 10! <grin>. Mike

                    > >> I'll trade you a 540 meg WD for the 20 gig drive.
                    > >>
                    > >> Dan
                    > >>

                    > > For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
                    > > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                    > > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at
                    http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                    > > Send abuse reports to abuse@...
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • manito_mike
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
                      If I do need the resistors, then I will still need to figure out the
                      best physical point-to-point installation of them - there wasn't
                      anything specific on how to add them, unless I missed it. I don't have
                      a Memex card, so whether the Memex takes care of the requirement or
                      not is an interesting but rather a moot point insofar as my particular
                      hardware is concerned. So if we are talking past one another, don't
                      bother checking your Memex card solely on my account... I do not have
                      one. I am more interested in what effect the resistor modification
                      might have on a non-GenMod v1.0 eprom. Just how many systems do you
                      have set up? Sounds like you have several. BTW, thanks for the posts.
                      A lot of great information in them. Mike

                      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Sullivan, Bill" <sullivanbill@...> wrote:

                      > True. I did state the requirement backwards, but I've wondered
                      about it
                      > from the beginning as I believe the MEMEX card takes care of the
                      > requirement either way. The switches on the MEMEX are set differently
                      > for a GenMod Geneve versus a non-GenMod Geneve, and there is a pin on
                      > one chip that is removed from the socket for one situation or the
                      > other. I don't remember which way it is, and I don't have time right
                      > now to go look at my spare MEMEX card, which is set for the non-GenMod
                      > condition.
                      >
                      > I will try to check this out tomorrow, if I can find the time.
                      >
                      > Bill

                    • manito_mike
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
                        "If I do need the resistors, then I will still need to figure out the
                        best physical point-to-point installation of them - there wasn't
                        anything specific on how to add them, unless I missed it."

                        I did find this info, but the block diagrams showing signals into the
                        74als138 only show AMD and AME going into the IC, but the IC pins are
                        not numbered. I believe AMD must be grounded amd AME must go to +5
                        volts. Still need to figure out the pin numbers, the best way to do it
                        and to add a disable switch in the process. Mike
                      • Dan Olson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
                          > I hope you're kidding, and realize that I was.

                          I was kidding about the ST-506 trade, but do have a few 540 meg Western
                          Digital drives that I really could part with, I think, just have to dig
                          them out. I actually would much rather have an ST-506, I suspect it's old
                          enough to fit the "vintage computer" catagory and might get a few bucks on
                          eBay (I'm curious now...). It also doesn't hurt that the 506 or 406 (I
                          didn't realize there were two models) was the first 5.25" MFM hard drive
                          targeted to the Personal Computer market, if I remember correctly.

                          > out! An ST-506 is a whopping FIVE meg full height boat anchor, by the
                          > way, pretty much the same as an ST-406, just different buffering.( I
                          > actually do have one of them in a big humpin' drive case that was set
                          > up with a Myarc personality card. I used them for a while on my old
                          > Techie BBS.) Your ST-412's are 10 meg as I recall, but equally svelte.

                          Yea, actually the last two digits is the unformatted capacity. The
                          ST-412s shipped in the first IBM XTs to come with hard drives (thought not
                          exclusivly). I have one that really took a beating, with a couple large
                          dents in the case, it sounds like a plane taking off when powered up, but
                          actually worked, at least when I tried it last!

                          > I would need to move one pretty badly to pay shipping, as I suspect
                          > you would also. Not to mention making the UPS or FedEx driver decide
                          > to put you on that special list. ( And no, it is not their Christmas
                          > card list). ;)>

                          Just pack it in a really big box with lots of foam and they'll thing
                          there's a whole computer in there. :)

                          Dan
                        • Sullivan, Bill
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                            I believe Thierry is thinking that all Geneves power the additional
                            addressing lines, but that is not the case. Only a GenMod Geneve powers
                            those addressing lines (AMA, AMB & AMC) thereby forcing all peripheral
                            cards to decode those address lines or addressing conflicts will occur.
                            The GenMod manual included instructions for making the necessary mods to
                            most existing peripheral cards of that time. I did the necessary
                            modifications on a number of cards, but I also had an early RAVE99
                            Speech Adapter which didn't decode those lines like later models. So I
                            had a 'Squawking' Geneve until a hardware mod was designed by Ron
                            Walters. Later I got a replacement PAL for the RAVE99 from Michael
                            Becker that did the job without the 'Piggyback & wire nest".

                            All of this just to say I don't think the additional resistors are
                            necessary for non-GenMod Geneves without MEMEX cards or with MEMEX cards
                            nor for GenMod Geneves because the MEMEX card takes care of it. Try it
                            without the resistors. You'll learn soon enough if you have any
                            addressing conflicts.

                            The only real problem with the IDE card will be if it doesn't decode the
                            additional addressing lines, and the IDE is in a GenMod Geneve system!

                            FYI The IDE construction and card layout diagrams do show the resistor
                            layout, and all 3 of my IDE cards have them installed. Unfortunately,
                            only one of the 3 IDE cards is working. I have two Geneve systems; the
                            GenMod unit and a PFM512K+ with an additional 384K on-board. I also
                            have two TI-99/4 systems setup; a 4A and a 4P (full SNUG-TI). However,
                            the shared monitor died a few months back, so they are silent these days.

                            Bill

                            manito_mike wrote:

                            >If I do need the resistors, then I will still need to figure out the
                            >best physical point-to-point installation of them - there wasn't
                            >anything specific on how to add them, unless I missed it. I don't have
                            >a Memex card, so whether the Memex takes care of the requirement or
                            >not is an interesting but rather a moot point insofar as my particular
                            >hardware is concerned. So if we are talking past one another, don't
                            >bother checking your Memex card solely on my account... I do not have
                            >one. I am more interested in what effect the resistor modification
                            >might have on a non-GenMod v1.0 eprom. Just how many systems do you
                            >have set up? Sounds like you have several. BTW, thanks for the posts.
                            >A lot of great information in them. Mike
                            >

                            >--- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Sullivan, Bill" <sullivanbill@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >>True. I did state the requirement backwards, but I've wondered
                            >>

                            >about it
                            >

                            >>from the beginning as I believe the MEMEX card takes care of the
                            >>requirement either way. The switches on the MEMEX are set differently
                            >>for a GenMod Geneve versus a non-GenMod Geneve, and there is a pin on
                            >>one chip that is removed from the socket for one situation or the
                            >>other. I don't remember which way it is, and I don't have time right
                            >>now to go look at my spare MEMEX card, which is set for the non-GenMod
                            >>condition.
                            >>
                            >>I will try to check this out tomorrow, if I can find the time.
                            >>
                            >>Bill
                            >>

                            >For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
                            > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                            > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                            > Send abuse reports to abuse@...
                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • manito_mike
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                              That all makes sense, I guess I just had difficulty thinking someone
                              as brilliant as Thierry would make a mistake like that and not catch
                              and correct it. Can you still get the upgrade PAL for the Rave cards?
                              I need one of those myself. I found my Rave speech adapter but am
                              dimly recalling that it may have done strange things in the Geneve box.

                              BTW, I have a might have a spare composite monitor if you are looking
                              for one. I have a real TI one ( the 10" Panasonic )for sure, and I
                              believe I still have a 1702 Commode Door. Mike

                              --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Sullivan, Bill" <sullivanbill@...> wrote:

                              > I believe Thierry is thinking that all Geneves power the additional
                              > addressing lines, but that is not the case. Only a GenMod Geneve
                              powers
                              > those addressing lines (AMA, AMB & AMC) thereby forcing all peripheral
                              > cards to decode those address lines or addressing conflicts will
                              occur.
                              > The GenMod manual included instructions for making the necessary
                              mods to
                              > most existing peripheral cards of that time. I did the necessary
                              > modifications on a number of cards, but I also had an early RAVE99
                              > Speech Adapter which didn't decode those lines like later models. So I
                              > had a 'Squawking' Geneve until a hardware mod was designed by Ron
                              > Walters. Later I got a replacement PAL for the RAVE99 from Michael
                              > Becker that did the job without the 'Piggyback & wire nest".
                              >
                              > All of this just to say I don't think the additional resistors are
                              > necessary for non-GenMod Geneves without MEMEX cards or with MEMEX
                              cards
                              > nor for GenMod Geneves because the MEMEX card takes care of it. Try it
                              > without the resistors. You'll learn soon enough if you have any
                              > addressing conflicts.
                              >
                              > The only real problem with the IDE card will be if it doesn't decode
                              the
                              > additional addressing lines, and the IDE is in a GenMod Geneve system!
                              >
                              > FYI The IDE construction and card layout diagrams do show the resistor
                              > layout, and all 3 of my IDE cards have them installed. Unfortunately,
                              > only one of the 3 IDE cards is working. I have two Geneve systems; the
                              > GenMod unit and a PFM512K+ with an additional 384K on-board. I also
                              > have two TI-99/4 systems setup; a 4A and a 4P (full SNUG-TI). However,
                              > the shared monitor died a few months back, so they are silent these
                              days.

                              > Bill

                            • Sullivan, Bill
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                                It's not Thierry's mistake. The Myarc Geneve documentation would lead
                                one to believe that the Geneve was ready to address more than 512K
                                on-board memory and 512K external memory. All one had to do was plug it
                                in. However, as Ron Walters, Bud Mills and others discovered that
                                simply was not the case, and is the very reason for the GenMod itself.
                                Additionally, the GenMod also provided the means to swap out the
                                on-board 512K in favor of another 512K of 0 wait-state memory, and
                                thereby turbo boost the Geneve to a full 2MB of 0 wait-state memory.

                                Check with Richard Bell for availability of the RAVE99 PAL from Michael
                                Becker.

                                My dysfunctional monitor that served my TI-99/4A&P systems is a
                                Commodore 1084 which is front-panel switchable to Analog RGB and NTSC
                                Composite. The 4A uses the composite input, and the 4P uses the RGB
                                input. Thanks for the offer anyway.

                                Bill

                              • Ernest Pergrem
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                                  Hi Mike,
                                  Thierry doesn't have a Geneve so most of it is his best educated guess
                                  or based on the experience of others. The only setup that the card
                                  was tested on before we built out cards was Thierry's TI, which is
                                  pretty vanilla (i.e. TI controller, etc.).

                                  It's pretty amazing the technical data he has compiled considering the
                                  doesn't own many of the items.
                                  Ernie

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                                    I sure can't add anything to that! Mike

                                    --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Pergrem" <epergrem@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Mike,
                                    > Thierry doesn't have a Geneve so most of it is his best educated guess
                                    > or based on the experience of others. The only setup that the card
                                    > was tested on before we built out cards was Thierry's TI, which is
                                    > pretty vanilla (i.e. TI controller, etc.).
                                    >
                                    > It's pretty amazing the technical data he has compiled considering the
                                    > doesn't own many of the items.
                                    > Ernie

                                  • Gregg Eshelman
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                                      --- manito_mike <mlchris@...> wrote:

                                      > And I'll trade a full height st-506 MFM for the WD
                                      > 540, oh what the
                                      > heck... make it a full height 10! <grin>. Mike

                                      I wish I still had my first hard drive. A 5 meg
                                      5.25" full height Tandon. Same thing as the 10 meg
                                      but half empty because only half the platters and
                                      heads were installed. Stepper motor driven heads
                                      with an "L" shaped external sensor arm. It had a
                                      safety system where it wouldn't do anything if the
                                      heads had gotten jostled out of home position when
                                      turned off. Two ways to fix it, either carefully
                                      turn the stepper to home position or boot off a
                                      floppy and run a "park" program. Then the drive would
                                      turn its spindle motor on.

                                      It will be total Fandemonium!
                                      August (Fri) 4th, (Sat) 5th & (Sun) 6th, 2006
                                      http://www.fandemonium.org

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Dan Olson
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 2, 2006
                                        > All of this just to say I don't think the additional resistors are
                                        > necessary for non-GenMod Geneves without MEMEX cards or with MEMEX cards
                                        > nor for GenMod Geneves because the MEMEX card takes care of it. Try it
                                        > without the resistors. You'll learn soon enough if you have any
                                        > addressing conflicts.
                                        >
                                        > The only real problem with the IDE card will be if it doesn't decode the
                                        > additional addressing lines, and the IDE is in a GenMod Geneve system!

                                        Maybe I don't fully understand, but if the IDE card does decode the
                                        additional address lines, yet they aren't being driven by the Geneve, then
                                        the bits could be any random value, if not pulled up or down by a
                                        resistor. I don't know if this is the case here or not, just speculating.

                                        Dan
                                      • Sullivan, Bill
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 3, 2006
                                          Before the GenMod we had Geneves in the PEB with other cards, some of
                                          which decoded those lines and many which did not. No one was concerned
                                          nor do I remember discussions about what to do about weird sounds coming
                                          from Speech Modules on RAVE99 cards that didn't have those lines
                                          decoded. That's because I didn't have 'squawking' sounds until I did
                                          the GenMod modification. No GenMod, no problem. Decoding those lines
                                          just prevents the card from responding to addresses the card is not
                                          suppose to respond to, and I doubt that without power on those lines
                                          that there will be sufficient induced energy to randomly set an
                                          inappropriate address condition. If that does happen you've got
                                          something in the PEB that shouldn't be there.

                                          Bill

                                          Bill

                                          Dan Olson wrote:

                                          >>All of this just to say I don't think the additional resistors are
                                          >>necessary for non-GenMod Geneves without MEMEX cards or with MEMEX cards
                                          >>nor for GenMod Geneves because the MEMEX card takes care of it. Try it
                                          >>without the resistors. You'll learn soon enough if you have any
                                          >>addressing conflicts.
                                          >>
                                          >>The only real problem with the IDE card will be if it doesn't decode the
                                          >>additional addressing lines, and the IDE is in a GenMod Geneve system!
                                          >>

                                          >Maybe I don't fully understand, but if the IDE card does decode the
                                          >additional address lines, yet they aren't being driven by the Geneve, then
                                          >the bits could be any random value, if not pulled up or down by a
                                          >resistor. I don't know if this is the case here or not, just speculating.
                                          >
                                          > Dan
                                          >

                                          >For users/owners of TI-99/4A Geneve 9640 computers everywhere!
                                          > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                                          > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                                          > Send abuse reports to abuse@...
                                          >Yahoo! Groups Links