Re: [Yahoo TI99] HFDC and DDCC-1 (80trk)....3.5 floppies...HELP

  • Nadav Ben-Ami
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
      Hi Steve! I own an HFDC and will walk you through this. Assume DSK2 is a
      3.5 inch drive(a straight PC floppy cable will work only as A 2ND
      drive). Ok, now according to the HFDC manual it says that switches
      1,2=DSK1 switches 3,4=DSK2, and switches 5,6=DSK3, while 7,8=DSK4. Put
      the switches corresponding to DSK2 in the "UP" position. This will give
      you 80trk capability. Otherwise, in the down position will give you only
      40 Trk capability. Also, make sure if you intend to use a Myarc or
      similar disk controller for more drives to set the CRU of the HFDC to
      something other than >1100. >1100 is used only if you intend to use the
      HFDC as a standalone controller which I would because it is faster than
      a standard floppy controller.

      Now, once you put the 80trk eprom inside the myarc disk controller, flip
      switch "2" in the UP position.

      Hope this helps and good luck!

      Erik

      Steve E wrote:

      >I would like to upgrade the floppy drives in my TI and Geneve systems
      >to 3.5 floppy drives.
      >
      >I have 1.44 3.5 floppies, properly modded to DSK1 and DSK2.
      >
      >When they are accessed, the light comes on and they are
      >doing "something", but the format always fails.
      >
      >Can you guys help me???
      >
      >I beleive the HFDC is switch correctly according to the manual and it
      >doesn't format.
      >
      >As far as the DDCC-1, I haven't tried yet.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Steve E
      >

      >For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
      > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
      > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Dan O'Quinn
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
        I think you are confusing the MFDC with the MHFDC

        > Hi Steve! I own an HFDC and will walk you through this. Assume DSK2 is a
        > 3.5 inch drive(a straight PC floppy cable will work only as A 2ND
        > drive). Ok, now according to the HFDC manual it says that switches
        > 1,2=DSK1 switches 3,4=DSK2, and switches 5,6=DSK3, while 7,8=DSK4. Put
        > the switches corresponding to DSK2 in the "UP" position. This will give
        > you 80trk capability. Otherwise, in the down position will give you only
        > 40 Trk capability. Also, make sure if you intend to use a Myarc or
        > similar disk controller for more drives to set the CRU of the HFDC to
        > something other than >1100. >1100 is used only if you intend to use the
        > HFDC as a standalone controller which I would because it is faster than
        > a standard floppy controller.
        >
        > Now, once you put the 80trk eprom inside the myarc disk controller, flip
        > switch "2" in the UP position.
        >
        > Hope this helps and good luck!
        >
        > Erik
        >

        > Steve E wrote:
        >
        > >I would like to upgrade the floppy drives in my TI and Geneve systems
        > >to 3.5 floppy drives.
        > >
        > >I have 1.44 3.5 floppies, properly modded to DSK1 and DSK2.
        > >
        > >When they are accessed, the light comes on and they are
        > >doing "something", but the format always fails.
        > >
        > >Can you guys help me???
        > >
        > >I beleive the HFDC is switch correctly according to the manual and it
        > >doesn't format.
        > >
        > >As far as the DDCC-1, I haven't tried yet.
        > >
        > >Thanks,
        > >
        > >Steve E
        > >

        > >For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
        > > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
        > > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at
        http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
        > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
        > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dan O'Quinn
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
          1'st make sure you are using a straight cable
          floppy disk 2 requires NO modifications to the drive
          hook it up first with a 5.25" disk 1 to verify correct operation
          now disconnect disk 1 & 2
          hook up the 3.5 floppy disk 1 (as disk 1 of course) :)
          see if it works as expected
          let us know what happens

          > I would like to upgrade the floppy drives in my TI and Geneve systems
          > to 3.5 floppy drives.
          >
          > I have 1.44 3.5 floppies, properly modded to DSK1 and DSK2.
          >
          > When they are accessed, the light comes on and they are
          > doing "something", but the format always fails.
          >
          > Can you guys help me???
          >
          > I beleive the HFDC is switch correctly according to the manual and it
          > doesn't format.
          >
          > As far as the DDCC-1, I haven't tried yet.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Steve E
          >

          > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
          > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
          > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • david connery
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
            Are you using 1.44 disks? If so cover the HD hole so the drive will default
            to 720k.

            What program are you using to format the disks?

            Is the problem the same on both the TI system and the Geneve system?
            What version of MDOS is being used on the Geneve?

            DaveC

            >I would like to upgrade the floppy drives in my TI and Geneve systems
            > to 3.5 floppy drives.
            >
            > I have 1.44 3.5 floppies, properly modded to DSK1 and DSK2.
            >
            > When they are accessed, the light comes on and they are
            > doing "something", but the format always fails.
            >
            > Can you guys help me???
            >
            > I beleive the HFDC is switch correctly according to the manual and it
            > doesn't format.
            >
            > As far as the DDCC-1, I haven't tried yet.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Steve E
            >

            > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
            > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
            > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Dan Olson
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
              > Are you using 1.44 disks? If so cover the HD hole so the drive will default
              > to 720k.

              I thought maybe he was trying to use the drives for 1.44M storage on the
              Geneve, but I'm not sure.

              Dan
            • Nadav Ben-Ami
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                David,

                Happy to report things are working great. As to the response about
                "covering the HD hole". I have many disks that I have done that to and
                the end result is nothing but major problems such as: disk corruption,
                and or if I manage to format the disk, after awhile, it becomes
                unusable. With DS/DD 3.5 disks becoming more and more scarce, I am
                hoping someone would come up with a way to make formatting a 1.44 disk
                on a 99/4a + Geneve a lot simpler than just puttng a piece of tape over
                the HD hold. Not to mention, the tape gets stuck in the drive which
                causes undo hardship and problems for the disk and drive equally.

                Erik

                david connery wrote:

                >Are you using 1.44 disks? If so cover the HD hole so the drive will default
                >to 720k.
                >
                >What program are you using to format the disks?
                >
                >Is the problem the same on both the TI system and the Geneve system?
                >What version of MDOS is being used on the Geneve?
                >
                >DaveC

              • Bill Sullivan
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                  --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, Nadav Ben-Ami <nadav3333@e...> wrote:
                  > David,
                  >
                  > Happy to report things are working great. As to the response about
                  > "covering the HD hole". I have many disks that I have done that to and
                  > the end result is nothing but major problems such as: disk corruption,
                  > and or if I manage to format the disk, after awhile, it becomes
                  > unusable. With DS/DD 3.5 disks becoming more and more scarce, I am
                  > hoping someone would come up with a way to make formatting a 1.44 disk
                  > on a 99/4a + Geneve a lot simpler than just puttng a piece of tape over
                  > the HD hold. Not to mention, the tape gets stuck in the drive which
                  > causes undo hardship and problems for the disk and drive equally.
                  >
                  > Erik

                  What could be simpler than covering the HD hole? Use good tape or
                  something better. Besides the Geneve with HFDC doesn't require the HD
                  hole to be covered.

                  Bill

                  > david connery wrote:
                  >
                  > >Are you using 1.44 disks? If so cover the HD hole so the drive will
                  default
                  > >to 720k.
                  > >
                  > >What program are you using to format the disks?
                  > >
                  > >Is the problem the same on both the TI system and the Geneve system?
                  > >What version of MDOS is being used on the Geneve?
                  > >
                  > >DaveC

                • Nadav Ben-Ami
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                    Out of curiosity, why "can't" the TI-99/4a computer accept 1.44MB
                    disks?? Even with an HFDC this should be possible, but why hasn't there
                    been a modification to allow the 4a to use 1.44MB esp since there are
                    more 1.44MB disks out there to purchase than DS/DD 720K disks? I wonder
                    if it would be possible to create a 1.44 eprom for a DS/DD controller
                    such as Myarc or Corcomp to handle 1.44? It just seems logical to do so.

                    Just my thoughts, or can the 4a support 1.44 through some hardwire
                    modification?

                    Nadav

                    Dan Olson wrote:

                    >>Are you using 1.44 disks? If so cover the HD hole so the drive will default
                    >>to 720k.
                    >>

                    >I thought maybe he was trying to use the drives for 1.44M storage on the
                    >Geneve, but I'm not sure.
                    >
                    > Dan
                    >

                    >For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
                    > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                    > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Nadav Ben-Ami
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                      maybe the tape I was using is not very strong(parts of 3.5 inch disk
                      labels?). Besides, is there a way(through eprom creation) for the 4a
                      itself to access 1.44MB disks fully? I mean, a 286 could do that, but
                      then again I consider the 99/4a with all the impressive hardware out
                      there being more than capable of handling 1.44MB? What is it that the 4a
                      lacks in terms of 1.44 support that the Geneve has? Could it be even
                      possible for a 1.44 eprom to be inserted in a myarc or corcomp disk
                      controller and allow 1.44?

                      I don't own a Geneve, so I would not know off hand how it would look.

                    • Barry Peterson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                        On 7/5/05, Nadav Ben-Ami <nadav3333@...> wrote:
                        > David,
                        >
                        > Happy to report things are working great. As to the response about
                        > "covering the HD hole". I have many disks that I have done that to and
                        > the end result is nothing but major problems such as: disk corruption,
                        > and or if I manage to format the disk, after awhile, it becomes
                        > unusable. With DS/DD 3.5 disks becoming more and more scarce, I am
                        > hoping someone would come up with a way to make formatting a 1.44 disk
                        > on a 99/4a + Geneve a lot simpler than just puttng a piece of tape over
                        > the HD hold.

                        My (simple) solution is to use DSDD (720KB) drives which don't have a sensor.
                      • Barry Peterson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                          On 7/5/05, Nadav Ben-Ami <nadav3333@...> wrote:
                          > What is it that the 4a
                          > lacks in terms of 1.44 support that the Geneve has?

                          A higher transfer rate. That also precludes the use of 1.2MB drives/disks.
                        • Sullivan, Bill
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                            There is insufficient space in the HFDC 32K EPROM to support HD (36
                            sectors per track) formating. MDOS handles it for the Geneve. All FDC
                            EPROMs (usually 2 x 8K) are less than 16K, and they can't handle the
                            transfer rate in any case..

                            Bill Sullivan <sullivanbill@...>

                          • Dan Olson
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                              > labels?). Besides, is there a way(through eprom creation) for the 4a
                              > itself to access 1.44MB disks fully? I mean, a 286 could do that, but
                              > then again I consider the 99/4a with all the impressive hardware out
                              > there being more than capable of handling 1.44MB?

                              Actually, even the origional IBM PC can access 1.44MB disks, of course
                              there are a lot of them kicking around so there are cards with the right
                              controller chip and newer versions of DOS of course allow HD use. The
                              HFDC has the hardware needed, it's just lacking the DSR (at least, that's
                              my understanding, this is why HD works under MDOS).

                              What is it that the 4a
                              > lacks in terms of 1.44 support that the Geneve has? Could it be even
                              > possible for a 1.44 eprom to be inserted in a myarc or corcomp disk
                              > controller and allow 1.44?

                              Just a matter of someone making that eprom :)

                              Dan
                            • Dan Olson
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                > There is insufficient space in the HFDC 32K EPROM to support HD (36
                                > sectors per track) formating. MDOS handles it for the Geneve. All FDC
                                > EPROMs (usually 2 x 8K) are less than 16K, and they can't handle the
                                > transfer rate in any case..

                                Just because this reply made it before my last one, I suspect if one
                                really really tried, there'd be a way to use a 64k eprom with hardware mod
                                to bank switch it as two 32k eproms or something, or maybe bite the bullet
                                and give up SD support or hard drive support to make room for the HD code.
                                While it is just a lack of the right DSR, that's not to imply that just a
                                little extra code will make everything work perfectly.

                                Dan
                              • david connery
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                  That is a solution if you can find 720k drives.
                                  BUT!!!
                                  If the hd hole is not covered and you need a disk for
                                  a PC you may format it and wipe out a TI disk full of programs.

                                  5 1/4 write protect tabs work very well to cover the hole. If you
                                  wrap them over the top of the disk they should cause no trouble.
                                  If you wrap them over the side there is a much greater chance that
                                  they will catch in the drive.

                                  DaveC

                                  >> Happy to report things are working great. As to the response about
                                  >> "covering the HD hole". I have many disks that I have done that to and
                                  >> the end result is nothing but major problems such as: disk corruption,
                                  >> and or if I manage to format the disk, after awhile, it becomes
                                  >> unusable. With DS/DD 3.5 disks becoming more and more scarce, I am
                                  >> hoping someone would come up with a way to make formatting a 1.44 disk
                                  >> on a 99/4a + Geneve a lot simpler than just puttng a piece of tape over
                                  >> the HD hold.
                                  >
                                  > My (simple) solution is to use DSDD (720KB) drives which don't have a
                                  > sensor.
                                  >

                                  > For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
                                  > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                                  > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Dan Olson
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                    > That is a solution if you can find 720k drives.
                                    > BUT!!!
                                    > If the hd hole is not covered and you need a disk for
                                    > a PC you may format it and wipe out a TI disk full of programs.

                                    Maybe it's worth noting, if you can't find 720k drives or worry about the
                                    tape on the hole getting bound up, you can always use low density disks.
                                    I've found that this saves me some confusing because just looking at the
                                    disk tells me what my intended use most likely was (ie low densiy= Amiga
                                    or TI, high density=PC).

                                    Dan
                                  • Dan O'Quinn
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                      the only problem with that is most 5.25" write protect tabs are 10+ years
                                      old and the glue is failing
                                      I've never had a problem with plain old electric tape (Stretched tight) or
                                      the Black colored Duct tape works well also

                                      Dan
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                        I have the HFDC in the 99/4A and the DDCC-1 in the Geneve.

                                        Let's start there.

                                        Steve E
                                      • Dan Olson
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                          I know, not to mention that 5.25" write protect tabs aren't a lot easier
                                          to by than 720k disks anyway :) I've always used clear scotch tape,
                                          stretched over the top end of the disk, not the side (like someone already
                                          mentioned). I've only used this for disks that didn't have a write
                                          protect tab, though, I've got way too many 720k disks to bother covering
                                          the density hole.

                                          Dan

                                          On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Dan O'Quinn wrote:

                                          > the only problem with that is most 5.25" write protect tabs are 10+ years
                                          > old and the glue is failing
                                          > I've never had a problem with plain old electric tape (Stretched tight) or
                                          > the Black colored Duct tape works well also
                                          >
                                          > Dan

                                        • Insane Multitasker
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                            1. HD will only work with an HFDC at 1.44MB (High Density)

                                            2. The HFDC can only read/write at HD if a 9216B floppy data separator is
                                            installed. Stock HFDCs usually have a 9216 (no "B"); some 9216 chips will
                                            work at HD speeds, but no guarantees. I do not recall whether or not the
                                            memory chip requires an upgrade to 32K to handle 36 sectors/track (36
                                            sectors x 256 bytes = 9K).

                                            3. High Density diskettes can be read from and written to using a TI, but in
                                            limited operations (usually direct sector only). The HFDC EPROM and the
                                            available disk utilities (DSKU, MDM, etc) are not coded to properly
                                            calculate the bitmap and sector fragments. If DM2K handles 1.44MB and
                                            above, modifying the HFDC EPROM would be a fairly "simple" task given time
                                            and research. Since MDOS code is based on the HFDC EPROM...

                                            4. The Geneve, starting with MDOS 1.53 H (?) will provide access to 1.44MB
                                            HD disks. Jim Schroeder modified MDOS DSR to handle disk sizes up to 12,800
                                            sectors. I later modified the emulate creation utilities to allow for LARGE
                                            drive emulation. RAMDisks use the same code for large disks.

                                            5. You may use HD disks at 720MB (if you cover the hole) or 1.44MB (hole
                                            uncovered). I advise against doing so unless neccessary, as confusing the
                                            disk types can result in frustration months later.

                                            6. All other floppy controllers are limited to Low Density. However, it is
                                            possible to replace the WD1770 with a HD-capable controller if the clock
                                            speeds and other circuitry is adjusted. I don't believe anyone has tried
                                            this... yet.

                                            7. If you expect to use disks interchangeably between the FDC and HFDC, 720K
                                            is your maximum "highest common" format.

                                            Tim

                                            >From: "Steve E" <v22crewchief@...>
                                            >To: ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com
                                            >Subject: [Yahoo TI99] HFDC and DDCC-1 (80trk)....3.5 floppies...HELP
                                            >Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:05:33 -0000
                                            >
                                            >I would like to upgrade the floppy drives in my TI and Geneve systems
                                            >to 3.5 floppy drives.
                                            >
                                            >I have 1.44 3.5 floppies, properly modded to DSK1 and DSK2.
                                            >
                                            >When they are accessed, the light comes on and they are
                                            >doing "something", but the format always fails.
                                            >
                                            >Can you guys help me???
                                            >
                                            >I beleive the HFDC is switch correctly according to the manual and it
                                            >doesn't format.
                                            >
                                            >As far as the DDCC-1, I haven't tried yet.
                                            >
                                            >Thanks,
                                            >
                                            >Steve E
                                            >

                                            >For users/owners of TI-99/4A and compatibles everywhere!
                                            > Visit the TI99'ers Hall of Fame at http://www.ti99hof.org
                                            > Check out the TI99ers On-Line User Group at http://www.ti99ers.org/home/.
                                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Beery
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 5, 2005
                                              I am under the impression that the 1.44 MB format option will only work
                                              on a Myarc HFDC that contains a 32K Ram chip. It ships with an 8K Ram
                                              chip. Also, on a TI system, I did not think the DSR would support 1.44
                                              MB's (less by chance the Hard drive backup routine) while on the
                                              Geneve, the DSR in MDOS did support 1.44 MB's as an option.

                                              The last time I looked at the chip formatting code, you had to
                                              configure the full track in RAM on the HFDC, then issue the format
                                              command. A single track contains 36 spt x 256 bytes + inbetween sector
                                              information that will not physically fit in 8K. If formatting to 720K,
                                              then yes at 18 spt, but not to 1.44 MB capacity.

                                              I know there is a program released for the TI-99/4A that reportedly
                                              would format 1.44 MB on a stock Myarc HFDC, but I never saw/heard
                                              anyone use it successfully. My thoughts were the author of the program
                                              neglected to mention the 32K ram needs.

                                              Beery