Re: [Yahoo TI99] Error during creation of TI99-PC.IMG file

  • Ernest Pergrem
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
      Thanks Tim,
      Jeff sent me a copy of his file and it exhibited the same problems
      on my machine so it's not the program, which led me to into the
      code.

      The TI Disk to TI99-PC Image routine uses a subroutine that the
      PC99/V9T9 routines don't. After the sub exits a KILL is initiated
      on a file that was apparently created by the routine. Since the sub
      has the possibility of exiting without creating the file the file
      may or may not exist.

      If this file doesn't exist to kill the system generates an
      error which sends the code into a routine that checks for the
      presence of the MANUAL.DAT file, wherein another error is occuring
      which causes the code to rebuild the online help. I haven't traced
      the source of the second error, but by REMing out the sub and KILL
      the TI99-PC image create code runs fine.

      BTW, The offending routine handles long/short file name issues and
      since I'm running a pure DOS 6.22 system the check is un-necessary.
      It's currently 4 AM, so why it can't find the MANUAL.DAT file is for
      another day. :-)

      Thanks for everyone's help.
      Ernie

      --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "TIMOTHY KIRSCH" <KIRSCHTF@H...>
      wrote:
      > Works for me. But I have to use a: drive as there is no b: dirve
      on
      my
      > system. Tim

    • Robert Boyd
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
        I had that problem at one point.It turned out that the c:\temp folder
        did not exist (I think the programme notes specify that this and other
        directories have to be created manually?).
        After I created the folder the problem vanished.

        -----------------RB

        --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Pergrem" <epergrem@y...>
        wrote:
        > I am attempting to create a TI99-PC .IMG file, using option 1 from
        > the "FROM TI-99/4A DISK.. " menu.
        >
        > After specifying a source (B:) and target (C:\TEMP\TI-1.IMG) I
        press
        > ENTER to begin the process. At this point I get the message
        "Please
        > wait while the on-line help files are being built". This happens
        > every time I try to create the img file.
        >
        > I thought that perhaps I had corrupted the program so I installed
        it
        > again. Same message. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
        If
        > not could you email me a copy of your "good" TI99-PC zip file.
        >
        > BTW, I don't have this problem when I select option 2 to create a
        > PC99 format output file.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ernie
      • Ernest Pergrem
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
          Hi Robert,
          Thanks. You are correct, both TEMP and EXTRACT have to be created
          manually.

          My guess is that if I had Windows on this machine I never would have
          encountered this problem because the subroutines would have created
          the necessary file to KILL.

          --- In ti99-4a@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Boyd" <bobboyd99@h...> wrote:
          > I had that problem at one point.It turned out that the c:\temp folder
          > did not exist (I think the programme notes specify that this and
          other
          > directories have to be created manually?).
        • Gregg Eshelman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2005
            --- Robert Boyd <bobboyd99@...> wrote:

            > I had that problem at one point.It turned out that
            > the c:\temp folder
            > did not exist (I think the programme notes specify
            > that this and other
            > directories have to be created manually?).
            > After I created the folder the problem vanished.

            In a DOS system, it's always a good idea to create
            c:\temp then in the autoexec.bat have

            SET TEMP = C:\TEMP
            SET TMP = C:\TEMP

            A normal install of many PC and MS DOS versions will
            default to having

            SET TEMP = C:\DOS

            Not good! Not only will that clutter the DOS directory
            with junk, it'll be especially nasty should you run
            a program that does garbage collection by doing a

            DEL *.*

            on the TEMP or TMP. Ouch. Same stupid business from
            MS that had every Microsoft app for Windows 3.1x
            always defaulting to the Windows directory every time
            the user went to save a file. Other companies had
            their apps always defaulting to the root of C: which
            was incredibly stupid because FAT16 can only hold
            256 files/directories in the root directory.

            I just wanted to thwack them all with a "clue-by-four"...

            It will be total Fandemonium!
            August (Fri) 5th, (Sat) 6th & (Sun) 7th, 2005
            http://www.fandemonium.org

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Gregg Eshelman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2005
              --- Ernest Pergrem <epergrem@...> wrote:

              > Hi Robert,
              > Thanks. You are correct, both TEMP and EXTRACT have
              > to be created
              > manually.
              >
              > My guess is that if I had Windows on this machine I
              > never would have
              > encountered this problem because the subroutines
              > would have created
              > the necessary file to KILL.

              A P.S. To my other post, when installing Windows 3.1x,
              it's default for the TEMP variable is to set/change
              it in the autoexec.bat to C:WINDOWS

              AAAAAAHHHHHHH! Bloody stupid $#^%#ts at Microsoft.

              Fortunately the install gives the user a chance to
              review the proposed changes to autoexec.bat and
              config.sys