Re: [Yahoo TI99] HFDC and DDCC-1 (80trk)....3.5 floppies...HELP

  • Dan O'Quinn
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
      I think you are confusing the MFDC with the MHFDC

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
        1'st make sure you are using a straight cable
        floppy disk 2 requires NO modifications to the drive
        hook it up first with a 5.25" disk 1 to verify correct operation
        now disconnect disk 1 & 2
        hook up the 3.5 floppy disk 1 (as disk 1 of course) :)
        see if it works as expected
        let us know what happens

        > I would like to upgrade the floppy drives in my TI and Geneve systems
        > to 3.5 floppy drives.
        >
        > I have 1.44 3.5 floppies, properly modded to DSK1 and DSK2.
        >
        > When they are accessed, the light comes on and they are
        > doing "something", but the format always fails.
        >
        > Can you guys help me???
        >
        > I beleive the HFDC is switch correctly according to the manual and it
        > doesn't format.
        >
        > As far as the DDCC-1, I haven't tried yet.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Steve E
        >

        > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
        > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
        > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • david connery
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
          Are you using 1.44 disks? If so cover the HD hole so the drive will default
          to 720k.

          What program are you using to format the disks?

          Is the problem the same on both the TI system and the Geneve system?
          What version of MDOS is being used on the Geneve?

          DaveC

          >I would like to upgrade the floppy drives in my TI and Geneve systems
          > to 3.5 floppy drives.
          >
          > I have 1.44 3.5 floppies, properly modded to DSK1 and DSK2.
          >
          > When they are accessed, the light comes on and they are
          > doing "something", but the format always fails.
          >
          > Can you guys help me???
          >
          > I beleive the HFDC is switch correctly according to the manual and it
          > doesn't format.
          >
          > As far as the DDCC-1, I haven't tried yet.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Steve E
          >

          > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
          > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
          > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dan Olson
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
            > Are you using 1.44 disks? If so cover the HD hole so the drive will default
            > to 720k.

            I thought maybe he was trying to use the drives for 1.44M storage on the
            Geneve, but I'm not sure.

            Dan
          • Nadav Ben-Ami
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
              David,

              Happy to report things are working great. As to the response about
              "covering the HD hole". I have many disks that I have done that to and
              the end result is nothing but major problems such as: disk corruption,
              and or if I manage to format the disk, after awhile, it becomes
              unusable. With DS/DD 3.5 disks becoming more and more scarce, I am
              hoping someone would come up with a way to make formatting a 1.44 disk
              on a 99/4a + Geneve a lot simpler than just puttng a piece of tape over
              the HD hold. Not to mention, the tape gets stuck in the drive which
              causes undo hardship and problems for the disk and drive equally.

              Erik

              david connery wrote:

              >Are you using 1.44 disks? If so cover the HD hole so the drive will default
              >to 720k.
              >
              >What program are you using to format the disks?
              >
              >Is the problem the same on both the TI system and the Geneve system?
              >What version of MDOS is being used on the Geneve?
              >
              >DaveC

            • Bill Sullivan
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Nadav Ben-Ami <nadav3333@e...> wrote:
                > David,
                >
                > Happy to report things are working great. As to the response about
                > "covering the HD hole". I have many disks that I have done that to and
                > the end result is nothing but major problems such as: disk corruption,
                > and or if I manage to format the disk, after awhile, it becomes
                > unusable. With DS/DD 3.5 disks becoming more and more scarce, I am
                > hoping someone would come up with a way to make formatting a 1.44 disk
                > on a 99/4a + Geneve a lot simpler than just puttng a piece of tape over
                > the HD hold. Not to mention, the tape gets stuck in the drive which
                > causes undo hardship and problems for the disk and drive equally.
                >
                > Erik

                What could be simpler than covering the HD hole? Use good tape or
                something better. Besides the Geneve with HFDC doesn't require the HD
                hole to be covered.

                Bill

                > david connery wrote:
                >
                > >Are you using 1.44 disks? If so cover the HD hole so the drive will
                default
                > >to 720k.
                > >
                > >What program are you using to format the disks?
                > >
                > >Is the problem the same on both the TI system and the Geneve system?
                > >What version of MDOS is being used on the Geneve?
                > >
                > >DaveC

              • Nadav Ben-Ami
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                  Out of curiosity, why "can't" the TI-99/4a computer accept 1.44MB
                  disks?? Even with an HFDC this should be possible, but why hasn't there
                  been a modification to allow the 4a to use 1.44MB esp since there are
                  more 1.44MB disks out there to purchase than DS/DD 720K disks? I wonder
                  if it would be possible to create a 1.44 eprom for a DS/DD controller
                  such as Myarc or Corcomp to handle 1.44? It just seems logical to do so.

                  Just my thoughts, or can the 4a support 1.44 through some hardwire
                  modification?

                  Nadav

                  Dan Olson wrote:

                  >>Are you using 1.44 disks? If so cover the HD hole so the drive will default
                  >>to 720k.
                  >>

                  >I thought maybe he was trying to use the drives for 1.44M storage on the
                  >Geneve, but I'm not sure.
                  >
                  > Dan
                  >

                  >For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
                  > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                  > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Nadav Ben-Ami
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                    maybe the tape I was using is not very strong(parts of 3.5 inch disk
                    labels?). Besides, is there a way(through eprom creation) for the 4a
                    itself to access 1.44MB disks fully? I mean, a 286 could do that, but
                    then again I consider the 99/4a with all the impressive hardware out
                    there being more than capable of handling 1.44MB? What is it that the 4a
                    lacks in terms of 1.44 support that the Geneve has? Could it be even
                    possible for a 1.44 eprom to be inserted in a myarc or corcomp disk
                    controller and allow 1.44?

                    I don't own a Geneve, so I would not know off hand how it would look.

                  • Barry Peterson
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                      On 7/5/05, Nadav Ben-Ami <nadav3333@...> wrote:
                      > David,
                      >
                      > Happy to report things are working great. As to the response about
                      > "covering the HD hole". I have many disks that I have done that to and
                      > the end result is nothing but major problems such as: disk corruption,
                      > and or if I manage to format the disk, after awhile, it becomes
                      > unusable. With DS/DD 3.5 disks becoming more and more scarce, I am
                      > hoping someone would come up with a way to make formatting a 1.44 disk
                      > on a 99/4a + Geneve a lot simpler than just puttng a piece of tape over
                      > the HD hold.

                      My (simple) solution is to use DSDD (720KB) drives which don't have a sensor.
                    • Barry Peterson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                        On 7/5/05, Nadav Ben-Ami <nadav3333@...> wrote:
                        > What is it that the 4a
                        > lacks in terms of 1.44 support that the Geneve has?

                        A higher transfer rate. That also precludes the use of 1.2MB drives/disks.
                      • Sullivan, Bill
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                          There is insufficient space in the HFDC 32K EPROM to support HD (36
                          sectors per track) formating. MDOS handles it for the Geneve. All FDC
                          EPROMs (usually 2 x 8K) are less than 16K, and they can't handle the
                          transfer rate in any case..

                          Bill Sullivan <sullivanbill@...>

                        • Dan Olson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                            > labels?). Besides, is there a way(through eprom creation) for the 4a
                            > itself to access 1.44MB disks fully? I mean, a 286 could do that, but
                            > then again I consider the 99/4a with all the impressive hardware out
                            > there being more than capable of handling 1.44MB?

                            Actually, even the origional IBM PC can access 1.44MB disks, of course
                            there are a lot of them kicking around so there are cards with the right
                            controller chip and newer versions of DOS of course allow HD use. The
                            HFDC has the hardware needed, it's just lacking the DSR (at least, that's
                            my understanding, this is why HD works under MDOS).

                            What is it that the 4a
                            > lacks in terms of 1.44 support that the Geneve has? Could it be even
                            > possible for a 1.44 eprom to be inserted in a myarc or corcomp disk
                            > controller and allow 1.44?

                            Just a matter of someone making that eprom :)

                            Dan
                          • Dan Olson
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                              > There is insufficient space in the HFDC 32K EPROM to support HD (36
                              > sectors per track) formating. MDOS handles it for the Geneve. All FDC
                              > EPROMs (usually 2 x 8K) are less than 16K, and they can't handle the
                              > transfer rate in any case..

                              Just because this reply made it before my last one, I suspect if one
                              really really tried, there'd be a way to use a 64k eprom with hardware mod
                              to bank switch it as two 32k eproms or something, or maybe bite the bullet
                              and give up SD support or hard drive support to make room for the HD code.
                              While it is just a lack of the right DSR, that's not to imply that just a
                              little extra code will make everything work perfectly.

                              Dan
                            • david connery
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                That is a solution if you can find 720k drives.
                                BUT!!!
                                If the hd hole is not covered and you need a disk for
                                a PC you may format it and wipe out a TI disk full of programs.

                                5 1/4 write protect tabs work very well to cover the hole. If you
                                wrap them over the top of the disk they should cause no trouble.
                                If you wrap them over the side there is a much greater chance that
                                they will catch in the drive.

                                DaveC

                                >> Happy to report things are working great. As to the response about
                                >> "covering the HD hole". I have many disks that I have done that to and
                                >> the end result is nothing but major problems such as: disk corruption,
                                >> and or if I manage to format the disk, after awhile, it becomes
                                >> unusable. With DS/DD 3.5 disks becoming more and more scarce, I am
                                >> hoping someone would come up with a way to make formatting a 1.44 disk
                                >> on a 99/4a + Geneve a lot simpler than just puttng a piece of tape over
                                >> the HD hold.
                                >
                                > My (simple) solution is to use DSDD (720KB) drives which don't have a
                                > sensor.
                                >

                                > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
                                > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                                > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Dan Olson
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                  > That is a solution if you can find 720k drives.
                                  > BUT!!!
                                  > If the hd hole is not covered and you need a disk for
                                  > a PC you may format it and wipe out a TI disk full of programs.

                                  Maybe it's worth noting, if you can't find 720k drives or worry about the
                                  tape on the hole getting bound up, you can always use low density disks.
                                  I've found that this saves me some confusing because just looking at the
                                  disk tells me what my intended use most likely was (ie low densiy= Amiga
                                  or TI, high density=PC).

                                  Dan
                                • Dan O'Quinn
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                    the only problem with that is most 5.25" write protect tabs are 10+ years
                                    old and the glue is failing
                                    I've never had a problem with plain old electric tape (Stretched tight) or
                                    the Black colored Duct tape works well also

                                    Dan
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                      I have the HFDC in the 99/4A and the DDCC-1 in the Geneve.

                                      Let's start there.

                                      Steve E
                                    • Dan Olson
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                        I know, not to mention that 5.25" write protect tabs aren't a lot easier
                                        to by than 720k disks anyway :) I've always used clear scotch tape,
                                        stretched over the top end of the disk, not the side (like someone already
                                        mentioned). I've only used this for disks that didn't have a write
                                        protect tab, though, I've got way too many 720k disks to bother covering
                                        the density hole.

                                        Dan

                                        On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Dan O'Quinn wrote:

                                        > the only problem with that is most 5.25" write protect tabs are 10+ years
                                        > old and the glue is failing
                                        > I've never had a problem with plain old electric tape (Stretched tight) or
                                        > the Black colored Duct tape works well also
                                        >
                                        > Dan

                                      • Insane Multitasker
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                          1. HD will only work with an HFDC at 1.44MB (High Density)

                                          2. The HFDC can only read/write at HD if a 9216B floppy data separator is
                                          installed. Stock HFDCs usually have a 9216 (no "B"); some 9216 chips will
                                          work at HD speeds, but no guarantees. I do not recall whether or not the
                                          memory chip requires an upgrade to 32K to handle 36 sectors/track (36
                                          sectors x 256 bytes = 9K).

                                          3. High Density diskettes can be read from and written to using a TI, but in
                                          limited operations (usually direct sector only). The HFDC EPROM and the
                                          available disk utilities (DSKU, MDM, etc) are not coded to properly
                                          calculate the bitmap and sector fragments. If DM2K handles 1.44MB and
                                          above, modifying the HFDC EPROM would be a fairly "simple" task given time
                                          and research. Since MDOS code is based on the HFDC EPROM...

                                          4. The Geneve, starting with MDOS 1.53 H (?) will provide access to 1.44MB
                                          HD disks. Jim Schroeder modified MDOS DSR to handle disk sizes up to 12,800
                                          sectors. I later modified the emulate creation utilities to allow for LARGE
                                          drive emulation. RAMDisks use the same code for large disks.

                                          5. You may use HD disks at 720MB (if you cover the hole) or 1.44MB (hole
                                          uncovered). I advise against doing so unless neccessary, as confusing the
                                          disk types can result in frustration months later.

                                          6. All other floppy controllers are limited to Low Density. However, it is
                                          possible to replace the WD1770 with a HD-capable controller if the clock
                                          speeds and other circuitry is adjusted. I don't believe anyone has tried
                                          this... yet.

                                          7. If you expect to use disks interchangeably between the FDC and HFDC, 720K
                                          is your maximum "highest common" format.

                                          Tim

                                          >From: "Steve E" <v22crewchief@...>
                                          >To: ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com
                                          >Subject: [Yahoo TI99] HFDC and DDCC-1 (80trk)....3.5 floppies...HELP
                                          >Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:05:33 -0000
                                          >
                                          >I would like to upgrade the floppy drives in my TI and Geneve systems
                                          >to 3.5 floppy drives.
                                          >
                                          >I have 1.44 3.5 floppies, properly modded to DSK1 and DSK2.
                                          >
                                          >When they are accessed, the light comes on and they are
                                          >doing "something", but the format always fails.
                                          >
                                          >Can you guys help me???
                                          >
                                          >I beleive the HFDC is switch correctly according to the manual and it
                                          >doesn't format.
                                          >
                                          >As far as the DDCC-1, I haven't tried yet.
                                          >
                                          >Thanks,
                                          >
                                          >Steve E
                                          >

                                          >For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
                                          > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                                          > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Beery
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                            I am under the impression that the 1.44 MB format option will only work
                                            on a Myarc HFDC that contains a 32K Ram chip. It ships with an 8K Ram
                                            chip. Also, on a TI system, I did not think the DSR would support 1.44
                                            MB's (less by chance the Hard drive backup routine) while on the
                                            Geneve, the DSR in MDOS did support 1.44 MB's as an option.

                                            The last time I looked at the chip formatting code, you had to
                                            configure the full track in RAM on the HFDC, then issue the format
                                            command. A single track contains 36 spt x 256 bytes + inbetween sector
                                            information that will not physically fit in 8K. If formatting to 720K,
                                            then yes at 18 spt, but not to 1.44 MB capacity.

                                            I know there is a program released for the TI-99/4A that reportedly
                                            would format 1.44 MB on a stock Myarc HFDC, but I never saw/heard
                                            anyone use it successfully. My thoughts were the author of the program
                                            neglected to mention the 32K ram needs.

                                            Beery